back to article Hello, Mr Chips(et): Capita grabs bigger slice of UK IT education market

Capita gobbled up a larger piece of the UK's £800m education IT spending market in 2013, with sales up 9 per cent to £234m. According to analyst firm TechMarketView, the top 10 suppliers dominated the education IT market with combined revenues of £741m. Capita’s sales were bolstered by the acquisition of Northgate Managed …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Never understood why schools just don't buy a load of kit on the open market? Or why the government doesn't just bulk purchase the kit at a volume discount price.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Or why the government doesn't just bulk purchase the kit at a volume discount price."

That's what the framework things are all about. Multi-million pound purchase deals at bulk rates which suppliers bid for. The idea being that successful and vetted bidders will still be around to deliver, will have the ability to supply and support as per contract and will bid at bulk rate discount prices. On the downside, there is no obligation on the purchasers side of the contract to actually buy anything at all and as well know from many stories on El Reg, some of the "usual suspects" bid for then fail to deliver anyway.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The schools have never been forced to buy anything from a particular vendor, working in education IT for well over a decade my schools have bought kit from both the above, a lot of kit direct from dell and hp, and plenty of bits from online retailers down to local one man band high street stores...

It's all about playing the game and shopping clever... I like to ensure I save more in tangible savings than I cost per year!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like