back to article Google 'in talks' to buy THAT group, y'know, the one formerly known as ISIS

Google may be looking to buy struggling mobile payments firm Softcard, industry scuttlebutt suggests. The Chocolate Factory is reported to have been snooping around Softcard with an eye to acquiring it for an undisclosed sum of cash that may be less than $100m. Readers may remember Softcard as the mobile payments company …

1. Mark 85

Google already knows too much about us.....

I'm thinking they're interested if only for the database of users. Coupled with Google Wallet (ok.. how many use that?), they not only know our habits and what we buy, they know or will know the size of the users bank account. Even more fine tuning on the target.

I am surprised they haven't tried to grab PayPal for the same reason. Right now, they know you go there and probably what you spend. What they don't know is how much money is in the bank.... yet.

1. Walternate

Re: Google already knows too much about us.....

So maybe Google is more interested in the secure element on the SIM cards that the networks have claimed as their own? This would allow Google to store PAN's in physical secured space rather than the host card emulation/cloud based PAN storage that must currently occur as they have no secure element (remember Apple solved this issue by baking its own non-SIM based SE directly into iphone 6 and iWatch).

2. tempemeaty
    Joke

It's out of this world....LOL...

It makes sense. The deity ISIS married the deity Osiris in Egyptian mythos. Now Google's Earth satellite company(DigitalGlobe) can marry up with the NASA Osiris capsule program in space like a reliving of the deity marriage experience once again. Just keep a watch out for Seth... LOL.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Re: It's out of this world....LOL...

Has amanfrommars changed his ID?

3. southen bastard

"no interest in sharing a name with a group whose name has become synonymous with violence."

"no interest in sharing a name with a group whose name has become synonymous with violence."

but they are a billing companey, isnt that the same as extortion?

4. Irongut

Is Malory skint again?

5. jamesb2147

Antitrust concerns, anyone?

Is there some humor to be found in the fact that ISIS is what kept Google Wallet off the phones of the aforementioned carriers?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

RoLo

I thought that PayPal was an Amazon offshoot and therefore not likely to be for sale. Interestingly Isis's CEO Mr Michael Abbott was interested in my URL "Roamfree.net" before going "softcard", which I think is a much weaker name.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like