back to article Inflatables in SPAAACE! ISS 'nauts to enjoy bouncy castle spaceship

Astronauts will be able to enjoy the pleasures of an inflatable spaceship from next year, when a blow-up craft will attach itself to the International Space Station. The Bigelow Expandable Activity Module (BEAM) is expected to be blasted into space aboard SpaceX's Dragon cargo spacecraft at some point in 2015, the firm behind …

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Not a problem - he can always join forces with Russia. Oh, wait...

1. MachDiamond Silver badge

That's where they had to go to get the two orbiting test habitats launched.

2. AndyS

Bit of an empty article?

This article sounds very interesting - I was hoping for more of an insight into the headline, instead of some jabs at some business-speak. Obviously their sales guy is going to big-up their sector, but the technology sounds interesting too.

How is this module constructed?

How does it maintain air pressure, what are the structural materials, is it comparible to a metal cylinder?

What does the module do? What is it for?

How does it work?

1. AbelSoul
      Coat

Re: Bit of an empty article?

Puff piece?

(Sorry, yes, the one with the roll of burst bubble-wrap in the pocket...)

2. Captain TickTock
      Boffin

follow the links?

1. Archaon
        Paris Hilton

"follow the links?"

I thought this was a new site, not twitter? Did I take a wrong turn?

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge
          Coat

"I thought this was a new site, not twitter? Did I take a wrong turn?"

No. The news is that they are now announcing that they intend to launch a module to the ISS in 2015.

The technology is certainly not new; there are at least 2 in orbit and have been for years, and there is plenty written about how they work, etc. in other places, with handy links provided.

I see that there is also an article about Belkin routers melting. Should that article include pages describing exactly what a router is, and how IP packets are transferred from one interface to the other?

3. cray74

"How is this module constructed? How does it maintain air pressure, what are the structural materials"

Bigelow bought the technology from NASA, which had developed it as the Transhab in the 1990s. I don't know how much Bigelow has changed the materials, but here's a detailed wiki summary of Transhab including the material layering:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransHab

Note that link has plenty of references, including even YouTube animations of Transhab inflating.

Specific Transhab materials in the flexible walls include DuPont "CombiTherm" sealing film, woven Kevlar (or Kevlar-ish) strength layers, outer Nextel ceramic fabric, and insulating foam between the Nextel layers to form a Whipple-like debris shield with thermal insulation. Overall, it was about a foot thick and compressible in addition to foldable.

The Transhab also has a rigid spine of aluminum and/or composites, including a docking interface that would plug in to normal ISS airlocks.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/TransHab#mediaviewer/File:TransHab_level_3.jpg

"is it comparible to a metal cylinder?"

Yes, or it wouldn't be going up there. The strength, as I recall, was similar to a metal pressure vessel. The thick debris shielding exterior was at least as good as the armoring on the rest of the ISS.

"What does the module do? What is it for?"

It is just a demonstration of inflating module technology and some extra elbow room for the astronauts. It's really a case of history going in circles. NASA developed Transhab as a huge extension to the ISS (with ~3 times the volume as the cancelled, metal-walled Habitation Module despite similar lengths). Bigelow bought the technology to build space hotels. Now Bigelow is going back to providing extra habitat space on the ISS.

1. AndyS

@cray74

Thanks - a summary like that would have made the article worth reading!

3. Pen-y-gors

Starbucks, google, amazon...

They'll all be up there and calling the LEO office the corporate HQ, and - surprise, surprise - no-one to pay any taxes to!

1. Mark 85

Re: Starbucks, google, amazon...

And if we follow the old science fiction concepts, the perfect space station is one that rotates on a hub and looks sort of like a certain firm's new HQ. I wonder if they have plans beyond Earth?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Coat

Their SPOKESman refused to confirm or deny the rumours leading to a circular discussion with no end in sight as, at the hub of it all, Apple fritters away money on vanity projects.

<rim-shot>

2. Down not across
        Joke

I wonder if they have plans beyond Earth?

Guess we'll find out when it lifts off

4. Random Q Hacker

Future of space colonization...

Until we get nanites that can build ultra-lightweight structures out of hollow carbon and aluminum on site, inflatables are the future of space colonization. One rocket payload could double the space of the ISS, or deliver several shelters to the surface of Mars. Self-healing goo ala fix-a-flat could deal with air leaks from micro-meteorites. Safer to sleep in a reinforced area, or underground tunnel, but these structures could prove fast and affordable for securing new areas, airlocks, and hydro/ aqua ponics.

1. Vladimir Plouzhnikov

Re: Future of space colonization...

Yes, I have great hopes for this concept, although I'm a bit surprised they are going to test it by connecting it to the ISS...

1. Gene Cash Silver badge

They've already tested it free-flying, and there are not that many space stations to attach it to.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Coat

by connecting it to the ISS...

Which will then become the International Space Inflatable Station, i.e. ISIS.

Oh God.

I hope Team America doesn't notice, otherwise it will be all over in a second via ASAT kill vehicle.

2. cray74

Why not use the nanites to build with something sturdy, like iron alloys and native rock? (I'm assuming your nanites are building something on the moon, Mars, or asteroids. Otherwise, you might as well build the structure on the ground where you can test and inspect it properly.)

1. MrXavia

"Why not use the nanites to build with something sturdy, like iron alloys and native rock?"

inflatable structures actually make more sense, the flexibility makes it more able to survive mishaps in orbit..

1. cray74

"inflatable structures actually make more sense, the flexibility makes it more able to survive mishaps in orbit.."

I was addressing the suggestion to use carbon and aluminum, not the inflatable aspect.

5. Uffish

Naming Rights for the Station....

.... $25 meeelion per year.

It's space Jim, but not as we know it.

6. i like crisps
    Facepalm

TOP TIPS

Instead of paying a private contractor to deliver the 'Blow up craft' to the Space Station, simply fill the inflatable with Helium and float it up to the Astronauts...

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

Re: TOP TIPS

Floating it up would be one thing (or sending up on Virgin Spaceship Two), hooking onto ISS as it whizzes by at a jillion miles per hour is somewhat harder....

As we all know from Hollywood, everything is accessible inside the life support time of a spacesuit, no matter how much the orbits differ.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PLAY NICE NOW

Will the Astronauts have to take their shoes off before they can play in it?

1. tirk

Re: PLAY NICE NOW

At least none of them would have a problem with the weight limit.

A mass limit OTOH....

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

me bouncy

i suppose, test firing the warp engines will have to wait now?

9. i like crisps
    Trollface

"Inflatables in spaaace"

They've had 'inflatables' in space since the start of the Apollo programme, Buzz Aldrins was called Dorris!........can get quite lonely up there.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: "Inflatables in spaaace"

<groan>

Although to be pedantic, the first inflatable in space was Echo 1, an inflated, silvered balloon to bounce radio signals off.

Re: "Inflatables in spaaace"

One could argue that if there's enough atmosphere to sustain a balloon, it's not spaace. :)

One can also argue that ISS isn't _quite_ outside the atmosphere, given that it's air friction which causes it to require periodic reboosting.

10. i like crisps
    Trollface

Puncture Kit

£2.50: Wilkinsons...........$150,000.00 Northrop Grumman.

1. wolfetone Silver badge

Re: Puncture Kit

Football pumps

£4.99 Argos

$250,000 Northrop Grumman

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

PLEASE GOD

let it be like the one in Peter Kays 'Phoenix nights', complete with 'Snakes Eggs'.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

if its bouncy

does that mean Gamma Rays and Xrays are going to bounce off it?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: if its bouncy

Only if they are really, really slow.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

IN SPACE NO ONE CAN HEAR YOU GO

Boing, Boing, Boing,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Boing.

14. sjsmoto

What a totally odd, Sci-Fi looking web site they have. They might as well have put an ad in a comic book, next to the one for x-ray glasses.

1. toxicdragon

Its about time, I spent most of my childhood, and more of my adulthood than I care to admit, wondering why I don't live in a Sci Fi funland, if real world stuff starts to look a lot more like the old films and comics, bring it on.

15. Nunyabiznes
    Coat

This long and nobody has gone there?

It is just a new miles high club with no sharp corners to interrupt the proceedings.

Yes yes the grubby one.

1. TitterYeNot
      Coat

Re: This long and nobody has gone there?

"It is just a new miles high club with no sharp corners"

Interesting idea in a microgravity environment allowing free floating fluids. Ewww....

Mine's the ISS lab coat with the wet patch on the back, and no I don't know who did it or how it got there Goddammit...

Re: This long and nobody has gone there?

"Interesting idea in a microgravity environment allowing free floating fluids. Ewww...."

Astronaughties.

16. Mark 85

"Once it gets into orbit, the inflatable craft will attach itself to Tranquillity, which is a module of the ISS"

Attach itself? Or does it require human intervention? I would wonder if a bit of a glitch in the automation might make it detach itself with human cargo on board. Which makes me wonder if this could be used as the trash truck for the ISS?

17. wolfetone Silver badge

Fairly sure

The missed penalty kick from Aaron Ramsey attached itself to the ISS years ago...

18. imanidiot Silver badge
    Coat

The technology is quite interesting, though I was expecting them to attach something a little larger than this. Some astronauts who flew on Skylab and later on the spaceshuttle have been known to reminisce about the amount of space they had to "screw around" inside Skylab (Which had a 10m diameter open space). If the aim of bigalow is space tourism, at least they should have a similar space for fun times. (No no that kind. Yes, I know how that sounded. Fine, I'll get my coat.)

1. cray74

One said this: "though I was expecting them to attach something a little larger than this."

It's launching in a Dragon capsule's unpressurized storage section. There's not a lot of elbowroom in there.

Another asked this: "Attach itself? Or does it require human intervention?"

As noted in the article, it is being delivered by a Dragon capsule, which is docked to the station by the station's robo-arm. The Bigelow module is inside the Dragon's unpressurized storage bin, so it'll require either more robo-arm installation or a spacewalk.

2. Martin Budden Silver badge

Fun times with an inflatable?!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

TSSSSSssssss.........

Hope the outer skin of this thing is made out of Kevlar, considering the amount of shrapnel (metal shards, rivets, etc) thats floating about at ballistic speeds out there!

1. cray74

Re: TSSSSSssssss.........

The outer layer of the Transhab predecessor concept is 3- to 4-layers of Nextel ceramic fabric separated by foam layers, which work like a Whipple shield against space debris. Inside this are the restraint (strength) and sealant layers.

1. Uffish

Re: Whipple Shield

I searched for whipple shield and got no answer. I do know what a whipple tree is though, so I imagine the shield is some sort of overlapping tile arrangement. Anyone know?

1. cray74

"I searched for whipple shield and got no answer. "

Hmm. You spelled it correctly. Typing 'whipple shield' (no quotes) into Google gets me the illustrated Wikipedia article as the first result, and several NASA pages on orbital debris and Whipple shields in the top 10 results. Incidentally, the name 'Whipple shield' stems from the inventor, Fred Whipple, not the actual tree or harness. Anyway, explanations of the Whipple shield architecture:

This link is my favored article on the Whipple shield because it gives a quick, well-illustrated comparison of solid metal armor to Whipple shields, which are widely-spaced sheets of thin metal. The idea is for hypervelocity space debris to hit the first layer (or "bumper"), evaporate, and then have room to expand into a less-harmful cloud of debris. Ironically, a solid metal plate would help contain the blast and allow the debris to burrow deeper.

http://ares.jsc.nasa.gov/hvit/basic.cfm

Here's a wordier NASA article that explains the Whipple shield in more depth:

http://orbitaldebris.jsc.nasa.gov/protect/shielding.html

And here's a 3M bragging sheet about the use of its Nextel ceramic fabric in Whipple shields. The ultra-high-speed x-rays of a hypervelocity pellet hitting a Whipple shield and evaporating are pretty cool, and informative:

http://www.3m.com/market/industrial/ceramics/pdfs/CeramicFabric.pdf

Incidentally, the Whipple shield is roughly the starting point for the modern tank armor race that started in the 1940s. Spaced armor is fine against irregular space debris, but weapon makers have been figuring out ways to defeat simple spaced armor for decades. Hence shaped charges that produce columnar metal jets; 'long rod penetrators;' tandem charges, and so on. And hence the counter-counter-measures in armor architecture: Chobham layered armor, perforated armor, reactive armor, etc.

1. Uffish
            Facepalm

Thanks.

Where's the dumb idiot can't type icon?

2. MrXavia

in theory its tougher than the aluminium cans they live in now....

In theory it's also self-sealing if there is a puncture.

The ability to "give" a little on impact should make the thing a lot more robust than the metal sections of the station, when it comes to getting punctured in the first place.

1. cray74

"In theory it's also self-sealing if there is a puncture."

Do you have a reference for that theory? The materials currently selected for it aren't the self-sealing sort. Kevlar, CombiTherm, Nextel, and foam don't flow or morph around holes. All of the references to "self-sealing" I've found in conjunction to Bigelow's modules appear in the comments section of news articles.

The only really self-sealing polymer structures I've seen were liners on aircraft fuel tanks that swelled when punctured and exposed to aviation fuel. I'm not aware of something that would do the same for an oxygen-nitrogen atmosphere.

"The ability to "give" a little on impact should make the thing a lot more robust than the metal sections of the station, "

Hypervelocity impacts happen too quickly for large-area responses in structures to occur before the impact is over. Basically, they happen faster than the speed of sound in the material. Thus, whether or not the structure "gives" is moot when an a piece of space debris hits.

Overall, the selected materials are not actually the "giving" type. Kevlar is a very stiff polymer with lower elongation-to-failure than the aluminum favored for the station (Al-6061-T6 and AL 7075-T7352). Nextel ceramic fabric (aluminum oxide) is even worse. I'm sure the foam layers stretch just fine, but they're constrained by Nextel fabric and they add negligible strength to the structure (also, their job during a hypervelocity debris impact is to evaporate and soak a little energy from the fireball generated by the debris hitting the Nextel "bumpers.") Likewise, the CombiTherm stretches nicely but it is constrained by the stiff Kevlar strength layers.

20. ecofeco Silver badge

Finally

Finally.

That is all.

21. i like crisps
    Trollface

"ISS, WHAT APPEARS TO BE THE PROBLEM, OVER?"

"Huston, this is ISS, the Russians won't get out of the BEAM and they've got their shoes on....its not fair, we were supposed to take turns...over".

"ISS this is Huston.....are you crying, over?"

22. Barry Dingle
    Joke

Space Junk

If they connected one of these to each side of the ISS, maybe they could change the acronym to B.A.L.L.S.: Bigelow Attached Low-g Love Spaces.

23. Kharkov
    Happy

Well this is fun but...

A high volume module costing under 18 million dollars? Great.

An indicator showing how things could be in the future? True.

Something you can build LEO hotels out of? Or research labs? Or entirely private space stations? Right with you.

Even something you can make a habitat module out of for astronauts going BEO? Yep.

But all of this STILL requires... low-cost access to space. 7 astronauts/passengers on a 60 million-dollar Dragon v2 equals... 8.5-and-a-bit million dollars PER PERSON.

By all means, lets have high-volume modules, they're the first step to cheaper space stations and interplanetary craft but, most importantly, gotta get the seat price down.

Skylon, taking 20 passengers for only 10 million dollars works out at 500,000 dollars.

Just saying...

1. Martin Budden Silver badge

Re: Well this is fun but...

I'm really looking forward to the next bit of news about progress on Skylon. I realise it's very complex engineering, but it seems like ages since I last heard anything.

1. MacroRodent

I'm really looking forward to the next bit of news about progress on Skylon. I realise it's very complex engineering,

I have always felt the concept of taking in air at Mach N+1 and liquiefying it in microseconds is something that makes even cold fusion seem plausible in comparison...

(But I hope I am wrong... the idea is cool if it works ;-).

1. Kharkov
          Go

Well actually, Skylon doesn't liquefy the air in microseconds, it just cools it by several hundred degrees in microseconds. It's still gaseous, albeit cold and gaseous, when it mixes with the hydrogen fuel.

It is pretty nifty how they manage to cool, but not liquefy, the air by so much without frosting up the pipes and in such a short space of time but that's the special secret sauce that makes the idea feasible.

And yes, it'd be wonderful to get a Skylon article, maybe with some recent quotes from the REL team, outlining the next few years for Skylon...

Hint, hint, El Reg.

2. MrXavia

Costs will drop once SpaceX get their rockets & capsule fully reusable...

Costs will drop again once(if) Reaction Engines get Skylon off the ground.. (which is looking more likely with every milestone they conquer)

SpaceX = Evolutionary

Reaction Engines = Revolutionary

Both concepts are great ideas and have a market.

24. Rob Quinn

Space Hotels

Isn't this the same company that were going to take the big orange tanks the shuttles used, strap them all together in orbit and make a hotel out of them, I was wondering what happened to them.

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So................

From the Reg article:

"NASA has handed Nevada-based Bigelow a whopping $17.8m for the mission, which it hopes will show that low Earth orbit (LEO) is the ideal place for businesses to operate"

Whereas on the Bigelow web site they say that countries, companies, or even visiting individuals can have an astronaut sent to the space station for "only $26.25 million" (nice use of "only" there guys, makes it sound much more reasonable!), or you can lease a third of one of these things for 60 days for "only $25 million"

Somehow I don't think there will be a queue, space may be commercialised one day but not at those prices, if $17 Million is "whopping" whats $25 Million "insanely, ludicrously large"?.

26. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

snap

I wrote to NASA years ago about a dream I had where I was an astronaut, during a space walk I bolted eight quadrants together forming two large discs, about 50' across which were attached to a large ring of crumpled up fabric/foil. Then by pressing a series of buttons a triple walled sausage like foil tube was first inflated on the inside turning the object into a cylinder 100' long and then the next buttons release expanding foam into the internal wall. this formed a hardened tubular structure. Lastly the external wall was filled with water which froze to form a hard outer shell. The section of disc I was working was fitted with a twin door (inner and outer) and porthole, through which climbed, this was the air lock. Once in side I removed the suit and was free to work inside. Oh and the other end of the cylinder had a docking ring to let the shuttle connect to transport equipment on board. looks like I've missed the boat on this one.

And I thought I was crazy??? :o)

27. Andus McCoatover

"What this means is that he is looking forward to an era when private companies have fully colonised the edge of space."

Don''t ya mean:

"What this means is that he is looking forward to an era when American private companies have fully colonised the edge of space®™."

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like