back to article LOHAN crash lands on CNN

It's a tip of the hat today to CNN, which has unleashed a news report nicely capturing the spirit of our audacious Low orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) mission. CNN operatives were down at Vulture Central last Friday during a right royal spaceplane knees-up, as was Nina Trentmann of Die Welt. Those of you of a German …

1. Cliff

Nice

Shame they didn't give the name LOHAN context with PARIS mind, but credit for KARDASHIAN dreams.

Nice article Mr Haines, congratulations.

2. andreas koch
    Paris Hilton

@ Lester Haines

Did Ms Trentmann actually listen to what has been going on, or was she just there for booze and bites?

I had a read through the writeup and it's factually more wrong than right. Or is this intentional, so that it makes a better read for "Welt" subscribers?

Never mind . . .

1. Evil Auditor Silver badge

Re Lester Haines

Agreed. But hey, at least now we know Lester's age! (If by any chance she got that right)

Although I'm not sure if Lester agrees with the other attributes given to him: burly and bald. Are you, Lester?

1. Alister
        Coat

Re: Re Lester Haines

"Although I'm not sure if Lester agrees with the other attributes given to him: burly and bald. Are you, Lester?"

I believe that what they meant to say was, in fact, "solidly-built" and "cool-headed"...

2. Lester Haines (Written by Reg staff) Gold badge

Re: Re Lester Haines

I'd agree with the burly, but I am most certainly not bald.

3. Alister

Nice photo Lester, almost believable that you have boffin credentials :)

1. AndyS

Is it just me though, or is that pipe empty? That'll never do.

1. Captain DaFt

"Is it just me though, or is that pipe empty? That'll never do."

Agreed. Given the spirit of this enterprise, I expect to see some bubbles!

4. Charlie Clark Silver badge
    Coat

KARDASHIAN

That's got to be some kind of stocking filler!

5. jjk
    Facepalm

Die Welt called you a "burly baldie".

They also said LOHAN would be sent up using a hot-air balloon. Just what I'd expect from an Axel Springer rag.

6. Big_Boomer Silver badge

Tacky

PARIS, LOHAN,...... if you are going for tacky women why not JORDAN. You could build in some Bulgarian Funbags and use all the plastic you want.

1. Chizo Ejindu
      Happy

Re: Tacky

Personally i would have thought CYRUS would be the next obvious backronym in this illustrious line :)

7. Pypes

Kelp

Avoiding

Robotic

Deep

Asian

Sea

Heuristic

Intelligence

Automated

Nautilus

Marianas trench is go.

8. Andy The Hat Silver badge

No Nina with a pipe pic? Vulture's standards are slipping ...

9. Andy00ff00

Here's a challenge:-

Korean Airspace Reconnaisance Drone Audaciously Snapping High Indeed Above the North

10. John Deeb

first try at that acronym

KARDASHIAN hmmm, a first dash at it:

Kickstart Assisted Revised ³D Automated Space Haunting Intelligent Agile Nipper

11. ravenviz Silver badge

Autopilot?

Is this a reference to the Playmonaut?

PS: thanks for the mug!

12. Vinyl-Junkie
    Happy

KARDASHIAN

Kickstart-Assisted Rocket Driven Automated Spacecraft Having Intelligent Automatic Navigation

If, as suggested above the next SPB project looks down, rather than up, then Rocket becomes Reaction and Spacecraft becomes Submarine.

There, that's that sorted :)

1. John Deeb

Re: KARDASHIAN

Upvoted, seems an improvement over mine. Still I think the 3d printer reference would be nice to retain. But does it blend? And of course we know nothing yet on the design but it needs to be ass-kicking! Double the kick.

Kickstart Assisted Revised ³D Automated Spacecraft Having Intelligent Ass-kicking Navigation (playmobil pilot included)

1. Vinyl-Junkie

Re: KARDASHIAN

Upvote returned! As that version seems to cover off most things. Particularly I like the fact that it gets rid of my near duplication; to wit: automated and automatic

13. ISYS
    Happy

Well done CNN

Nice intro, factual reporting and a little bit pazaaz! to finish.

The BBC could learn a lot from this.

14. bpfh
    Paris Hilton

CARDASHIAN

Continual Advanced Research and Development into Astrological Heliium Inflated Automated Navigators ?

(Can replace Continual by Kludged..)

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: CARDASHIAN

I think you have the Cardassians mixed up with the Kardashians.

It's easily done, but a good way to remember which is which is that the Cardassians are bad-ass and the Kardashians have bad ass.

15. Hobgoblin

Knowledge

Advancing

Research

Done

Aiding

Science -

Heroism

In

A

Nutshell

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Keck Auto-Removal Drone Autonomously Seeking High Income Armenian Nubiles

or for problems with the FAA

Klystron Amplified Ram Driven Autonomous Stealth Hunter/Interceptor/Assault Ninjabot

17. Tempest8008

I'm not "backronyming" (that's now a verb) anything until I know the mission scope.

1. John Gamble

"Backronyming"

No no -- that's how you define mission scope.

1. Vinyl-Junkie
        Coat

Re: "Backronyming"

It's certainly how marketing do it!

And who needs scope? Mission creep will get you where you want to be!

18. Vinyl-Junkie

Thanks to Hobgoblin for giving me the first few words!

An alternative backronym which I feel captures the SPB team nicely :)

Knowledge Advancing Research Drone Ascends: Scientists Having Ingested Ale Nightly

19. Anomalous Cowturd
    Coat

It would be handy if we knew what your plans were...

Kick-Ass Rocket Derived Automated Spacecraft, Highly Integrated Autonomous Navigation.

Phew!

20. Osgard Leach

As a generic thing, before the mission profile is defined, can we have Kamikaze Altitude, Record Driven, Ale - Science Hybrid, Inter Atmospheric Nonsense?

Or if we're looking to get ahead of ourselves, designwise, then Kite Assisted Rocket Driven Aircraft for Super HIgh Altitude Nonsense.

21. Cubical Drone

25-30 Kilometers?

I can't really get my head around that, in the future could you please express distances in the more acceptable brontosaurus scale. Much appreciated.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon