back to article Avengers: Age of Ultron – blisteringly big banter, brawls and brio

Marvel’s Avengers franchise is such a massive, behemoth of a marketing machine, such a merchandise-heavy, almost decade-long suction of talent, time and money that I want to hate it. I want to say, why don’t we spend all that money on independent films? Original stories? Something new, for God’s sake! But there’s just no denying …

1. W Donelson
    Thumb Down

Just a note: I love James Spader. He has been completely brilliant in so many productions.

However, The Blacklist is truly dire television, even by TV standards. The "acting" and "direction" are mechanical and lifeless, the writing is sophomoric.

This is typical Hollywood writing. Ugh.

1. Haku

Hey, I really like The Blacklist, I showed the first episode to a couple of friends and they got hooked to the point of binge watching all the episodes to date.

But everyone else who does like The Blacklist should also check out Banshee

2. John H Woods Silver badge

"The Blacklist is truly dire television, even by TV standards"

No! It's great!

Does that count as a counter argument? If not, your position is hardly better supported: saying you don't like it because the acting, direction and writing is bad is pretty much the equivalent of the announcement that the train is late because it has been delayed. Dismissing something so popular and widely acclaimed (by both critics and the public) as if its lack of quality is immediately apparent to anyone with half a brain is the equivalent of publicly stating that you are smarter than everybody else. It might be true, but it's yet to be proven.

2. pro-logic

*MOVIE DISCUSSION POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

I have to say I found the movie to be a let-down. I actually think this movie shows the first cracks in the Marvel movie universe.

I'd give it between 2-3 out of 5.

Maybe it's because I just finished watching season 1 of Daredevil and I thought that was well done.

Yes Age of Ultron has great fight scenes, it tries to hit the usual comedic notes in the character interactions etc. But overall I found the plot to be pretty piss poor (even by comic book movie standards). Oddly I felt the movie to be 'small' and 'insignificant' is scale.

If somebody asked me if it was worth seeing I'd honestly say no. Possibly only if you're a maaaasive fan of the MCU but other than that nothing special.

1. Gazareth

I don't see any spoilers there. Personally I'd rate it as enjoyable but worse than the first Avengers film.

Main problem for me was trying to fit too much content into a 140 minute film. Not least due to the sheer number of characters. Make it 3 hours and I bet it'd be great.

3. mr. deadlift
    Pirate

Sorry Auth.

i heard the direct corollary, diametric if you will. Usenet or applicable streaming service to prevail, i cannot justify hoi poloi and rorting in the same place. I'm sure they will do just fine when i purchase the dvd for 8 dollars at xmas time.

4. jason 7

Seeing it tomorrow...

...with a pint of real ale tucked the cup holder rather than a £6 bucket of cola.

The joys of an local independent cinema!

I'll still sneak in some Minstrels or Wine gums though.

1. Danny 14

Re: Seeing it tomorrow...

Our local independent in Annan turn a blind eye to BYO. As a result they get more bums on seats.

1. TheFirstChoice

Odeon cinemas allow you to bring in your own food and drink. I imagine no alcohol as they are licensed premises, and I don't know what their position is on bringing a meal from your local fast food outlet in... but it does mean you can avoid the huge price hike on fizzy drinks and sweets if you want to!

1. ukgnome

Vue also allow your own food and drink, although they do ask that you refrain from bringing in alcohol and takeaway mac burger type food.

2. Salts

It does astound that those buckets of cola are legal, can you imagine the outcry if pubs sold beer in that size container :-)

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-32417699

"research has shown that diabetes increases 11-fold for every 150 additional sugar calories consumed compared to fat calories"

Enjoy the film with your healthy option :-)

1. Annihilator

"It does astound that those buckets of cola are legal, can you imagine the outcry if pubs sold beer in that size container :-)"

In fairness, it seems to be mostly ice you're buying. And the soft drink will be watered down by as much as they can get away with.

Cinemas genuinely aren't in the film business - they're in the soft drink and popcorn business. They make very little, if anything, from the actual movies they're showing.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Holmes

"cinema entertainment in its purest"

Oh dear. Pass.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. phil dude
    Coat

3 things....

1) Not shown over here until 1st May...WTF?

2) Joss Whedon is a genius - movie studies are morons.

3) Robert California.

P.

1. ukgnome

Re: 3 things....

1. hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha we actually get a lot of films before you....Hollywood is a lie!

2. he's good, but he's no genius

3. I got nothing!

8. MuddyBoots

Blacklist

i must say i love the blacklist- but just to watch james spader chew the scenery and show up the inconsistent acting of the remaining cast. Plot gets sillier every week, but doesn't quite reach the absurdity of elementary.

1. jason 7

Re: Blacklist

The Happening is insulting TV too. Really badly written especially with regards to police/FBI procedure and the female characters.

We gave up after 6 episodes.

2. Bif

Did they motion-cap Spader for Age of Ultron? He plays Reddington with his head permanently tilted to one side, and the Ultron CGI was doing exactly the same.

1. Gazareth

I believe so. Ultron had identical mannerisms to Red. Amusingly, to reflect the height of the character he had to act with snail-like eyes on stalks on his head. Imagine that if you will.

9. Annihilator

Background

Genuine question, what do I realistically need to have seen to watch this film? Have seen none of the Marvel films, and really don't want to see Thor or Captain America.

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Re: Background

Other reviews have suggested that the character development from the previous films is largely ignored, so I suppose you don't need to have seen the previous ones.

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

"Genuine question, what do I realistically need to have seen to watch this film?"

This isn't a sequel to My Left Foot you know :)

2. Tony Paulazzo

Rent the first Avengers, if you like that you'll like this. I went in wanting to slag it off and loved it. Black Widow (aka Scarlett Johansson) is awesome and needs a film of her own.

See the 2D version, and I'm not saying that because I hate 3D - just some films don't translate well: Avatar, Prometheus, Hobbit, Gravity; great in 3D, not so much Godzilla, Avengers, Star Trek 2 etc...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The Showcase in Leicester did a Marvel Movie Marathon which included the first (midnight) showing of Age of Ultron on the day of release, preceded by Avengers Assemble and Captain America: The Winter Soldier.

Before the showing, I'd wondered why they'd gone for Winter Soldier instead of Iron Man 3, which I had thought would probably fit better given the subject of Age of Ultron. Upon watching them, however, it all made sense... Winter Soldier is almost as much a Black Widow film as a Captain America one, and you're right that she is indeed awesome and needs a film of her own.

Unfortunately it's not currently in the list for films being developed in MCU Phase 3, which goes up to around 2020, but hopefully she'll continue to show up in other films along the way... particularly Avengers: Infinity War parts 1&2 and Captain America: Civil War :p

TL:DR - you don't NEED to have seen the previous films, but if you can watch more of Scarlett Johansson in a snug-fitting black outfit then that's hardly a bad thing... right?

1. jason 7

I would say Iron Man 3 is the most disappointing one of the entire current Marvel crop. Mainly because its so messy, over long and the director thought he was being cool.

Yes...even Iron Man 2 is better than 3.

1. Bucky 2

Also Iron Man 3 suffers from the "Cousin Oliver" syndrome.The cute kid that boosts ratings in the short term, meanwhile giving the die-hard fans diabetes and making them tune out in disgust.

3. codejunky Silver badge

@ Annihilator

All you really need to see is the first avengers film. Its good. As for the single films, Thor is ok but the conclusion is very much ignored for the rest of the series (including avengers) as far as I can tell. The second Thor film is just poor. Captain America is appalling but I enjoyed winter soldier. The best review I have ever found for first avenger (you need a sense of humour for it) is this-

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/customer-reviews/RHX1V0B05HT24/ref=cm_cr_pr_rvw_ttl?ie=UTF8&ASIN=B00F3TCF7O

Iron man is a fantastic film and well worth watching but the second is impossibly bad and the third worse. I havnt seen the hulk films for the same reason as the reboot reboot of spiderman, I want to watch something different (planet of the apes is to blame).

They did a TV spin off called SHIELD but I saw half an episode before having to turn it off for being worse than iron man 3.

10. Suricou Raven

Release date?

When does it come out on 720p torrent?

1. codejunky Silver badge
      Meh

Re: Release date?

On one hand I dislike that you dont support the creative process for films that you like. On the other I dislike that you will have it in better quality than I without any adverts in a format that can be used on many and any of your computing devices while I wait for it to be released.

Damn

11. Frank Bough

I'm not a 10 year old boy

...unfortunately.

1. codejunky Silver badge

Re: I'm not a 10 year old boy

Chicks love it too!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

" blisteringly big banter, brawls and brio"

Strange, the review doesnt mention any wooden train action, despite the title.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Alas for the pun...

"Brio" means [with] enthusiasm and vigour.

Admittedly, the last time I heard the term was during music lessons at school. It's not a word I generally meet (except when mistyping "biro").

13. R Callan
    Boffin

If it doesn't have John Steed and Mrs. Peel I doubt that it is worth watching :<)

1. Mike Moyle

@ R Callan

"If it doesn't have John Steed and Mrs. Peel I doubt that it is worth watching :<)"

The converse does not always hold true, however...

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118661/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_52

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Can i bring my 5 year-old?

He loves all these Superhero lego guys...

1. BXL

Re: Can i bring my 5 year-old?

I don't think that it's suitable for a 5 years old. Reasonably violent and scary in places, some cursing too. 10+ is fine I think.

1. jason 7

Although the cursing is a big in joke...

2. D@v3

It's a 12A, so technically yes, but I don't think it is really suitable for that age, if it was, it would be a PG.

http://www.bbfc.co.uk/releases/avengers-age-ultron-2015

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon