back to article How do you really know if a storage array will perform for you?

When you have an existing storage array infrastructure with a variety of server apps about to hit the array, how do you know if array technology upgrades or even a new array will work as well or better than the existing kit? Do you trust your vendor and generalised performance data: It does 450,000 IOPS? This version is 1.3 …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
    Thumb Down

Advert Label?

In future El Reg, could we have a label on an article when it's just an advertorial rather than a genuine article?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Advert Label?

So how do you propose that the Reg inform its readers of new and useful products? I found the article interesting and plan on sharing with my team.

But maybe I missed something... Can you point out where and how the author crossed the line?

I learned a long time ago to evaluate the info conveyed; is it interesting? is it valuable? is it something I might use? is it good for the community? Did the author trash anyone? Does the author have a history of being unfair? If anything the author did right by masking the identities of the tested; one product won over the other for a specific workload, but who knows how the winner would fare in a different workload.

I've watched customers run scripts that drive up IO to the max and make purchasing decisions based on the max performance; and have been frustrated when you try to explain that max IO is not an indication of the real world.

This tool is a potential next gen way to understand how a product would work in a customer's specific environments; definately a step above a swingbench.

I see no foul...

And as Sgt. Friday used to say, "just the facts mam"; the author did just that.

2. mtuber

Bring back Byte and Switch!

It's a combo of pretend journalism and advertizing. It's Jadvertising at its best!

3. pyite

blktrace -- I/O workload capture

Take a look at the Linux utility blktrace, as a $0 alternative to this.

It is written by the same author as the "fio" I/O test software. One of the nifty features is that blktrace can save the I/O pattern using a format that fio can re-play. This is ideal for capturing real life workloads to test against different storage systems.

4. Last Bandit

Stopped reading 1/3 of the way through, as it's just a big ad.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon