back to article AMD workstation market share plunges

Intel has recaptured all the market share it lost to AMD last year during the two rival chip makers' battle for supremacy in the Windows workstation arena, the latest market stats show. According to Jon Peddie Research (JPR), AMD's share of the two-socket workstation market slid to just eight per cent during Q1 2007, leaving …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tom Pittman

Looks like Apple sales..

Considering the size of the market it appears that Apple sales account for most of the Intel gain in market share. Hardly earth-shaking news.

2. Jack Pastor

Workstation <> Desktop

I think Workstation is a category of its own (though I could be mistaken.) I don't think Apple is included in that category.

3. Andy Bright

Workstation / Apple

Yeah, Apple don't really come into this - and they didn't use AMD processors anyway, they used IBM's Power PC (and long ago Motorola's Power PC/68000 series processors).

So this isn't really talking about your everyday desktop - workstations tend to have multiple processors (which nowadays have multiple cores) and top of the range graphics cards ($500-$2000).

Only the top 3D, CAD and extremely wealthy home users have these machines - it's probably more of a status thing than a financial thing for AMD.

Having your top end and very expensive processors in top end and very expensive computers makes for good PR - and helps convince the mass market to buy Athlon powered desktops.

4. Jim

So what is a Mac Pro then?

Dual socket, quad core after all?

5. Nick Palmer

Mac Pro

While on the CPU front, the Mac Pro certainly qualifies (I'd say 2 Quad-core Clovertowns is workstation-class in anyone's money), oddly they only offer one workstation-class graphics option. They offer the Mac Pro with a 7300GT (pretty lacklustre, although if you're not doing graphics intensive stuff perfectly fine, and I use one in my work rig currently, albeit that Apple only offer the GDDR2 version rather than the GDDR3-equipped version; an odd choice), a Radeon X1900XT (nice performer, but ATI/AMD's OpenGL performance has never really been up to snuff) or a QuadroFX 4500 (which IS workstation-class, but there're several higher end solutions which they DON'T appear to offer - the 4500X2, 4600, 5500, 5600 or QuadroPlex range). Also, if you're trying to sell a workstation, is posting Doom 3 benchmarks REALLY that relevant - see http://www.apple.com/macpro/graphics.html ?

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Unfortunate, but no surprise...

AMD has always been behind Intel on process transitions. Every time Intel has made an aggressive shift to a new process node AMD has trailed by half a year or more. And everytime AMD has been under extreme pressure just about the time it manages to make the transition.

Intel's current aggressive push with Core1 and then Core2 at 65nm has put AMD in the place it's been repeatedly before. Folks might remember the K6 and the K7 -- in both cases AMD was having so much trouble with process that it had to turn to IBM for fab to get through.

Barcelona doesn't look to be in that kind of trouble ... yet anyway.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like