back to article Human hair will soon be found on moon: Brit astronauts aim for Space

Blighty-backed moonshot Lunar Mission One has managed to hit its Kickstarter goal of £600,000 in crowdfunding, just a day and a half ahead of the cut-off point. After a fast-paced start, helped by media coverage and endorsements from the likes of celebrity rockstar physicist Brian Cox, raised £200,000 in three days, things …

1. AbelSoul
    Pint

Well done folks...

.. funds achieved.

Now, on with the show!

1. Cliff

Re: Well done folks...

tiny fraction of the funds achieved, surely?

The fact that the publicity didn't make much of the fact the kickstarter campaign, at best, would generate enough cash to start, then hit up every backer for more money left me wary. £600k is not a lot of money in space research, especially once you've given kickstarter 10% of it.

1. ElReg!comments!Pierre

Re: Well done folks...

Well, they have some money. Hard to evaluate for me but I'd guess 1/10th of the total budget at most. I guess the plan is to shame .gov and .co.uk into forking the rest of the cash...

2. Sir Sham Cad

Yay

I support any project which aims at getting us back to the moon, especially if there's British involvement. I'm still sore that we shitcanned Blue Streak.

If gimmicks like "we'll put your hair on another celestial body" are what's needed to get it funded, so be it.

I do wish "Because it's worth doing" was enough, though.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Alien

Re: Yay

"I support any project which aims at getting us back to the moon, especially if there's British involvement."

Yes, especially with this year being the 115th anniversary of the first British moon landing.

1. JDX Gold badge

Re: Yay

Yes, 115 is such a significant number. Wait, what?

3. ukgnome

celebrity rockstar physicist Brian Cox

rockstar?

ROCKSTAR?

what blithering halfwit thinks that?

1. Gotno iShit Wantno iShit

Re: celebrity rockstar physicist Brian Cox

Indeed, it's not as if the bloke has a history of involvement in a chart topping band.

Oh, wait...

(Just be facetious, I couldn't agree more with your comment)

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

To be fair, whatever you think of D Ream, according to Wikipedia "They had a UK Number One hit with "Things Can Only Get Better" in 1994 as well as eight more top 40 hits. They released two albums, both of which reached the top five." which is a much more successful career than many of todays manufactureed plastic artists

1. ukgnome

Lets be clear here - D Ream is not a rock band.

therefore Prof Cox has never been a rockstar.

Dr May has been a rock star - maybe Brid-Aine Parnell is getting confused.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Lets be clear here - D Ream is not a rock band."

That's true too, but on the gripping hand, the phrase "a rockstar $scientist" is commonly used to describe popular and/or "cool" scientists who are often in the public limelight and usually highly regarded by much of the public. A bit like describing Worstall as a rockstar economist :-)

4. russell 6

Hairballs in space

Make sure you send your hair with the root attached if you want the chance of aliens analyzing your DNA

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon