back to article Blockhead fugitive Snapchats himself into police custody

The Somerset County Sheriff's Office in Maine cuffed burglary suspect Christopher Wallace this Sunday, following an extraordinary burst of Snapchat buffoonery from the 24-year-old. Several weeks ago the police department made it known that they were seeking Wallace in connection with a burglary. They had been unable to locate …

1. Mark 85
    Holmes

Stupidity is tsn't quite the right word.....

In a 2014 report, the Electronic Frontier Foundation awarded Snapchat a single star (out of a possible six) for its lax protection of user data from government requests. El Reg reckons that the EFF didn't take end-users' stupidity into account.

The police didn't even have to make a request to Snapchat. Someone on his Snapchat list turned him in. This is beyond stupid.

1. Cliff

Re: Stupidity is tsn't quite the right word.....

I think the author knows this and was trying to add a little colour to the piece along the lines of 'they may only be one star but dumb activity can make even that star irrelevant'

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Facepalm

Criminal Darwin Award

Is there a Darwin award equivalent for criminals?

1. Joseph Eoff

Re: Criminal Darwin Award

Yes:

The "Bozo Criminal fo The Day"

http://www.electricferret.com/bozo/

Criminals do so much stupid crap, the site can update daily.

1. Oninoshiko
        Facepalm

Re: Criminal Darwin Award

That site could probably update hourly, if they wanted to!

3. Flash.Gordon

Beggars belief that after searching the house they couldn't find him. Then they searched the cupboard? Not a very good, complete initial search then.

1. Jimmy2Cows Silver badge
      FAIL

Great police training in Maine, then

Sounds very much like they just stuck their head round the kitchen door the first time. "Nope nobody in here, move on to the next room."

Kinda expect crims to do stupid things. Expect cops, certainly US cops, to properly clear a room so they don't find themselves shot in the back of the head.

2. Tom_

"There's one place we didn't look."

1. AbelSoul
        Trollface

Re: "There's one place we didn't look."

Sarge: "We found this spoon, sir!"

Centurion: "Well done, sergeant!"

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Beggars belief that after searching the house they couldn't find him. Then they searched the cupboard? Not a very good, complete initial search then.

Eh? The police searched when he wasn't there. He returned after that search and started his snapchatting. That lead to a call and the police returning to find him in the cupboard. Or have I misread the article, too?

4. David Pollard

Games People Play

Eric Berne described this type of scenario quite well with his Transactional Analysis psychology.

www.ericberne.com/games-people-play/cops-and-robbers/

5. Graham Marsden
    Facepalm

"Found this spoon, Sir..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZXVN7QJ8m88

6. ashdav
    Facepalm

Dumb Criminals

Reminds me of a clip shown on Americas Dumbest Criminals.

Suspect is being interviewed by the police re. a burglary.

Officer " We know you were there. We found your prints all over the place".

Suspect " You couldn't have".

Officer "Why?"

Suspect "Because I was wearing gloves".

You couldn't make it up.

7. Elmer Phud

""A search of the kitchen cabinets turned up some food, some pots and pans, and also a pair of feet. The pair of feet just so happened to be attached to a person, and that person was Christopher Wallace. "

Made oi larf.

8. Little Mouse

I can't stand burglars

...but his kitchen cabinets are tidy, spacious and strong enough to hold a grown man.

I'm feeling conflicted.

1. Andy E
      Holmes

Re: I can't stand burglars

I'm wondering why there was enough space in the cupboard for him to hide there. Had he been burgled?

1. DNTP

Maybe that's where he stored the propane stove he stole, and then hid there on the rationale that "The cops never search the same place twice" because cops are lightning elementals apparently. Then he posted on snapchat because that was how they found him the first time and see the logic in Part 1 and to be fair he got one out of those two things correct.

2. Mike Moyle

"(S)trong enough to hold a grown man."...? I was assuming he hid in the under-counter cabinets. Did I miss something?

1. The First Dave

How many under-counter cabinets use the floor as the bottom shelf?

1. Queasy Rider

How many under-counter cabinets use the floor as the bottom shelf?

Some, many, most, a lot, just the one he was inside. Take your choice.

9. Joseph Eoff

It was only a question of time

He's made it to the "Bozo Criminal of The Day:"

http://www.electricferret.com/bozo/archive/13676-but-arent-snapchat-postings-supposed-to-disappear/

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon