back to article Raspberry Pi gains new FreeBSD distribution

Raspberry Pi owners can dig out their SD-card formatting tools of choice again, because a new version of FreeBSD has emerged for the machines, RaspBSD will work on the Pi models B and B+ and promises to run on more “soon”. The “more” looks like including the BeagleBone Black and the Banana Pi. FreeBSD has been available on …

1. This post has been deleted by its author

1. Charlie Clark Silver badge

FreeBSD has also been able to run on the RasPi for a while but was far from simple to install. I guess the news is that it's now much easier to install and supports everything not just the CPU.

Much as I dislike Debian I suspect it'll be a while before I replace it with FreeBSD on my Pi.

2. jake Silver badge

Cool.

Ta.

1. jake Silver badge

Re: Cool.

"have you been on holiday"

No. Making wine. Crush is happening early this year in Sonoma & Napa.

"or have the moderators simply been removing all of your posts?"

Not all of them, but a good portion of them. I suppose it makes them feel good about themselves. Why? I couldn't tell you.

::shrugs::

To each their own. Onwards and upwards ...

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sweet! If it keeps kids away from the over-entitled militant lunacy that is the GPL movement, all the better!

2. P. Lee

That would be, "over-entitled militant lunatic, Sir!

Jokes aside, I'm a big linux fan, but I always have the feeling it's BSD which does things in the proper manner whereas linux just throws things together. I really would love BSD to be huge, more popular, better supported than linux and yet I know it just isn't and won't be.

It makes me a little sad. In many scenarios, we need more secure operating systems more than we need more speed, yet faster is all we hear about.

5. Anonymous Blowhard

Also available for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

I just checked the site, and it also has images for the Raspberry Pi 2 Model B:

http://raspbsd.org/

1. Wensleydale Cheese

Re: Also available for Raspberry Pi 2 Model B

http://raspbsd.org/

That's confusing though. There are 2 images listed, with no indication of what the difference is.

6. Chavdar Ivanov

NetBSD...

It has been available for ages on NetBSD as well. Take your poison from http://nyftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/HEAD/201508190340Z/evbarm-earmv6hf/binary/gzimg/rpi.img.gz - this is the today's -current build. It is actually very easy to setup an environment to follow -current and build these images.

1. /dev/null

Re: NetBSD...

And the next major formal NetBSD release (7.0, coming Real Soon Now) will have complete support for RPi (1), plus RPi 2. See the NetBSD wiki.

1. Chavdar Ivanov

Re: NetBSD...

7.0 RC3 was announced today - with MP support for the RPI 2 and autoresize root partition. It should be the last RC before release.

7. mr. deadlift

you know - i asked around on the BBB forums, got told to post on freeBSD forums, thank fuck this roundabout ride's over.

8. Lomirak

Apples

When will I be able to put OSX on it?

I want Apple Pi.

Groan....

9. Woodnag

For those interested in servery type projects

FreeBSD has ZFS

1. the spectacularly refined chap

Re: For those interested in servery type projects

FreeBSD has ZFS

But the Pi simply hasn't got the memory for it to make sense. IME ZFS on FreeBSD is tempremental even in 4GB, it really wants 8GB+ even for small filesystems.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

My 6TB RAIDz (4x2TB) on an HP Microserver with 1GB of RAM runs ok. It's a personal server, three of us using it and it only serves music and video files on the whole and a backup destination for other devices in the house.

Considering that even a RasPi B2 still shares the USB and Ethernet over the same bus, I'd not expect it to work all that well in any sort of environment needing lots of data transfer or high availability although I'd love to be proved wrong!

1. rleigh

ZFS also requires a 64-bit system, so I doubt it could be run on the Pi in any case. (In my experience--there is no ZFS on FreeBSD for 32-bit powerpc)

1. /dev/null

According to the FreeBSD wiki... "A 64-bit system is preferred due to its larger address space and better performance on 64-bit variables, which are used extensively by ZFS. 32-bit systems are supported though, with sufficient tuning."

10. mIRCat

That's a pi of a different colour.

The future is now! Or will be around shortly.

Where'd I leave all my spare SD cards?

11. HmmmYes

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like