back to article Vulture 2 design hero describes epic 'hobby' project

It's a traditional SPB tip of the hat today to Vulture 2 spaceplane designer Chris Dodd, who's been chewing the fat with The Engineer about his involvement with the Low Orbit Helium Assisted Navigator (LOHAN) project. Chris Dodd and the virtual Vulture 2 on a computer monitor Long-term LOHAN fans will recall Chris (pictured …

1. Camilla Smythe

Arghhhh "The Engineer"

That structure is invested with 'double helices'.. !!£$%*&"!!!!11

2. Tikimon

Did I miss the flight testing?

Maybe I missed an article somewhere, but has the aircraft had an actual airborne flight test? It's a beauty, but most planes tend to have a few surprises when you first take them up. Granted that a rocket-fired test is improbable, but it could be dropped from altitude for a glide test. Unless it already has, lol...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Did I miss the flight testing?

"a glide test"

IIRC, the only actual aerodynamic testing has been simulated or when driving aound Spain with the aircraft strapped to the roof of a van.

I don't recall seeing any reports of even just standing in a field and chucking it to see if it glides.

1. Jonathan Richards 1

Re: Did I miss the flight testing?

> standing in a field and chucking it

To be fair, LOHAN's flight regime is not hand-chucking velocity at ground level, so field-chucking tests would not yield any really useful data. And you'd get that lovely paint-job all mucky.

3. bpfh
    Pint

About Vulture 2...

Any sign of the beer jugs from the Kickstarter?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon