back to article Ellison: Sparc M7 is Oracle's most important silicon EVER

During his OpenWorld keynote on Sunday, Oracle CEO CTO Larry Ellison took time out from talking up his company's cloud strategy to remind the audience that the database giant is in the hardware business, too – all the way down to the silicon. Many of Oracle's "engineered systems" are powered by Intel processors – and Intel …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice

"32-core chip with 64MB of on-chip L3 cache that can be easily put into a 32-way SMP configuration for a total of 1,024 cores that can handle 8,192 threads"

and to actually run Oracle on it, the licence fee is only 150 BEELION dollars a year.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Nice

the licence fee is only 150 BEELION dollars

Or one new yacht for poor, hard up Larry...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"With memory protection, you can discover those bugs really early"

Congratulations on finally copying Intel NX.

" is by handling compression in silicon – specifically on the decompression side."

Congratulations on copying Intel QuickAssist....

"but the company is still investing in the Sparc processor technology it acquired when it bought Sun Microsystems in 2010."

Presumably Ellison needs something to anchor his yachts to the sea bed....

3. Skoorb

Yeah. It's gonna be pricy.

If you were going to spec a brand new database system tomorrow it's quite hard to justify Oracle (or IBM for that matter) with their pricing.

Not impossible mind, but if they keep it up it may well be unless you are in the Fortune 100.

4. theblackhand

So much negativity.

I'm sure all those Itanium sites out there will be looking to move to SPARC M7's when they realise there aren't going to be any more performance bumps on the Itanium road map....

Cat... Meet pigeons...

1. Matt Bryant Silver badge
        WTF?

RE: the black hand Re: Nice

"So much negativity....." I see the Sunshiners are still having problems dealing with customer feedback.

".....I'm sure all those Itanium sites out there will be looking to move to SPARC M7's....." Hahahahahahahahahahahaaaaa! No, seriously, have you thought of a career in comedy? Why would anyone move from a general purpose CPU on a system with a real support structure to a one-trick pony CPU that has 'optimisations' that cripple it for anything other than Larry's over-priced database software? As the article points out, even Larry's appliance customers prefer x64 for Larry's software. If anyone does move off Itanium it will be to another general purpose CPU such as Power or Xeon, and from a company that has real hardware integration and support capabilities, so not Oracle.

1. theblackhand

Re: RE: the black hand Nice

Not a sunshiner - I just like throwing my hook in the water to see how long it takes for you to bite Mr Bryant.

And I agree that everyone will move to Power or Xeon.

Happy

Re: the black hand Re: RE: the black hand Nice

Backpedal some more and pull the other leg, it has bells on.

1. theblackhand

Re: the black hand RE: the black hand Nice

Saying everyone will move to Power or Xeon isn't backpedalling.

SPARC and Itanium have been in a race for some time to see which platform outlives the other - I suspect SPARC will live longer in the real sense (new hardware and performance bumps) but Intel/HP will keep kicking the dead horse inspite of providing a migration path to Xeon. Sure Itanium to Xeon will be bumpy, but so was the migration to Itanium (what happened to all of our SAP performance when we moved to Itanium? Come back PA-RISC...).

Is Intel planning anything more than a clock speed increase for Itanium or is even that too much to hope for? Is there one more die shrink and cache bump or is all the R&D cut off....

Facepalm

"Saying everyone will move to Power or Xeon isn't backpedalling....." It is when you originally stated that Itanium shops would move to Larry's new M7 kit. I mean, the idea is silly on so many levels - Oracle's SPARC base is shrinking very quickly, removing any economies of scale that Sun had at the turn of the century; the M7 kit, just like all Niagara-derivatives, completely suck on the single-threaded apps that customers are still running on those Itanium systems; the majority of those Itanium systems are hp Integrity kit, which means they come with a whole range of management software, backup and retention software, SAN and networking products, both hp's and partners' products, pre-tested and integrated, that Larry simply can't match, so trying to shoe-horn in M7 also means a massive integration and testing exercise that you simply don't have to worry about with a real 'top-to-bottom' enterprise partner like hp; and M7 is a one-trick pony for Oracle software only, which represents only a fraction of the software those Itanium systems are being used for. Larry already fired all those ex-Sun staff that might have had any non-Oracle integration skills.

But the real reason no-one would consider porting even Oracle DB from hp Integrity to M7 is because hp Integrity is the ONLY platform that Larry is guaranteed to supply Oracle software for, by court order, until hp and Intel finally do decide to can Itanium (http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/02/01/oracle_loses_hp_itanium_appeal/). That means availability at least until the end of support for the current Integrity kit (2020), whereas there are ZERO guarantees that Larry and Fowler will even bring M7 to market. With Hurd the Axeman rising at Oracle you would have to be silly to bet on the CMT line lasting long. Oh, and that lack of guarantee also applies to IBM Power. Larry is just about certain to support Xeon due to market pressure, but there is no contract with IBM that means he can't try and stab them in the back like he tried - and failed - to do to Itanium. And x64 in those enterprise customers that might use Oracle software means hp, so either way hp are laughing. Pretty much as I am at your backpedalling now that you realise what a silly statement you posted.

1. theblackhand

I also said "Cat... Meet pigeons..."

So Itanium's dead by 2020 then?

Any idea when HP will release the x86-64 version of OpenVMS/Non-stop/HP-UX so customers can transition to something acceptable? It would be nice to have something in between good and fast (POWER) and good and slow (Itanium) - who knows, average all round (x86-64) might even bump those server revenues that have been disappearing for so long.

FAIL

"....So Itanium's dead by 2020?....." Oh dear, you really do need help with reading and comprehension. I said 'current kit', as in hp's i4 versions of their blades, the rx2800 server and the Superdome2, which use the current 9500 series Poulsen Itaniums and have support to 2020, and does not take into account any future developments such as the next scheduled version, Kittson. Please do try at least some research between backpedals.

".....Any idea when HP will release the x86-64 version of OpenVMS/Non-stop/HP-UX ...." WTF? There has never been any hp plan for any such port, are you simply desperately pulling stuff out of your arse because you're having trouble backpedalling with those Sunshine Blinkers (TM) on? Seriously, do you know anything about the enterprise market outside your little bubble of Sun? Are you getting confused with Ponytail's hilarious attempts with Slowaris x86? Even Larry was smart enough to realise Slowaris x86 was a dog compared to Linux.

2. MadMike

...Oracle's SPARC base is shrinking very quickly...

SPARC base shrunk for a while, yes. And Oracle lost customers initially, but now the SPARC customer base is growing. Just read the reports about "Unix vendors" etc.

There is no other cpu that can make querys at 120GB/sec. If you need that extreme performance, you need to use Oracle's tailor made SPARC M7 cpu. You could replace a couple of POWER8 or Itanium cpus with one SPARC M7 and get higher performance and save license fees at the same time.

2. PowerMan@thinksis

Boastful bravado

Larry boasts on everything - good for him, I relate. He has $45B while I want $45B. I have to earn mine like he did. My analysis of his boasting is that it is mostly hot air. The most relevant silicon for SPARC was probably UltraSPARC as it transitioned SPARC and SuperSPARC for a decade dominating the industry with US I & II until the ecache issues and 9/11.

M7 seems more like an evolution of the T5 family. They want to give the appearance it is a server processors like UltraSPARC I-IV or SPARC64 but it's base is the T1000. It has improved greatly since then but everything about it shouts "excessive yet deficient". 32 cores sharing 64 MB of L3 is just 2 MB of L3 per core. Appears to be at least a 3 Hop if not 4 Hop design from a core in Socket A to a core in Socket B. That results in NUMA behavior and latency. 2 TB Ram per socket which is 64 GB per core vs 170 GB per core on a 2 socket S824 - that's important when heavy virtualization is used. 2-3X memory bw over prev gens - well they currently have approx 55 GB/s so at 3X that would be 165 GB/s for a single socket with 32 cores compared to 230 GB/s with 4 - 12 x Power8 cores. They don't say what a database accelerator engine another source show it as memory compression which IBM's Power7 has had since March 2010. It's hard to comment but another source shows it as having 8 offload engines. It's an interesting claim that memory compression which introduces cycles into the pipeline can also accelerate database queries. If somebody has more info on this and could share that would be useful.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pint

Re: Boastful bravado

[Everything is the most important X to ever happen in Y. He does have style. I always considered Steve Ballmer to be a cheap imitation of Larry.]

Those were the calls where I had a lot of experience, just no data on current iron. As usual, it's going to come down to TCO where the largest component is Oracle licensing. I'm sure that they'll make it hurt. Have a pint!

1. fch
        Joke

You mean, the new Oracle salesman pitch will be:

"Would you want some free hot chips with your beeleeon-$$$-DB ?"

Oracle is doing something right ... Sun used to give software for free as long as you bought enough hardware. This will be the first one where you get the hardware for free as long as you shell out for the full DB license.

2. Mad Mike

Mmmmmm.

This is interesting as the chip seems much more like a Sparc T than a Sparc M. Guess they're either getting confused or mashing the lines together. Either way, they realised a while ago that 64MB of L3 for 32 cores is way too low for a big database machine and more like the ratios seen in the Sparc Ts, which then got a core drop to increase this ratio for Sparc Ms!! Having had experience of Sparc Ts running certain workloads, I can certainly say you have to be very careful with them as single thread performance really sucks. Critical thread helps, but then you loose a lot of supposed 'benefit', so go figure.

He also likes boasting about facilities that other manufacturers have had for years. As has previously been said, Power has had memory compression for years and has also had memory keying, which is similar to his memory protection. Overall seems like an awful lot of hot air and random boasting about anything and everything.

3. Steven Jones

The announcement appears to be an acceptance that Sparc is no longer a general purpose processing chip but something optimised for running Oracle applications. Admittedly that's an awful lot in the application space - it's not just databases of course. However, it does seem a retreat from what SPARC was once mooted to be. A high-speed RISC general purpose, cost-effect, CPU that could compete on all aspects of performance and suit a wide range of applications.

Of course the real problem is that the T series essentially gave up on single thread performance in favour of increased aggregate throughput. It's a bet that applications will be developed to suit this architecture. As many of us found when deploying T series machines (often bought by senior managers who swallowed SUN's line of power efficiency, throughput and virtualisation), they were fundamentally crippled for some sorts of applications. It often showed itself up where latency was an issue. Call centres are expensive to operate, and keeping agents (and customers) hanging around for slow systems is not efficient.

As it is I would not choose SPARC except for reasons of supporting legacy applications.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"As it is I would not choose SPARC except for reasons of supporting legacy applications."

+1. Ditto Solaris. And Java. In fact anything from Oracle....

4. the spectacularly refined chap

It has improved greatly since then but everything about it shouts "excessive yet deficient". 32 cores sharing 64 MB of L3 is just 2 MB of L3 per core. Appears to be at least a 3 Hop if not 4 Hop design from a core in Socket A to a core in Socket B. That results in NUMA behavior and latency. 2 TB Ram per socket which is 64 GB per core vs 170 GB per core on a 2 socket S824 - that's important when heavy virtualization is used.

You proceed from a false assumption - this isn't x86 commodity hardware. If you think about it in those terms you're going to come to completely inaccurate conclusions. Virtualisation? Diversified app loads? If that's the road you are taking you'd be a mug to take this when x86 can do the same thing for 20% of the cost. No, this is big iron for big jobs - centralised processing of things that can't be split over a number of machines, yet alone run on a small percentage of a machine in a VM.

In that context the cache is more than fine: the cores are going to be largely working from the same data set, but even if they are on different tasks a simple division of the cache among the cores is not enlightening given the law of diminishing returns and the radically different cache utilisation of a diversified load.

I did work at what was then Sun up until about six years ago, albeit on firmware, and I can tell you that those specs will not have been plucked from thin air. They do an awful lot of research when arriving at the headline features, not market research to keep the box tickers like you happy, but proper scrutiny of the loads their customers are actually placing on the hardware and where the real bottlenecks are. If you compare this to x86 running x86 style loads it'll work fine but lets face it, it's hardly going to be cost effective. Instead you specify something like this for loads that would bring x86 to its knees, in which case there is simply no comparison to be made.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

32 cores, eh?

Okay, so it's 32 cores, but it's not 32 cores running in parallel. Think of it as four 8-core chips on a single piece of silicon.

It gets worse....

1. price-performance versus Intel's x86 stuff. You want throughput and want to avoid paying a premium? Chipzilla has you covered.

2. licensing? ouch Ouch and OUCH. Try licensing an Oracle DB for 32 cores. Yeah....

3. everything else. So you want to run a Sun...err...Oracle server. OS licensing, other sw licensing for the support model. Proprietary hardware attaches. Everything costs more. People haven't moved away from Unix for no reason.

Of course there will be plenty of customers who won't move away from Solaris for ideological reasons. There will be customers who don't care about the cost. There will be old school customers who don't want to put Old Bob the sys admin out to pasture and will stick with the platform until he retires. And there will be those few customers that actually need this sort of architecture (<5%). But the rest, frankly, should be fair game.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 32 cores, eh?

> 2. licensing? ouch Ouch and OUCH. Try licensing an Oracle DB for 32 cores. Yeah....

This hardware is perfect for ZFS. hardware compression acceleration will be part of ZFS.

You don't need to run on all available cores DB engine but on access to huge amount of compressed (transparently from application point of view) data you will need a lot of CPU power to compress/decompress these data. Data deduplication is next which is consuming relatively huge CPU power.

You can assign to Solaris project only few cores and pay only for CPU power which needs you database.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"This hardware is perfect for ZFS. hardware compression acceleration will be part of ZFS."

But who actually uses ZFS? Windows Server is cheaper and faster as a fileserver - both for NFS and for SMB. And already includes a much more mature compression AND de-duplication technology.

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. iOS6 user

Windows OOTB has NFS server? Are you sure?

Please provide tests results comparing compression and deduplication on ZFS and Windows (whatever type of fs on this OS)

Please provide as well scale on which this was tested.

Facepalm

Re: iOS6 luser re: 32 cores, eh?

".....Please provide tests results comparing compression and deduplication on ZFS and Windows (whatever type of fs on this OS)...." Please provide a version of ZFS that actually works with hardware RAID and doesn't regularly fall over and corrupt data.

1. MadMike

Re: iOS6 luser re: 32 cores, eh?

....Please provide a version of ZFS that actually works with hardware RAID and doesn't regularly fall over and corrupt data....

ZFS does not work with hardware raid. Everybody who uses ZFS knows that. If you are using ZFS on hardware raid you are doing it wrong. Read up on ZFS before using it. It is like "x86 without ECC RAM might corrupt data - so x86 sucks" this is plain wrong.

ZFS can always detect data corruption using hardware raid, but not might be able to repair the data corruption because hardware raid will interfere with ZFS superior data repair capabilities. ZFS must have direct access to the disks, as ZFS has it's own raid layer. Using another inferior hardware raid layer defeats the purpose of using ZFS. Fail on several levels.

4. RedneckMother

but, but, but...

The cloud! Hardware doesn't matter anymore! (waves hands) Forget about hardware!

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/09/29/larry_ellison_oracle_cloud_keynote/

/snark

5. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Memory Protection

Larry appears to have made a song 'n' dance about memory protection being baked into the silicon.

But hasn't memory protection been around for years in CPUs with MMUs? What's different between the features a standard MMU has and Larry's new toy?

1. tom dial Silver badge

Re: Memory Protection

And well before that in S/360.

2. Michael Wojcik Silver badge

Re: Memory Protection

What's different between the features a standard MMU has and Larry's new toy?

Details seem to be scarce online, but I ran across one quote that mentioned memory keys, so it does appear to be similar to IBM's POWER6 storage protection key mechanism.

It's basically a limited version of a capability architecture - you can assign page protections that are associated with a label, not just global ones, and then only (hardware) threads that hold the corresponding "key" get those permissions.

Conventional MMUs assign page permissions globally, and the kernel sets them on a per-process basis, so your protection granularity is the process. Storage keys let you change the protection granularity to threads and thread groups.

Of course a real capability architecture (AS/400, arguably Burroughs MCP, etc) is much fancier.

6. Sammy Smalls

Thats not the only thing that will be 'baked-in'. So will your goolies to the license agreement.

7. MadMike

Lot of ignorance from the IBM crowd here

trying to trash talk and spread negative rumours of the SPARC M7 cpu. For instance, say that the M7 memory protection new functionality is nothing more than an ordinary MMU. Well, if you read the released information, instead of speculate, you would see why it is not an ordinary MMU:

http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/08/13/oracle-cranks-cores-32-sparc-m7-chip/

https://blogs.oracle.com/ask-arun/entry/in_memory_query_acceleration_of

And regarding the "awful" performance of the SPARC M7, well, let us see IBM POWER8 do 120GB/sec querys. I guess, it can not. Does anyone know what the POWER8 does? 12GB/sec querys? Is that realistic, as POWER8 does not have database hardware accelerators builtin the chip. Well designed specialized hardware accelerators are typically >10x faster or so. For instance, compare GPU vs CPU.

Let the IBM crowd talk. We will see the benchmarks soon, and then it will show IBM crowd was nothing but FUD. Just as usual. IBM is famous for FUD, just check the wikipedia article on FUD, which shows that IBM was the first company to deploy FUD on a systematic way. Other companies have done it occasionally by some individuals, but not systematically by all IBM employees:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fear,_uncertainty_and_doubt#Definition

"...FUD was first defined with its specific current meaning by Gene Amdahl the same year, 1975, after he left IBM to found his own company, Amdahl Corp.: "FUD is the fear, uncertainty, and doubt that IBM sales people instill in the minds of potential customers who might be considering Amdahl products..."

As a side note, I had a ex-IBM boss at my large finance company until a few years back, and I suggested a new service, and among his first reply was that he was worried that our competitors would abuse our service to spread FUD about us. FUD is ingrained in the genetics of IBM, and IBMers and ex-IBMers. No other executive at my large company I discussed my idea with, even mentioned FUD. FUD was not high up in their mind set. But for the ex-IBMer, it was a very high priority. What does this say about IBM and IBMers? FUD is in their genes.

SPARC M6 holds several world records today. And the SPARC M7 is 4-5x faster than the SPARC M6. Let us see the benchmarks, until then you can continue spread the FUD and negative made up rumours.

Ok, let me bite back on all this FUD from the IBM camp:

Have you heard that IBM is going to kill off AIX? IBM has moved resources from AIX to Linux. Development of AIX has slowed. And, no, this is not a rumour that I just made up, this is coming straight from IBM:

http://news.cnet.com/2100-1001-982512.html

"...The day is approaching when Linux will likely replace IBM's version of Unix, IBM's top software executive said..."

And where is the roadmap for POWER8? Why is POWER9 not mentioned anywhere? Is IBM going to kill off POWER too? Any links about POWER9? No? How can you plan your business long term if you dont know if/when IBM is going to kill off POWER? Regarding AIX, it WILL be killed, no doubt about it, as IBM has officially declared it to be killed. Just read the link above with IBM executives. So you better plan long term to migrate from AIX. Your next business system should not run on AIX. It has no future.

POWER8 was late, and it is a disappointment. POWER8 is not much faster than Intel Xeon cpus (that have 1.5TB RAM per socket) while POWER8 only has 1TB RAM per socket. And has IBM announced larger than 2-socket POWER8 servers yet? Will IBM release larger servers? Here the die-hard IBM supporter Timothy Prickett Morgan says that POWER8 might only scale to 16-socket servers, so you can replace an 32-socket P795 with 16-socket POWER8 server that uses less power, having same performance. If less wattage use is the only benefit, why would anyone upgrade from P795 to POWER8? What is the point of POWER8, it is only 2x as fast as POWER7, but scales only half of POWER7, according to Timothy Prickett Morgan:

http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/07/28/ibm-forging-bigger-power8-systems-adding-fpga-acceleration/

“…Depending on how many customers are hitting the performance ceiling on the Power 795, IBM could skip putting out a 32-socket Power8 machine and just got with the 16-socket machine with 16 TB of memory….”

So you choose, 32-socket POWER7 or 16-socket POWER8 - you will not get better performance by choosing POWER8. So what is the point of POWER8

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: Lot of ignorance from the IBM crowd here

trying to trash talk and spread negative rumours of the SPARC M7 cpu. For instance, say that the M7 memory protection new functionality is nothing more than an ordinary MMU. Well, if you read the released information, instead of speculate, you would see why it is not an ordinary MMU:

http://www.enterprisetech.com/2014/08/13/oracle-cranks-cores-32-sparc-m7-chip/

https://blogs.oracle.com/ask-arun/entry/in_memory_query_acceleration_of

The second link has no mention of memory protection that I can see. It just talks about the hardware decompression.

The first link has this to say:

On the Java front, the Sparc M7 has new memory protection features and virtual address masking that will make Java garbage collection easier and more deterministic, according to Fowler. [snip]

The S4 core, for instance, has special instructions to ensure application data integrity, which is done in real-time and which safeguards against invalid or stale memory references and buffer overruns for both Solaris running C and C++ applications and the Oracle database.

Which says bugger all more than the El Reg article.

I'm not trying to bash (pardon the topical pun) Oracle or you, MadMike. I'm genuinely interested in what Oracle (claim to) have done to improve security.

2. Roo

"trying to trash talk and spread negative rumours of the SPARC M7 cpu. For instance, say that the M7 memory protection new functionality is nothing more than an ordinary MMU"

In fairness the quote from Larry didn't exactly spell out what was new or different from anything that had gone before. If you understand the difference you could spell it out for the folks who want a bit more substance than Larry's content free blather.

"let us see IBM POWER8 do 120GB/sec querys."

Nah, let's wait and see if M7 boxes actually show up and do this first in independently conducted repeatable and verifiable tests, after all Larry has incentive to lie and exaggerate his product's performance, and we can't trust anything you say because you keep comparing SPEC to SPEC rate figures... Come to think of it you keep ignoring any SPEC rate figures that beat the SPARCs as well.

"Well designed specialized hardware accelerators are typically >10x faster or so."

You really shouldn't have bothered making that comment, it's content, context and fact free.

"For instance, compare GPU vs CPU."

GPU = executes thousands of short lived threads with very few branches/conditionals, extremely regular memory access patterns, low-medium single thread clock rate...

CPU = executes code with a branch/conditional every 3-6 instructions, highly irregular memory access patterns, very high single thread clock rate.

"And the SPARC M7 is 4-5x faster than the SPARC M6. Let us see the benchmarks, until then you can continue spread the FUD and negative made up rumours."

While we're waiting for some independently verifiable benchmarks, it would be great if you could pop over to spec.org and learn how their benchmarks work so you don't make the mistake of comparing the rate figures to the single core figures again. It shows a lack of professionalism that reflects poorly on you and the products you push so vehemently.

1. MadMike

@Roo

...Nah, let's wait and see if M7 boxes actually show up and do this first in independently conducted repeatable and verifiable tests...

Oracle has delivered six cpus since they bought Sun in the year 2010 - that is four years. Besides, I think all Oracle cpus have been on time, or early. I dont doubt Oracle will deliver this SPARC M7 next year. Oracle is betting very very heavy on SPARC. The magic sauce is Oracle is tieing SPARC very close to the Oracle Database, owning the whole stack. So Oracle can do magic optimizations, for instance 10x faster querys than without hardware accelerators. Or do 120GB/sec querys on one SPARC M7 cpu. IBM nor HP nor Intel can not match 120GB/sec querys on one cpu. Let us see the benchmarks next year. :)

...we can't trust anything you say because you keep comparing SPEC to SPEC rate figures... Come to think of it you keep ignoring any SPEC rate figures that beat the SPARCs as well...

Oh, now it is I, that FUD and ignore your SPEC numbers? Well, let us look at your figures. Let me quote you:

...SPARC T5-1B int 489, fp 369 (Oct 2013 & Apr 2013)

IBM Power 730 Express (4.2 GHz, 16 core, SLES) int 852, fp 575 (Feb 20i13)

Power7+ delivers 70% more int and 50% more fp in those 16 core 2U boxes... IMO the main reason for people to run a SPARC is that they can't run their binaries on something else, the performance argument just doesn't stack up, and it hasn't done for at least a decade....

And why did I ignore your post and did not answer? Well, I did answer and wrote a lengthy post here: http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/2/2014/08/18/oracle_reveals_32core_10_beeellion_transistor_sparc_m7/#c_2277583

I answered and wondered why you compare a 2-socket POWER7 server to a 1-socket Oracle SPARC server in terms of SPEC benchmarks. Is that fair you think? Let me compare a 32-socket SPARC M6 server to a 1-socket POWER6 server - would that be fair you think?

In short, it is you that FUD about me, trying to imply that I avoid SPEC posts. This is supposedly "proving" that SPARC is much slower on SPEC, because I avoid those posts. Well, as anyone can see by reading the link, I do not avoid them. And no, I dont think it is fair to compare two sockets POWER7 to one socket SPARC T5 - and conclude that POWER7 is twice as fast - as you do. That is nothing more than pure FUD.

It is like when Microsoft said that Windows TCO was much lower than Linux. I dug a bit, and it turned out that MS compared Linux running on a small IBM Mainframe (yes, it is true), to Windows running on a PC. Is it fair to compare a Mainframe vs a PC in terms of TCO you think? No, you dont. But why is it fair to compare two POWER7 to one SPARC T5? Why stop there, why not compare four POWER8 to one SPARC instead, while you are at it?

1. Roo
          Windows

"I answered and wondered why you compare a 2-socket POWER7 server to a 1-socket Oracle SPARC server in terms of SPEC benchmarks."

Those two bits of kit were the closest I could find in terms of specification and shipping date. My intention was to illustrate that POWER boxes have quite a big margin over SPARC T5s per core when running highly parallel compute intensive workloads.

"Is that fair you think? Let me compare a 32-socket SPARC M6 server to a 1-socket POWER6 server - would that be fair you think?"

If they were shipping at the same time cost a similar amount and take up a similar amount of power and space, I figure it's a fair comparison... I found that Oracle are quite cagey with their SPEC results, and that is ultimately what drove me to choosing those particular machines for comparison.

"In short, it is you that FUD about me, trying to imply that I avoid SPEC posts."

Naw, there's no FUD, all I do is repeatedly point out that you compared single core results for POWER boxes to multi-core results for SPARC boxes.

I accept your quibble about 2 sockets being better than 1, the extra pin count gives those POWER boxes more memory bandwidth and more I/O bandwidth - and that is a USP for many of the folks who buy POWER boxes.

"This is supposedly "proving" that SPARC is much slower on SPEC, because I avoid those posts. "

Err, no.

What actually happened is that I spent a bit of time to find SPEC submissions of comparable age and hardware config which happened to show that the POWER7 system with a similar number of cores beat the SPARC box by a big margin in a set of compute throughput benchmarks. In case you hadn't noticed the POWER box was using SLES + GCC, while the SPARC box was running Solaris + Oracle's amazing SPEC pwning compiler. If I was a mean bastard I would have posted the AIX figures.

"Why stop there, why not compare four POWER8 to one SPARC instead, while you are at it?"

That's an easy one: Because it would be as pointless and ridiculous as your comparison of SPEC to SPEC_rate results.

1. MadMike

@Roo

....Those two bits of kit were the closest I could find in terms of specification and shipping date. My intention was to illustrate that POWER boxes have quite a big margin over SPARC T5s per core when running highly parallel compute intensive workloads...

And who cares which core is fastest except IBM supporters when we discuss which cpu is the fastest? I understand your viewpoint if we discussed which core is the fastest, but we dont. We are talking about SPARC cpus being much faster than POWER cpus. And from nowhere, you bring up cores??? So your reasoning is something like this:

-POWER has faster cores therefore the POWER is a faster cpu.

Is this logic sound you think? Oh, why am I asking you, of course you think it is reasonable to reason like that. Otherwise you would not have written that.

What about this you think:

SPARC T2+ did much much much more work per Hz than POWER6 (you need 14 fourteen POWER6 cpus to match four SPARC T2+ on official SIEBEL v8 benchmarks). Therefore the SPARC T2+ is faster than the POWER6. Right so?

I pick one small thing that a cpu is faster at, and then try to make the conclusion be valid to the entire cpu. Is this fair? Is it even smart to do? My car has a faster piston than a ferrari, therefore my car is faster than a ferrari. But you wont even stop comparing cores when discussing cpus: on top of this, you compare TWO power cpus vs ONE sparc cpu and concludes the power is faster at benchmarks. This is not smart at no level.

When I compare benchmarks, I always divide so I compare equal number of cpus - otherwise you can not assess anything. "I see that fourteen POWER6 cpus are faster than four SPART T2+ cpus on SIEBEL v8 benchmarks - therefore the POWER6 is a faster cpu"? It is not wise to compare my fortune of 2000 rial to 1995 GBP and conclude that I have more money than you.

If you would do such a comparison in an academic report ever, you would fail badly. Dont do that. You can do it spreading FUD here, but not in academic research. Either you dont understand that this is broken logic, or you are deliberately FUDing.

So, no, I do not ignore your posts about SPEC benchmarks. It is you who try to imply that I avoid them, ontop using unfair and flawed logic comparing two cpus to one.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"And regarding the "awful" performance of the SPARC M7, well, let us see IBM POWER8 do 120GB/sec querys."

But I can go buy a Power 8 CPU today.....

4. PowerMan@thinksis

You complain of FUD then respond with not only FUD but you also are flat out lying in your attempt to disparage Power technology. Criticize the technology but spell it out rather than broad and sweeping statements.You demonstrate an anger that goes beyond competitive differences. You cite TPM, here is a recent article from him on the performance of Power8 vs x86 and SPARC. http://www.itjungle.com/tfh/tfh092914-story02.html

1. MadMike

I appreciate that you have stopped attacking me and calling me names, for now. As you wrote earlier:

"...Spewing more talking points and FUD. You aren't a "fanboi" as that implies loyalty to technology that may or may not be the best. You are dazed and confused...actually I would say you work for Oracle and simply defending the Larry's honor or you work in their marketing department. Maybe you are the new guy and this is part of your hazing - "Get our there and get your butt kicked while saying this and this and don't forget this!".You can't be taken seriously when everything you say is an obvious attempt at disparaging competitive platforms with no substantial data. "Rumours say ..." - whatever!..."

Regarding my "lies" about Power technology, can you point them out and disprove my claims? You know, just saying "you are wrong, but I am not going to tell exactly where you are wrong. Just trust me, you are wrong" - does not convince anyone. According to the definition of FUD, if you claim negative false claims you are doing FUD. Can you show that I do lie, or not? If not, you are the FUDer, not me.

Regarding your link to TPM with benchmarks, I dont see that as a relevant benchmark. The die-hard IBM fan Timothy Pricket Morgan, compares in the benchmark POWER8 against old cpus. Why not compare the latest IBM POWER8 to the latest cpus available on the market? Why compare POWER8 against old Intel Xeon v2, why not Intel Xeon v3? Why compare against the old SPARC T4, why not compare against the SPARC T5 (which is >2x faster)? Well, I guess if TPM did that, POWER8 would not look good. As I said, POWER8 is a disappointment and only on par with the current cpus in terms on performance.

POWER6 was several times faster than x86, and costed 10x more.

POWER7 was 50% faster than x86, and costed 3x more.

POWER8 is not faster than x86 and costs 2x(?) more.

If POWER9 is slower than x86 and cheaper, why would IBM invest in POWER9? IBM only does high margin business. Better to kill POWER off and migrate to x86. And while you are at it, why not migrate to Linux as well? As a coincidence, IBM has said they will kill off AIX. There is not much point in running Linux on POWER9 when it is slower. Nor develop POWER9.

This reminds me of when Intel killed off Itanium. No more roadmaps, no more development, no more performance gains. POWER is there now.

5. Rob Isrob

"So you choose, 32-socket POWER7 or 16-socket POWER8 - you will not get better performance by choosing POWER8. So what is the point of POWER8"

In this case, cheaper licensing costs. One reason Power eroded Oracle on Sun hardware over the years is the Power perf was so much better even with the "factor", Sun made a lot less sense to run Oracle. I've been part of a migration , a huge migration from Sun to Power, migrating to a lot fewer cores and saving a bunch on Oracle licensing costs.

8. Otto is a bear.

Well

Big fan that I was of both Oracle and Sun, not so much now, but..

Is baking in a database accelerator on their own propriety hardware that good an idea, the market in general thinks Oracle's products are over priced, and from my experience, most people don't get Oracle's cloud and core licencing, the view that you would need to licence all 32 cores on a SPARC server is just wrong, but very widely held, even by people who should know better. Solaris allows hard partitioning, as does AIX, but not Hyper-v or VMWare, so Oracle will let you licence by the processors you use for each product with hard partitioning, not the total count, so for AIX and Solaris systems, even Solaris X86, (Azure and Amazon excepted), you only pay for what you use to the nearest whole processor rounded up.

The market however sees the future as Intel X86 and the cloud, and until you can run Windows on a SPARC better than on an X86 box, they are going to loose market share, because in the cloud hardware doesn't matter, unless it's not X86.

It really doesn't matter any more how powerful a SPARC is running Oracle, or how many neat toys are included, not many organisations buy servers like that any more.

1. MadMike

Re: Well

Yes it is a good idea to bake own hardware. The point is that these M7 servers are targeted to the largest workloads, that x86 can not come close.

There are workloads where a cluster does not cut it. For instance, to guarantee database transaction integrity over many nodes is very very very very difficult. It is much easier and cheaper to buy one single large SMP server instead, than solve a difficult problem that no one has solved before. Synchronization messages over a cluster are slow, to nodes far away in the cluster. A tight SMP server is much much faster.

So if you need a x86 server, you are not the primary Oracle DB customer. Then MySQL might suit you. If you have the largest workloads then you are very interested in completing the work in hours or even minutes, instead of never finishing. Yes, JP Morgan executives were astonished that some queries even finished at all on the largest Oracle SPARC servers.

9. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

I can see plenty of jobs for 32 x 32 cores with masses of RAM (just mopped up some drool after reading the specs), but unfortunately not all in DB territory. DB acceleration has much the same pros and cons as any specialist accelerator (like a GPU). Great for some tasks, suck big time on others. I must wait and see how these processors would perform on the tasks we have in mind.

10. Captain Server Pants

Which would you prefer: more cache or much faster cache I/O?

It seems Oracle has gone for the latter. For a system designed to work with in memory db and SSD storage it seems like a natural decision IMO. There is far less latency from persistent storage versus spinning rust. Unfortunately, Oracle's presentation on SPARC M7 cache hierarchy at Hot Chips 26 is still password protected.

11. implicateorder
    Holmes

Get back into the HPC market

HPC is fast growing out of their niche market. Oracle should try and get back into the HPC market...look beyond just running their suite of software on SPARC.

1. Roo
      Windows

Re: Get back into the HPC market

"HPC is fast growing out of their niche market. Oracle should try and get back into the HPC market...look beyond just running their suite of software on SPARC."

Exactly... Fujitsu have done it, with SPARC, repeatedly, so it's clearly possible. But then you look at the state of the art and you are left wondering whether Snoracle have the stones to leap frog stuff that is currently shipping, sadly I think the answer is no. I wish it were otherwise, more competition would be good in the marketplace, but the last time we saw a quantum leap in performance was the DEC Alpha, I suspect that kind of leap in scalar performance isn't repeatable (and in fairness Intel got pretty damn close to it fairly soon after with the Pentium Pro). :)

2. MadMike

I quote myself again:

"...There are workloads where a cluster does not cut it. For instance, to guarantee database transaction integrity over many nodes is very very very very difficult. It is much easier and cheaper to buy one single large SMP server instead, than solve a difficult problem that no one has solved before. Synchronization messages over a cluster are slow, to nodes far away in the cluster. A tight SMP server is much much faster..."

Oracle is interested in Enterprise business market, that is where the big money are. Business. Not research and development as HPC clusters do.

For business, you can only run them on a large SMP server. Clusters wont do it. Clusters are only good for embarassingly parallel workloads. SGI explains that their large Linux Altix and UV servers can only handle HPC cluster workloads. In short, they are clusters, or behave like clusters. You can not run SGI in Enterprise business. For that you need single SMP server, like Unix or Mainframes. The largest Linux server on the market has 8-sockets, everything larger than that are Linux clusters. So for Enteprirse business you need 16 or even 32 sockets. No Linux there.

1. implicateorder

Is that right? What about those new-fangled technologies like distributed databases, shared-nothing architecture etc?

The truth seldom is as simple as we'd like to reduce things to. I get it that Oracle wants to capitalize on it's cash cow (DB primarily) and optimize the heck out of it. The in-memory functionality of Oracle 12c was very impressive. However, the reality is that the world is slowly moving towards distributed, highly deterministic (and almost linearly scalable) architectures (stuff that HPC does very well). So why not revive the old Sun tradition of competing in that space as well?

1. MadMike

...Is that right? What about those new-fangled technologies like distributed databases, shared-nothing architecture etc?...

Yes it is true. Scale-out HPC clusters with 10.000s of cores, can not handle all the workloads that a huge scale-up SMP server, sporting 32 sockets, can. Anyone working in this field knows this. There is a reason Linux SGI Altix and UV clusters sporting 10.000s of cores, can not replace a Unix 32 socket server in the Business Enterprise area:

https://news.ycombinator.com/item?id=8175726

...I'm not saying that Oracle hardware or software is the solution, but "scaling-out" is incredibly difficult in transaction processing. I worked at a mid-size tech company with what I imagine was a fairly typical workload, and we spent a ton of money on database hardware because it would have been either incredibly complicated or slow to maintain data integrity across multiple machines. I imagine that situation is fairly common....

....Generally it's just that it's really difficult to do it right. Sometime's it's impossible. It's often loads more work (which can be hard to debug). Furthermore, it's frequently not even an advantage. Have a read of https://research.microsoft.com/pubs/163083/hotcbp12%20final.... Remember corporate workloads frequently have very different requirements than consumer....

...Both, I suspect. When you consider the cost of engineer time needed to create high performance scale-out systems in a problem domain that requires consistency, scale-up can start to look fairly attractive.....

2. Roo
        Windows

"Synchronization messages over a cluster are slow, to nodes far away in the cluster. A tight SMP server is much much faster...""

For a small subset of definitions of "cluster" "tight" and "SMP" that is true (specifically the non-standard hand-wavey definitions you use). Meanwhile in the real world where people pay real money for stuff to go faster, I have spent over 20 years migrating workloads from monolithic DB centric designs to federations of SMP boxes. People pay me (and lots of other people) real money to help them do these migrations because there isn't a "tight SMP" box fast enough to handle their growing workloads.

By and large any application that uses a DB as a central point of synchronization simply can't play in the big leagues anymore. Sure, there are a bunch of folks out there with more modest requirements, and maybe a SPARC box that doesn't set the SPEC world alight will suit them fine, but that is a pretty tiny and shrinking market - as you well know, most *new* customers will go the x86 route in this day and age.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That would make one hell of a Quake Server.....

Many players could party like it's 1999.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

time to stop looking backwards

Has anyone on this thread read about this new fangled thing called the cloud? Larry has and he's determined to build one to run Oracle software. Makes a lot of sense to take a big box which runs an OS which has exceptional versatility on many levels of virtualisation and isolation (go read up on Solaris Zones) and then optimise the silicon to deliver exceptional performance on said software.

In a world where cloud is a significant chunk of IT, the hardware buyer becomes Oracle itself and not the customer as the customer just buys the software as a service, the hardware it runs on is transparent to the customer.

Incidentally, for companies who have thousands of oracle databases running on thousands of CPUs on thousands of tiny x86 servers, consolidation to a couple of these boxes may seem to be a pretty attractive simplification.

FAIL

Re: AC Re: time to stop looking backwards

"Has anyone on this thread read about this new fangled thing called the cloud? Larry has....." Yes, AWS, Google and Azure peeps are all quaking in their boots at the news, but that's from laughter. Larry is very late to the Cloud party and the market is being cornered by x64 kit (with ARM possibly waiting in the wings). The idea of any CMT kit making it in the Cloud market is farcical as the majority of customers want to run a range of x64 software, which is completely incompatible with any version of SPARC even with their lame container 'zones'.

14. Solmyr ibn Wali Barad

"Has anyone on this thread read about this new fangled thing called the cloud?"

Why, yes. Warm vapour that floats around, thought to be divine or magical. But when it cools a bit, it'll come down raining.

But I can't remember how newfangled it is - we might have had them in the Jurassic period.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like