back to article David Beckham fakes bewilderment to flog mobiles to Yanks. Fakes?

Fashion model and former one-footed footie ace David Beckham walks into a phone shop and finds it all rather confusing, or so a new US television commercial for mobile operator Sprint would have us believe. While he quizzes AT&T, T-Mobile US and Verizon on their offers, he doesn’t ask the Sprint salesperson anything like as …

1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse

If I was that rich...

I'd own everything including the internets, oceans, most of the people, buildings, and Gwyneth Paltrow.

I'd just get all of my slaves to do all that shopping and phoning stuff so I'm not surprised Becks isn't interested in the details.

1. TheVogon

Re: If I was that rich...

"In the States, however, Golden Balls is a dashing, intelligent Englishman"

It's all relative...

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nor does he ask the price

He doesn't need to, like with most of his clothes and stuff, companies fall over themselves to give them to him......bet he never had to buy nappies for the sprogs either

3. Unep Eurobats
    Coffee/keyboard

I hate myself but

I went and read that whole page of Beckham jokes.

4. Just Enough
    Joke

A classic joke

"Two cups of coffee and a Choc ice," replies David.

5. iLuddite
    Joke

was bewildered

It's ok now. The fine print at the end of the ad cleared it all up. Beckham is trying to give advertising a bad name.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I still have that 5 page pull-out of Beckham jokes somewhere, I favourite is the joke about the shopping trolleys.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do you get paid if we watch that advert?

1. linkbox8

> Do you get paid if we watch that advert?

It is worth it just to read the small print at the end.

8. Yugguy
    Trollface

I would be jealous of him.

He's richer, better dressed and better-looking than me.

But at least I don't have to fuck Victoria.

1. Khaptain Silver badge

Re: I would be jealous of him.

He probably doesn't fuck her either.

2. TheVogon

"But at least I don't have to fuck Victoria."

"talk to" surely?

1. Tezfair

"told to" surely?

There, fixed it for you

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

That's like an Erisson ad in Reverse:

.... around New York, and visits to phone shops, is not to ask too many questions.

That's 'cause no-one apart from Beckham speaks any English in that shop (the token-whitey blonde is Swedish).

10. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Nice but dim

"In the States, however, Golden Balls is a dashing, intelligent Englishman"

I best most won't get the joke.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Celebrity greed knows no limits

"Nor does he ask the price. But then perhaps someone who has a reported net worth of over $300m doesn’t have to worry too much about that."

Which begs the question, why exactly is he appearing in a shitty Sprint advert in the first place?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Celebrity greed knows no limits

because after it he will be worth $305,000,000

12. fishman

Beckham who?

In the US, probably 10% of the people know who David Beckham is.

1. TheVogon

Re: Beckham who?

"In the US, probably 10% of the people know who David Beckham is."

I suspect it's a bit higher than that. He is the planet's most famous sportman - and played for a US football team.. Mind you, wasn't there a National Geographic survey that found that over 20% of Americans couldnt identify the USA on an Atlas?

13. thomas k

Well, yes, but ...

Other than his not asking the price of the Sprint plan, I really don't see what's wrong - the other plans *are* confusing, Dave is cognizant of that and continues shopping until he finds one he likes.

1. iLuddite

Re: Well, yes, but ...

There are two 'wrongs' here. The fine print at the end of the ad belies the notion of truth in advertising. The other is the weird notion of people following Beckham around, hoping for enlightenment :)

14. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Joke

Wot?

Is Beck-ham a place? ... and is it any brighter than Dur-ham?

1. x 7

Re: Wot?

yep, in Kent I believe.

15. Seanie Ryan

no fan of his , but i have to say that the ad is actually effective and clever.

16. The Vociferous Time Waster

He has an MBE

wears it on the wrong side though

17. PhilipN Silver badge

Advice needed

Last time I saw a youngster on the street who was trying to look like David Beckham (and was doing a reasonably good job) I just felt like going over and smacking him in the mouth.

Do I need to see a psychiatrist?

18. Andy Roid McUser

The small print

After all the 'All-in' , one price , comes the snippet , $80 excludes taxes and surcharges. Streaming video capped at 600kb/sec, no roaming , no international calls, no premium services, $36 Activation fee.

Throughput reduction ( Throttling ) and restrictions apply.*

So the ad's just bullshit.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: The small print

Apparently that's an improvement over other contracts where everything is an "extra".

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Who is dim here?

So the guy got paid to play footie when most of us did it for free. Earned more money each year than most of us will do in a lifetime. He has possibly visited every single country in the world and played with more toys than we can ever wish. Aside from hooking up with a mutant I don't see what he has done wrong with his life. People that criticize him for what he says seem to be fueled by jealousy or a lack of understanding of the whole "pursuit of happiness" stuff. Looking at it the other way around, he probably thinks we are all dim.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like