back to article Facebook prepares to STRAFE the developing world with FRICKIN' internet LASERS

Facebook has been showing off a new laser communications system that CEO Mark Zuckerberg wants to mount on massive solar-powered drones so as to beam the interwebs to inaccessible parts of the world. "As part of our Internet.org efforts, we're working on ways to use drones and satellites to connect the billion people who don't …

1. Tromos

What could possibly go wrong?

Thinking about it - rather a lot. I'd be baling out if I was a shareholder.

2. Drgem

Clouds between the drone flying at 60,000 feet and the ground will reduce the data rate to zero. I wonder if the whiz kids thought of that.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

No they have not......

All the Zuck cares about is data to sell..... The Faceboob users in the US are too dumb to know better..

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

It's always sunny in California...and everyone knows the rest of the world is just like "home"

3. Mark 85

I'm waiting for him to convince the government(s)

If he can convince one or more of the governments that this is a "good thing"... funding at taxpayer expense!!!!!! At least the guy dreams big even if he's a jackass. And no, I, as a taxpayer, don't want to pay for this.

4. M7S

Are these the kind of lasers that cause problems for pilots when they hit the cockpit window?

as if so, several possibilities for "difficulties" come to mind

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Are these the kind of lasers that cause problems for pilots when they hit the cockpit window?

Laser eye surgery on the side?

5. Christoph
    Alien

The advance of technology

It used to be Orbital Mind Control Lasers. Now they don't even have to be in orbit!

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The important question is...

Can they mount the lasers onto sharks?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The important question is...

They ARE frickin sharks ... Haven't you visited Facebook?

(plus you beat me too it)

2. CaptainBanjax

Re: The important question is...

Probably, unless the investors are tight wads. In which case they will have to use mildly agitated seabass instead.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like