1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

El Reg Cold Call

I didn't think El Reg undertook cold calling of its commentards...?

2. This post has been deleted by its author

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

I'm pretty sure they don't - did you receive a call?

Yep, from someone claiming to be from "The Register" wanting to send me some white papers. (Number withheld...)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Childcatcher

Are you quite certain it was someone from this "The Register" looking for you Mr A Non e-mouse?

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. thondwe

Someone from the reg called me today wanting to send me junk mail. Generally I don't answer numbers withheld or calls via our switch board now as 99% are either grilling me about the University's spending plans or offering me "white papers" which are now entirely advertising brochures

Grrrrrrrrrtrr!

Paul

5. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Anonymous Coward
      Trollface

A distinction without a difference?

6. Conundrum1885

Interesting.

Perhaps someone is doing data mining?

I had a similar call re. my HV research, after about 1 minute figured out that it was clearly some telemarketer or other.

Fortunately no information was given away, although the poor unfortunate at the other end probably wishes s/he had picked another number as the conversation was more metaphysical than science :-)

So far my record is 3 telemarketers pwned, no return calls!

7. SteveK

Someone saying they were from The Register apparently called me this morning, I was out but my colleague took the call - they were going to call back in an hour but never heard any more.

I was hoping I'd won a 6Tb HDD but now I've read this thread, perhaps they were just wanting to sell me stuff?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon