back to article Hole in (Number) Two: MYSTERY golf-course pooper strikes again

A spectre is haunting Stavanger Golf Club, a spectre which has been defecating into specific holes on the course. Groundskeeper Kenneth Tennfjord has complained that the Norwegian location he tends is being terrorised by someone "who, for unknown reasons, hates the game of golf. Alternatively, the person may have a fetish or …

1. Winkypop Silver badge
    Happy

May I poop through?

• Male
    • Athletic
    • Bicycle rider
    • Possibly an electrician
    • Possibly an insomniac
    • Hates golf

Maybe ask a stool pigeon?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Whatever the case, he's determined

Climbed a tree to disable the lights? I guess he probably tried to visit one night, was surprised by the lights when they came on, and then stopped by the next day during daylight hours to check out the surroundings and come up with a plan to evade it.

They'll need to catch him in the act, so to speak, to stop him I'll bet. I hope El Reg follows up on this, I'd hate to be left dangling!

2. Dan 55 Silver badge
    Coat

Sounds like an inside job to me...

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Not any more...

1. Richard Boyce

They need to catch him brown-handied.

3. MrDamage Silver badge
    Pint

Buy that man a beer!

"Unfortunately, with cat-burglar like skills, the man "climbed up a tree next to the lights and wriggled far out on a branch and dismantled the spotlights."

"How he managed the feat without electrocuting himself or falling is a riddle," said Frode Jormeland, another groundskeeper at the club."

Anyone who is capable of climbing up a tree and disabling spotlights whilst something is tearing at the fabric of reality (or the fabric of your underpants), deserves a beer for their efforts.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Go

My guess

It' a bear, sick of being asked.

The bike tracks are just misdirection, "Bear n' Brown" I'll call him.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: My guess

Yes it must be a bear. have seen a bear in the circus that can ride a bicycle.

1. VinceH

Re: My guess

It's the Pope doing the pooping.

5. jake Silver badge

"an application to put up surveillance cameras has been denied."

A private property in Norway needs to apply to put up surveillance cameras? Really? Strike Norway off my list of places to move if The Donald is elected Commander in Chief ...

1. hplasm
      Paris Hilton

Re: "an application to put up surveillance cameras has been denied."

You say that like it is a bad thing, Jake.

1. jake Silver badge

@ hplasm(was:Re:"an application to put up surveillance cameras has been denied.")

"You say that like it is a bad thing, Jake[0]."

Do you REALLY want the .gov of your choice to tell you that you are not allowed to keep an eye on your own personal property? Have you thought that through?

[0]SIC

1. Dan 55 Silver badge

Re: @ hplasm(was:an application to put up surveillance cameras has been denied.")

It's not really personal property though, it's business open to the public which requires the public to visit.

2. mythicalduck

> A private property in Norway needs to apply to put up surveillance cameras? Really? Strike Norway off my list of places to move if The Donald is elected Commander in Chief ...

I was surprised that they'd have to apply to monitor their own grounds; but at the same time, it certainly isn't something that would strike it off my list

3. JetSetJim

Norway is a lovely place full of fine beer & chocolate, and magnificent scenery (of many types), and is also amongst the happiest places on the planet. Very high standard of living, mostly courtesy of the govmt's rather good approach to managing the extraction of their oil and the revenues obtained thereby.

My only complaint would be the price of booze and the limited availability of shops to buy it in. But that may well be a good thing, overall...

1. ravenviz Silver badge

Most Norwegians I know buy their booze at Heathrow!

1. JetSetJim

> Most Norwegians I know buy their booze at Heathrow!

Hmm not sure if they're still being ripped off at times, but agree with the sentiment.

Every time I visit I load up on my allowance for giftage to relatives. Plus add some hermetically sealed bacon & sausages, and some decent cheddar (gammelost is not quite the same thing!), and some Twiglets (!) and that keeps most of my relatives happy

2. Lyndon Hills 1

Norway is a lovely place full of fine beer & chocolate, and magnificent scenery....

Apparently deficient in public lavatories, however.

3. lidgaca
        Pint

There's lots of words I'd use to describe the output of Christianssands Bryggeri (*) , 'Bloody Expensive" would be top of the list, and the superlatives would stop at 'Adequate for task' ...

Can't argue about the scenery tho' :)

-- Chris

* Back in the day, the only beer you could get in Stavanger.

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

Norway is a lovely place full of fine beer [...] and magnificent scenery (of many types)

Can confirm.

& chocolate

The only Norwegian chocolate I've been able to get my hands on is Freia. I wouldn't call that stuff fine!

1. JetSetJim
          Flame

I'm a Freia addict, although getting worried now that they've been taken over by Kraft.

Still, there's always aquavit

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Thank you for the informative article

Thank you very much for this highly interesting and informative article. I read today morning several articles. I can hardly remember the content of any, but this will stick.

It is great to know that there is a place on earth, where not everybody can put up surveillance cameras as they like

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

He has a couple of favorite holes

I saw what you did there, but it's evidently just one.

8. dan1980

". . . an application to put up surveillance cameras has been denied."

You need to get approval to put up surveillance cameras on your own property? Norway, I think I am in love with you.

And what's not to love? Gorgeous landscape, strong democracy, great healthcare, high standard of living, general lack of religiosity, athletic electricians - it's got it all. Okay, sure, it's expensive but then I live in Sydney so it's all relative.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Coat

" it's got it all."

I was thinking of moving there...to be a lumberjack, swinging from tree to tree, where the blue parrots sing...

9. frank ly

If I was inclined to do this

I'd work my way through all the holes on the course then break into the clubhouse for a drink.

1. Winkypop Silver badge
      Alert

Re: If I was inclined to do this

I wonder what the course record is.

Especially the back 9.

10. psychonaut

possible new superhero

"The Turtle"

1. Jedit Silver badge

Re: possible new superhero

He's a diamond in the rough, and something entirely different on the green.

2. psychonaut

dont forget his sidekick,

Teastrainer boy

1. psychonaut

if the criminal turns out to be Clergy, we could have

"The Turtle and Teastrainer Boy in the case of the shitter Vicar : Touching Cloth"

11. LaeMing
    Go

Must be a man because the poos are so big?

I CHALLENGE!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Must be a man because the poos are so big?

That was politically incorrect in so many levels!

2. jake Silver badge
      Pint

I don't know who you are, nor where you are ... but I had a funny feeling you'd make a comment here. All I can say is:

::standing O::

And have a drink of your choice on me. I'm going to be giggling for hours :-)

3. Dan Paul

Art imitates life then, sounds like a Southpark Episode. Anyone seen Bono?

4. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I can only assume that Groundskeeper Kenneth Tennfjord is an expert in such matters.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Well, this is Norway, right? Kenneth might easily be a hunter, and whilst hunting in the great boreal forests to the North, may have observed many mighty denizens of that land "doing their business" (particularly after getting shot). So he's just extrapolating to humans his experience regarding bear and the like.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Or isn't, because in many cases the opposite is true, if you consider the physiology of women it's easy to understand why.

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Must be a politician, they're the only humans around that are that full of crap.

12. Shady

He has a couple of favorite holes

Number two, obviously...

1. julianh72
      Coat

Re: He has a couple of favorite holes

... and the Turd Hole ...

13. auburnman

If only Donald Trumps course in Aberdeen wasn't so far out of town, "the turtle" could have ended up with a copycat. Back on topic, no-one keeps up a vendetta this long without a personal connection; my money is on one of the groundskeepers. Either that or it has become a traditional dare/rite of passage at a local school to go for a midnight 'hole in one'.

14. Dan 10

I have to 'go' before I go out on my bike, because cycling makes the turtle put in an appearance. Add to that the strain of climbing trees to dismantle spotlights, I reckon this guy must leave the house a good few hours before a well-timed deposit.

1. Muscleguy

Me Too

I'm a runner and I can assure you that the necessity to 'clear the decks' prior to setting out is even more urgent. My usual routes are also seriously deficient in convenient copses, the use of. Too much agrarian agriculture adjacent to the cycle paths. My personal temple is well trained by practice to evacuate twice a day to accommodate early evening runs in the week and first thing in the morning runs at the weekend. A decent diet is however required to achieve this, but then a decent diet is also required to support moderately intensive athletic exertions.

1. Vic

Re: Me Too

My personal temple is well trained by practice to evacuate twice a day

Way, way too much information...

Vic.

15. thomas k

... discovered gleaming turds

He takes the time to polish them? This is no fly by night amateur.

1. PNGuinn
      Trollface

Re: ... discovered gleaming turds

hmmm ... Where have I heard that term applied before?

1. earl grey
        Trollface

windows 10?

2. julianh72

http://www.guffsturdpolish.com/

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Isn't it good

Norwegian hood, errrr, wood, errrr, log.

17. Grikath

"who, for unknown reasons, hates the game of golf. "

It's golf.... for starters.

18. Eddy Ito
    Meh

It wouldn't take much to install sensors on the holes to detect something the size of an adult(?) human add a prox sensor and loudspeaker down in the hole and set it to automatically play some recorded message like "Oi! Move on, this one's occupied!" Alternately it might be fun to have it trigger the release of some lightly compressed air or activate the spray irrigation system. There's lots one could do for a laugh without going Carl Spackler on the place.

1. Mark 85
      Devil

Oh, I don't know about "no going Carl Spackler". A small, pressure-sensitive detonation of a small amount of one's explosive of choice might be very entertaining.. Especially for the follks at the local urgent care/emergency room... Drop the turd and it comes flying back at you while scorching various exposed body parts.

19. PNGuinn
    Facepalm

Norweigan Blue ...

"Luvverly ploomage..."

"Its DEAD I tell you!"

"No it aint - its just restin' after a preticulerly strenuous poop.)

20. PNGuinn
    Go

...If microsoft made golf courses...

"Has it crashed again?"

"No, it's just doing a particularly large download."

"So we'll be in the poo later then."

"Yup."

21. Michael Sanders

We know it's not a man because the poos are too big? Well this guy ain't married...

22. This post has been deleted by its author

23. G Watty What?

The Phantom Shitter Strikes Again

This just brought back one of my funniest memories from school. We'd all go into assembly, listen to the usual propaganda and on the way out, in the hall back to the classrooms, would be freshly cooked arse-burger, tastefully presented, for all to admire.

This happened a number of times over a number of months and the 'Phantom Shitter' became legend, never seen, never caught, always funny, a hero of his day!

Sir, I salute you, two decades have past and still you're sticking it to the man. Bravo.

I am not sure what you've got against these golfers but you always be a hero to me.

24. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Fill out an application for a survellience camera?

WTF weird laws do they have there that a private business can't put up a security camera on its own property?

25. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Very large rabbits....

see title

26. Ugotta B. Kiddingme
    Happy

Phantom of Feculence

my new favorite phrase. Must find a way to get into work conversation this week. Thanks, Reg!

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like