back to article Candy-cane optimism tastes sweet in Disney’s Tomorrowland

I don’t think there’s ever been as Disney-esque a movie as Disney’s new offering, Tomorrowland, from writers Brad Bird (The Incredibles) and Damon Lindelof (Lost). It’s an old-school family adventure about hope and optimism that’s also chock full of corporate in-jokes (many Star Wars props) and product placements based on a …

1. PleebSmash
    Devil

christians beware

"evil Hugh Laurie’s monologuing about what a waste of space humanity is rings a little too true"

So he reprises his role as Dr. Gregory House then.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: christians beware

Nah, House was always cynical with a biting wit. You got the impression that he still had some hope that people could change, although extremely unlikely.

Here, he's just defeatist. He's completely given up and it comes across as bland and uninspired. The monologue in question is really just a litany of modern ecological failings, no depth, no wit. Just a long list.

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Paris Hilton

Is that a nuclear fireball over the Tomorrowland Tower?

3. Epobirs

I've seen the same mistake repeated by over a dozen writers in the past week. Tomorrowland is not a ride. It is a themed section of the park and includes many rides and non-ride attractions. Some of the most memorable parts of Tomorrowland decades ago didn't involve movement but rather were hints of the future. More like the World's Fair. In fact, many exhibits first appeared at the World's Fair and became permanent installations at the Disney park, like the Bell Labs stuff. It may seem silly today but back in 1975 playing Tic-Tac-Toe against a computer on a video display was very impressive. It was the first direct interaction with a computer for millions of people.

4. Jeff Lewis

Tomorrowland is a delightful psychological test and an evil trap for reviewers.

PS: You avoided the trap. Here's your pin. :)

5. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
    Happy

makes you feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Yep, it's just Disney getting back to its roots. You can't really complain about that. A film you can take your kids to without worrying.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: makes you feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

Loved it too, but am surprised it's a 12A instead of PG. I know my wife was worried it would be as violent as the Marvel films (it isn't).

1. Tony Haines

Re: makes you feel a bit warm and fuzzy.

// but am surprised it's a 12A instead of PG.//

All I've seen is the trailer, and I suspect that seeing people getting sliced into chunks by lasers earnt it that for starters.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I loved this film

Inspirational stuff, especially for those of us who believe we have the power to make stuff better, even when there are obstacles in the way.

Whether it's fixing malaria so that the deaths in Africa can be avoided so they can stop being held back by the burden this is placing on their society, or that building sustainable water usage mechanisms means people don't die of drought, or teaching critical thinking allows the separation of dogma from the art of the possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I loved this film

Sadly, I can't say that I did. The film felt rather disjointed. Most of the parts were good, but they weren't connected well.

The movie starts with a flashback to the 60's, when Tomorrowland was still a bright and shining city on a hill. Complete with flying cars, AI and robots, but somehow mysteriously missing jetpacks.

From here we switch to a suspense sequence as Casey is used to introduce us to the current world, which leads up to the action scene with Matrix-esque agents assaulting the booby trapped house.

Once the agents have been evaded, they arrive in Tomorrowland--where Casey is all but forgotten for the remainder of the movie, despite her supposed central role in the story--and the movie switches to haranguing Mankind for short-term opportunism, especially as it concerns the environment.

Each of the three parts of the movie features one of the three main characters and makes the others into supporting characters, which makes the movie feel even odder. Tons of great visual shots throughout the movie, but it comes across as way too random and not enough depth. Far too little subtle juxtaposition and far too much clubbing you over the head with their latest subject.

Don't even ask why a civilization that can manage levitation, teleportation, full AI and can see the future, can't figure out how to move an excess of CO2 and heat some place less harmful.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge

Re: I loved this film

can't figure out how to move an excess of CO2 and heat some place less harmful

Or they could just simply widen the planet's orbit.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon