back to article NASA's Dawn gets intimate with Ceres

NASA's Dawn spacecraft has sent earthwards its "closest-yet views" of dwarf planet Ceres. Dawn is currently at an orbital altitude of 1,470km above the asteroid belt body, with its framing camera snapping at a resolution of 140 metres per pixel. Among the pictures on offer is the Gaue crater, seen here at the bottom of the …

1. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge
    Pint

I'll drink to the name Byggvir

Excellent choice! Mine is a Westmalle Tripel

2. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Alien

"Crater" and suspiciously close "mountain"?

More like a hatch someone forgot to close a couple of megayears ago.

1. Gordon 10

Re: "Crater" and suspiciously close "mountain"?

Looks like a dustbin lid to me.

2. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge

Re: "Crater" and suspiciously close "mountain"?

Ceres is where the Buggers' forward base was in Ender's Game, if memory serves. So it could be either the Clangers or the Buggers. [Now there's a sentence I never expected to be using.]

Funny how they just became the bugs for the film, for some strange reason... Unfortunately, about the only decision they got right.

3. cray74

"Close" only counts in horseshoes and asteroid impacts.

I'd make a guess about part of the pyramid mountain's sharp features: that large crater at its foot. I'd bet that's responsible for the sharp definition and white streaks on the flanks of the mountain facing the crater.

The photos are slow to arrive, but the wait for the scientific papers is worse.

4. EngineerType

Partial punch through mountain

I would bet the mountain was created by a partial punch through from a hit on the other side.

Like punching a rod up through the bottom of a sack of flour. Try different rod sizes to get the right effect.

5. Camilla Smythe

Lonely Mountain?

The 'perspective' thing is like trying to decide which side out a frame lined cube is. Either the top one is a depression, impact crater, or the bottom one is depending on how you switch your eyes/brain...

My conclusion is that the one at the top is a fuck off and die great big fucking big Limpet that has just upped shop from the bottom one and is moving to a different location in order to harvest metallics from the recently arrived food source using its frondly like appendages.

I took a trip down the Local Salty Water Rocks to discuss such a possibility with our local inhabitants and they lost interest in the normal discussion about us Humans shitting in, pissing in and basically polluting their water.

Advice from the local Limpets to NASA is that they should turn the dishes on Dawn and transmit the data somewhere else other than Earth for a couple of weeks and then destroy Dawn. Apparently having a fuck off and die great big fucking big Limpet on Earth would be a bad idea.

I was not so sure about this but Bob/Barbara, The Limpet, went on to say that even without all the Estrogens we had pumped into the environment he/she was basically an Hermaphrodite, when nothing else was available which there was not because we had fucked up the environment, and the rest of the Local community was his/her fault.

"You do not want this Mega-Limpet to know about you. We are quite a hardy species and it will take off. Arrive on Earth and start bonking itself. Thereafter it is Game Over for me and my other selves. You will not do much better."

They all waved their fronds in agreement.

1. SoltanGris

Re: Lonely Mountain?

Camilla Smythe

KUDOS.

You beat me by 2 hours. I just saw this article and the first

thing that popped into my airy head was that is obviously a

GIANT SPACE LIMPET.

Which was all I was going to say.

Your expansive statement went above and beyond.

Thank you.

Even Hoagland of Pyrimidiots of Mars fame couldn't beat that.

2. Ru'

I, for one, welcome our FOADGBFBL overlord and its frondly appendages?...

3. Camilla Smythe

Ooops... Bugger,

It's Moved

Someone better dial 0800-BRUCE

6. AbelSoul
    Trollface

Re: the Roman god of harrowing soil

There's a god for that?

Wish I'd known that earlier; my last harrowing soil resulted in a day off work.

7. JASR

Gaue Crater? More like Disney's Frozen has reached Solar system domination!

Do you want to build a snowman?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1ZHetiuRb0

8. Drudgery Leak

Huh-huh-uh

He said moistness.

9. Brewster's Angle Grinder Silver badge

"...the brightly streaked slope with bright streaks."

Ahhh, Doctor Tautology, I'd know your work anywhere.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Yes, I was confused as to which brightly streaked slope he meant at first. I am so grateful for the clarificationism,

10. Maty

Obscure agricultural god

For some of the speculation here, I'd recommend the obscure Roman agricultural god Sterculinus. He's the god of manure-spreading. (Seriously)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like