back to article BT's consumer mobe network suffers tech snags – but telco denies delay claims

BT's return to the consumer mobile market is reportedly being hampered by technical difficulties but the company has denied that the problems could force it to delay its plans. According to the Telegraph, which cited anonymous sources, BT is continuing to wrestle with carrying voice calls and data traffic over Wi-Fi networks …

1. psychonaut

is this correct?

are they then intending to use the bandwidth all their broadband customers have to service this?

sorry - your internet line is even slower than normal due to the fact that we are using it to route somebody elses mobile calls?

1. Archaon

Re: is this correct?

They already do this, just with Wi-Fi rather than voice.

A large chunk of the BT Openzone network comes from BT's business customers who run it from their BT Business Hub, at which point BT subscribers on the right package can use it 'free of charge' and everyone else can purchase access if they want.

There's bandwidth restrictions in place so I don't believe it causes particular performance problems at the moment - and in most cases it's used by business customers running things like cafes who don't really need the bandwidth - but I do have to wonder what happens when they implement QoS for voice calls? If they don't implement QoS it'll probably be unusable for voice, and if they do implement QoS then they risk everything else going to hell once a few people in said cafe start making calls.

Obviously it's firewalled from the local environment but still, no way am I running that on my connection, thanks. I believe it's disabled by default but admittedly it's been so long that I can't remember whether it came turned off or I turned it off.

1. psychonaut

Re: is this correct?

im pretty sure its on all the consumer ones too - i see a lot of home networks and theres always btfon and bt openzone (or similar, going from memory) on the same channel. a lot of these customers only get 2 or 3 megs, and i dont think thats the result of bandwidth throttling, its just that the line is shit

2. ukgnome

I'm full of confidence

After the way they have handled my ongoing broadband fault.....

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm full of confidence

"I'm full of confidence

After the way they have handled my ongoing broadband fault....."

I reckon they probably use a different set of people - I've not yet worked at any company where helpdesk support staff are also the product development team.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Switch of MVNO agreement from Vodafone to EE

I think the main reason that BT moved to EE was less about future consumer mobile plans and more to do with Vodafone having purchased Cable & Wireless Worldwide suddenly making it one of BT's largest competitors for fixed voice and data.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Problems aren't surprising

Tthey got rid of most of the competent engineers years ago, and outsourced to Indian juniors who lie about test results rather than admit they screwed up. Next step will be to hire consultants to fix the problem, which will drive costs through the roof. It won't end well, sadly.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like