back to article Apple gobbles Brit AI outfit VocalIQ

Apple is reported to have snapped up UK artificial intelligence company VocalIQ, which had previously sneered at Cupertino's digital assistant Siri as being a mere "toy." The deal is the latest in a number of UK acquisitions this year, including media data startup Semetric in January and Camel Audio, a maker of virtual …

1. goldcd

Meh?

I'm no Apple fan, but having already got a working product out there that people like - seems to be a good sign that they're mopping up intellect to make it better.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Toys R Us

"Some ended being used only as toys, like Siri."

We did a few quick tests of Cortana, Google Now and Siri in the office. Try this one yourself: Book an appointment for "next sunday at eight o'clock".

Goog + Siri: sorry can't do scheduling more than 24 hours in the future. Cortana said it had done it, what it actually did we are not too sure but it wasn't an appointment at either 0800 or 2000 next Sunday.

Not one of them can manage more than the most basic scheduling. Not one of them even bothered asking which eight o'clock we meant either, although <24hr limitation precludes that. 24 hour clock format recognition was laughable. Try asking for an appointment at 1700 hours ("seventeen hundred hours").

1. Synonymous Howard

Re: Toys R Us

Just tried those examples and others using Siri on iOS 9.0.1 and it works stunningly well !

So things have certainly improved and I might actually use Siri for real things now 8-)

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

maybe its a non-US English thing or google services on the target device are not up to date? I just tried this on my G3 running kitkat google now works exactly as you would expect "set an appointment for next Thursday at 8" does create a calendar entry for 10/8 though using 24hr format I find that it is completely unnecessary to add the -hundred hours, simply saying at 17 creates an entry at 5pm. I even tried "set an appointment Thursday after next at 8" and it does create a calendar entry for 10/15 at 8. hope this helps.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

The only time I've used Siri to put something in my calendar is if I think of something laying in bed I have to do tomorrow, and don't want to light up the screen. I just don't trust voice commands (for anything) enough to do it all the time, because I'd feel I have to check that it really did it right anyway. It might work 99% of the time, but that one time it gets it wrong would probably be something important I don't want to miss!

1. This post has been deleted by its author

3. Teiwaz
    Joke

Signs of an Artificial Personality maybe,,,

"Goog + Siri: sorry can't do scheduling more than 24 hours in the future. Cortana said it had done it, what it actually did we are not too sure but it wasn't an appointment at either 0800 or 2000 next Sunday."

Made me think that Cortana at least has absorbed the ethos of its parent corporation rather well.

4. Mike Bell

Yes, but can it understand Geordie?

"Ah'v bin on't derl fa foor YE-AH" is the de rigeur test.

1. Fraggle850

Re: Yes, but can it understand Geordie?

Even I can't parse that and I'm English!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Allow me:

"For the past four years, I have been in a state of perpetual unemployment".

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Just to add, Sid the Sexist taught me all the Geordie I ever needed.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Even I can't parse that and I'm English!"

Same here and ahm Geordie!

MInd you, there's loads of different Geordie accents and pronunciations too, even from different parts of the same toon nivvor mind different toons and villages.

From here, go a little south and school becomes scewell and pool become poo-ell. A little West and toad in the hole becomes turd in the hurl!!! (a future post-pub neck filler? Nah, maybe not!)

2. Salts

@Mike Bell

Fuc|<ing Mak'em :-)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I just tried in on an up-to-date Nexus running Android.

The "Next Sunday" one works without problem.

For some reason mine can't recognize the "17 hundred hours" format.

It might be my choice of language or it might be a deficiency of the system.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

just say "seventeen" instead of "seventeen hundred hours".

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> just say "seventeen" instead of "seventeen hundred hours".

The danger from computers is not that they will eventually get as smart as men, but that we will meanwhile agree to meet them half-way.

Bernard Avishai, 1982

6. Dan 55 Silver badge

Why AI?

I'm pretty sure if you fished out the source code for a halfway-competent text adventure parser from the 80s/90s (Level 9, Magnetic Scrolls, or LOTR) then that could cope with most things.

Eeeh, they've got more money than sense.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like