back to article ESA's spaceplane cleared for lift-off in February 2015

Arianespace has put the launch of its IXV spaceplane back on the schedule, announcing a February 2015 date for the flight. The launch was recently postponed, but the organisation now says it's agreed with French space agency CNES that IXV – the Intermedia eXperimental Vehicle – will ascend to space on February 11 2015. The …

1. Neil Barnes Silver badge
    Coat

"land on conventional runways"

Presumably it can already do that.

The question is whether it can be used again afterwards. And also, indeed, the runway...

1. graeme leggett Silver badge

Re: "land on conventional runways"

I give you the opening scenes of Six Million Dollar Man.....

1. phil dude
        Joke

was that about a banker?

P.

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
          Joke

Nah, bankers don't do fiddling small change like six million dollars

2. pierce
    Boffin

so the ESA has reinvented the Space Shuttle?

huh.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Apart from the fact that it's a reentry technology demonstrator, unmanned, doesn't have wings, is a fraction of the size, and only cost €150m, then yes, it's virtually identical.

2. Paul Kinsler

Re: reinvented

There's nothing wrong with reinventing stuff, if the result turns out better or more useful.

3. Frankee Llonnygog

re: reinvented the Space Shuttle?

Yes. It needed reinvention

4. Raumkraut

Pix or it doesn't xist

I wonder how long it will be before the/an English language ditches the initial "e" on "experimental", etc. so all these acronyms start making logical sense.

And for those wondering what the actual IXV space-plane looks like, I found this: http://www.esa.int/About_Us/ESTEC/Last_chance_to_see_ESA_s_spaceplane

1. Frankee Llonnygog

Re: Pix or it doesn't xist

I believe Therese May would be keen to stop you dropping the E. Unlike George Perec: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Void

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Bronek Kozicki

Nice animation at ESA’s IXV reentry vehicle mission

2. Montreal Sean

Raumkraut,

The "e" is silent just like in "shite", just ask the North Americans.

:p

3. mIRCat
      Boffin

"And for those wondering what the actual IXV space-plane looks like, I found this"

Yeah? Where's the rest of it?

4. Martin Budden Silver badge
      Paris Hilton

Bulgarian Airbags

I admit it's possible that IXV's airbags might not actually be Bulgarian, but you've got to admit they are impressive.

5. Andy The Hat Silver badge

How the hell do you 'fly' a thing shaped like that? Hats off to the aerodynamicists if it's controllable.

1. imanidiot Silver badge

Is doesn't fly or glide so much as fall like an aerodynamically shaped brick

2. Francis Boyle Silver badge

You don't

If you have a look at the animation linked above you'll see it lands by parachute like just about every re-entry vehicle before it. The difference here is that re-entry is done forwards not backwards* and the flaps provide some degree of control at high speed unlike in a capsule design where at best you have limited controlled by shifting the centre of mass. I'm speculating here, but I suspect more control in re-entry would yield a fuel saving since you wouldn't have to pre-align your orbit with the landing zone plus it would give you more freedom in an emergency.

*Yes, I know, feel free to make your own joke.

3. cray74

"How the hell do you 'fly' a thing shaped like that? Hats off to the aerodynamicists if it's controllable."

With those two flaps on its stern. They're enough to bank the IXV to one side or another, and then aerodynamic lifting forces on the belly shove it in that direction. Or so says Wikipedia. :)

4. Dave Bell

It's in some of the same territory as the NASA lifting body designs of a half-contury ago. Back then they mostly had tail fins, and were flown by humans without computer assistance. The point was that they didn't need wings for lift. And the first, the M2-F1 was towed behind one of those powerful American sports cars. The car needed engine tuning to get up to flying speed. Later tests had it towed into the air behind a C-47.

6. Porco Rosso

Hermes

Is this a further development of the Hermes-unit I saw on Bourget air-show some 25 years ago ?

1. cray74

Re: Hermes

The IXV's aerodynamics differ greatly from the Hermes: different nose (significant for re-entry), no vertical control surfaces, and no wings. Some systems might be recycled between the two vessels, but there's not a lot of obvious commonality.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's nothing compared to

the LOHAN project.

8. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

With it's enhanced direction control...

..it might make a better future ISS lifeboat. There may not be time to wait for an ideal lauch time to aim for a suitable spot with the pretty much uncontrolable Soyuz capsules.

1. BristolBachelor Gold badge

Re: With it's enhanced direction control...

It's sadly lacking in space (and life support) to be a lifeboat. As it is, the Soyuz can depart at a moment's notice; no need to wait while the ISS disintegrates around you (worst case). That is unlike the Space shuttle, which needed to wait until an oportune moment to detach.

9. Josh Cain
    Trollface

erm...

So the ESA is putting a scaled up version of Megan Fox's thumb into space? How's that supposed to work?

10. Long John Brass

New machines

Many machines on Ix. New machines.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like