back to article Surface Mini fondleslab farewelled

Rumours are emerging in Asia that Microsoft has decided not to enter the phablet market and has canned its rumoured Surface Mini. According to Taiwanese outlet Digitimes, manufacturers' reps say Redmond has followed up its decision in May to delay the never-actually-announced device by cancelling build orders. Digitimes' …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I truly don't understand Microsoft. Surely they have the the calibre of people who can look at an iPad mini and come up with something better. Surely. Or are the few creative ones left stifled by career-manager drones and stack-ranked out?

1. Mage Silver badge

Microsoft

Not a HW or design Style company.

Software and Services.

2. rizb

You're assuming that this unsubstantiated rumour is true.

Of course, since they never actually announced a Surface Mini it's going to be a hard slog proving anything in any direction.

However - personally I'd be interested in such a device if it was pen/stylus led (like the SP3) and featured a properly touch-first Office and Control Panel simply for long battery life and note taking (and no, I am not in a position to put an Android device on the work network before anyone goes there).

1. VinceH

"You're assuming that this unsubstantiated rumour is true."

Quite. This is a rumour about the cancellation of a rumoured project. Think of it like a double-negative.

2. Tom 35

I might be interested in a 7-8" to replace my original surface RT. But I expect they were planing to charge $600 or more, and I would not be interested at that price. I don't think anyone would be who was spending their own money, and I'm sure MS know that now.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
    Headmaster

"Farewelled"? Really?

WTF is wrong with "cancelled" or "terminated"?

1. J. R. Hartley

Re: "Farewelled"? Really?

'Abortionised' would be good. Did I just invent a new word!? (I suppose it should really have a 'Zee' in there instead of the hardworking British S)

3. J. R. Hartley

Oh dear

It's really not Microsoft's decade, is it.

1. Malagabay

Re: Oh dear

It's really not Microsoft's century, is it.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Where's the rest of the sentence?

While it's been an item of speculation since 2013, with a user guide leak in June fanning the flames, in spite of “no comment” responses from Microsoft.

I'm not sure what point was being attempted with that sentence fragment.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Windows 8.1 Update 1 a support nightmare!

A good rant on HUKD about attempting to support Windows 8.1 Update 1...

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/microsoft-surface-2-4g-50-off-489-microsoft-store-1943977#post-comment-nojs

(See Post 5)

You can also buy one of the said dead Surfaces for £50 less, if you please.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like