back to article GCHQ's CESG team's crypto proposal isn't dumb, it's malicious... and I didn't notice

Hang on: you want to use a phone number as an identity certificate? Forgive me, everybody, for not realising the obvious – and for not realising why GCHQ's information security arm CESG's pet proposal RFC 6509 hasn't progressed. The reason is simple: it's a damn stupid idea. Here's the relevant quote: ”a user’s identity is …

1. king_tut

"Anyone who knows my phone number can authenticate as me, and MITM is trivial."

Erm, nope. Have you read the RFC, or the standards around it? The purpose of the KMS etc is to stop that.

The same could be said for "Anyone who knows my website address can authenticate as me, and MITM is trivial." which is obviously untrue. _But_ there's a huge dependency on a trusted authority - a root CA for SSL, a KMS for MIKEY-SAKKE.

Don't get me wrong, MIKEY-SAKKE has some problems, and I'm wholly unconvinced by it.

Also, your argument that phone number != person's ID is wholly spurious. Yes, it's true, however it's irrelevant. If I phone your phone number, I expect to get you. If we know each other, we may authenticate with a voice challenge/response we've previously established. If we don't know each other, we'd need a key distribution mechanism.

All of which is irrelevant. The purpose of secure voice standards is to provide guarantees of the integrity and confidentiality of voice comms, and to mutually authenticate endpoints against a MITM attack. MIKEY-SAKKE provides this (for some value of 'provides'), as do other key agreement protocols such as ZRTP (instead of MIKEY)(which uses the user reading out a string).

1. gv

Re: "Anyone who knows my phone number can authenticate as me, and MITM is trivial."

"If I phone your phone number, I expect to get you."

You might get me, but you might get the person mis-sold PPI, or the one involved in the car accident, or having problems with the Windows PC, etc., etc.

2. YetAnotherLocksmith Silver badge

Re: "Anyone who knows my phone number can authenticate as me, and MITM is trivial."

You can call me on several numbers, but you might instead reach my wife, my mom, my answer phone, my answering service, or nothing at all.

Just recently, EE.BT have been sending mobile calls to me who-knows-where. Possibly to answerphone, sometimes nowhere, occasionally to my phone.

2. Wommit

@ King Tut

Never had your phone nicked have you?

1. Anonymous Blowhard

Re: @ King Tut

GCHQ don't need to nick your phone, they can intercept the text messages.

1. king_tut

> GCHQ don't need to nick your phone, they can intercept the text messages.

As can many other people. Your voice calls and text messages are only encrypted during the wireless stage between your phone and the base station - everything else is in the clear. GCHQ (+NSA, FSB, DGSI/DGSE, BND/BfV, and so on) are I'm sure more than happy for you to use insecure comms - the current situation.

2. nijam Silver badge

> GCHQ don't need to nick your phone

No, they're going to nick the exchange.

2. king_tut

I have. And it was locked, so I didn't lose anything.

But still, the key point for secure comms is protecting device<->device. The "a user’s identity is their public key" is specific to secure voice - I don't think the standard is suggesting anything else.

Outside that is a human problem, which neither MIKEY-SAKKE nor any of the other equivalent standards would do anything to fix. Blaming a protocol for not fixing a problem it wasn't aiming to fix, is like saying the El Reg is a shite website because they haven't sent me any hookers recently.

It's a fair point that people need to realise that phone != person. I'd hope that was generally obvious. This is precisely why you need to authenticate to your back when you phone it - even if you're phoning from your mobile, which they have as your number in records. The phone number is easily spoofed if you've the right kind of connection, and so mustn't be trusted, even excluding the theft argument. Instead, you're authenticating by something you know, rather than something you have. The difference is, that if you're using secure voice comms, you can be reasonable sure that the confidentiality of that person<->org authentication is secure - a major difference from the situation now.

1. Paul Shirley

"I have. And it was locked, so I didn't lose anything."

...presumably you also had a SIM lock set so they couldn't just put it in an unlocked phone? The lock no smartphone user ever bothers with?

1. king_tut

Yep, SIM lock as well. And I had the IMEI blocked within 30 mins.

It's depressing how little attention people take to their own security :(

1. MiguelC Silver badge

IMEI blocked? so just the ne'er-do-wellers will use the phone on another network (or country)...

1. king_tut

> IMEI blocked? so just the ne'er-do-wellers will use the phone on another network (or country)...

True. But that doesn't affect the confidentiality or integrity of my data, or any usefulness wrt my phone number as an identity (i.e. the subjects of this discussion)

Plus, if more people got their IMEI blocked, then stealing phones would be less profitable...

1. Anonymous Coward
                Anonymous Coward

Faking an IMEI is child's play - that's why thieving kids do it. Also, all iDevices have common, well-known backdoors, so digital thievery persists.

Having said that, GCHQ have proved to be utterly useless at decrypting even the simplest ciphers, so they can steal all the phones they want - they won't be able to do much with them!

Anon for about a zillion good reasons.....

2. SoaG

IMEI blocked?

Doesn't even need another network or country. Guess what your provider does when you call them to activate your replacement phone? They delete the old IMEI to add the new one thus removing the block. There is no master list of blocked devices. Only purpose of blocking is to keep them running up your usage bill until you get the new phone.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"The lock no smartphone user ever bothers with?"

Anyone worried about security doesn't use a smarttoy with all their lifes data stored in it anyway.

And since you're wondering - no, I don't. I have an old nokia which does all I need it to do.

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
            Windows

King Tut, eh? Do we know each other from Zürich, circa early 90s?

1. king_tut

> King Tut, eh? Do we know each other from Zürich, circa early 90s?

Not me - only been using this pseudonym (and variations) for 15 years or so :) There are others though - meaning any link to me for criminal activity is plausibly deniable...

1. Sir Runcible Spoon
                Coat

" the El Reg is a shite website because they haven't sent me any hookers recently."

Holy Shit! You're right! They haven't sent me any in ages either, it's all just blackjack these days.

3. Chozo
    Big Brother

They’ll come at you sideways. It’s how they think. It’s how they move. Sidle up and smile. Hit you when you’re weak. Sort of man they’re like to send believes hard. Kills and never asks why.

Shepherd Book (Serenity)

1. Sir Runcible Spoon

It's interesting to me how you know so much about that world. You'll have to tell me about that sometime.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No blame attaches

The technique of government and security services is to make use of a more important part of Shannon's work; they degrade the channel by adding lots and lots of noise until there is so much noise that only the instructed can reconstitute the signal.

I would call it Orwellian, and I would be right.

5. Stuart 22

IP Phone Home

I'm confused. I have at least a dozen phone numbers. Some are exclusively me but roam around, some i share and are fixed and others some combination of both. Some I intend to keep for life, some not and some are for sale. As for IPs its replicated except the volume is bigger.

I have difficulty keeping up to date on all of them. Be great if GCHQ had a neat little app I could look myself up on. Save a lot of bother with KeePass2 and Evernote ...

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

Re: IP Phone Home

>Be great if GCHQ had a neat little app I could look myself up on. Save a lot of bother with KeePass2 and Evernote ...

That was what the Welsh philosopher and drug deal Howard Marks did. When asked how, as an inveterate dope smoker, he was able to be so clear about dates in his autobiography, he replied that just submitted an FOI to the FBI.

[He was busted because someone he trusted was turned against him, something no amount of encryption can save you from. ]

6. Nick Kew
    Facepalm

Naïve optimism there

Having said that, motivation casts its shadow: why on Earth would someone conceive of such stupidity and devote time and thousands of words to propose that it should be a standard?

Don't laugh. Have you ever heard of RDF, the Semantic Web, and the W3C?

First you specify the concept of URI as globally-unique identifier, and try vainly to make a meaningless distinction between URI and URL. Then you start using URLs (sorry, URIs) prefaced with http://some-domain/ . But now you've got something recognisable: your URI maps naturally to a web address, or even a web page. So you can dereference it, and talk about web URLs in RDF terms.

You call it the Semantic Web, and make grand claims for it. You can start talking about the web page dereferenced by the URL. Except, you're in cloud-cuckoo-land. All that you say in RDF is predicated on the properties of the URI as a globally-unique invariant. But you're using the language to talk about something that may change at any time (e.g. El Reg front page), or according to metadata in the HTTP headers (e.g. what I get if I try to post this when not logged on). Result: gibberish.

Think it couldn't happen? Think someone would notice before it went public and got widely promoted? Just look at the history of W3C Annotea, which does everything I just described. And when I was on the working group for EARL, it was a lot of work and some Heath-Robinson constructs with time and metadata to allow us to avoid the same howler.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

Re: Naïve optimism there

Re: URI, URL

The problem is with the way URI was defined, namely as a generalised URL, rather than in the abstract, (for example: a URI is a reference to a resource/object that is structured so as to enable a resource/object to be located and accessed) and then treat URL's as a domain specific URI referencing a webpage. So because of this people don't get the distinction and hence do as you say and confusingly use the terms in some random fashion.

From the article I suspect that a similar distinction was lost between identifying and locating a phone number and the person(s) who have control and access to the termination point(s) the phone number may refer to at any particular point in time.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Three out of ten?

I'd make that one of ten for them (although nine out of ten for Orwellian-ness), and while the three out of ten for you is maybe fair, ten out of ten for saying so :-)

8. Jellied Eel Silver badge

a user’s identity is their public key

And their public key is issued and can be revoked by.. whom? And used to securely identify themselves with all public sector services. And can be extended to a 'trusted identity' service for other commercial users. CESG is of course expected to generate business and revenues to support it's activities. And I'd rather trust CESG to do this than, say, Facebook. Sign into my NHS account with my Facebook ID? What could possibly go wrong?

1. king_tut

Re: a user’s identity is their public key

Some more detail here...

Basically, the identity (in this case a phone number, but could be an email address or whatever) is used as a public key (sort of), but the key thing is that a Key Management Server (KMS) is used to provide the private key for that public key. The KMS ensures only the holder of that identity gains access to the private key. The KMS is equivalent to a root certificate in terms of trust.

There is no requirement for one big KMS etc. Instead, each 'service' can run its own KMS. E.g. want to be able to use your phone number to do secure comms to the NHS, you can register with the NHS's KMS. Want to also have secure comms between a group of friends, you can run your own KMS on a server you trust. Each KMS will create a different private key for the given identity.

Want to be able to access a load of services that trust each other - they'll either have one big KMS, or some kind of trust relationship between them.

1. Jellied Eel Silver badge

Re: a user’s identity is their public key

"Want to be able to access a load of services that trust each other - they'll either have one big KMS, or some kind of trust relationship between them."

That's the general idea, and identity management services are a huge business opportunity. And something CESG is very familiar with, eg previous efforts with services like 'Cloudcover'. Sadly CESG's been better at tech than marketing and that was perhaps premature. But still useful to have and it all boils down to that fundament of security. Trust. I'd rather trust someone like CESG than some of the commercial identity providers.

9. captain veg Silver badge

Genuinely puzzled

"As a result, successive anencephalic attorneys-general in Australia and the UK's Home Secretary Theresa May have enacted legislation of such egregious idiocy it could have been drafted by a junior in the White Fish Authority."

What is it about the Home Office that causes every politician to enter it to turn into Attila the Hun? Even the seemingly innocuous Alan Johnson transmogrified into a little Hitler once installed.

Something in the air-conditioning?

-A.

1. druck Silver badge

Re: Genuinely puzzled

A particularly virulent infection stemming from the Home Office's Sir Humpherys.

1. Rich 11

Re: Genuinely puzzled

Rabies of the conscience.

10. Your alien overlord - fear me

What's wrong with using my DNA to show it's me?

I don't have a landline, when spam texts get to much , I dump my SIM and get another (probably every 6 months). Using CLI spoofers I can phone someone, they think it's someone else and I get their bank details.

So many things wong using *any* item to authenticate a person, using fresh DNA is the only real way. What's fresh DNA? Stuff that's just been swabbed from your cheek, not from the remenants of that pizza you chucked out last night.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Wannabe alien overlord

What's wrong with using my DNA to show it's me?

Some people carry more than one set of DNA, so using "my DNA to show it's me" isn't really a viable approach for wide spread use.

1. tony2heads

Re: Wannabe alien overlord

Also a problems with twins, and will be in future with clones.

2. Sir Runcible Spoon
      Coffee/keyboard

"What's fresh DNA? Stuff that's just been swabbed from your cheek, not from the remenants of that pizza you chucked out last night."

What's fresh DNA? Stuff that's just been swabbed from your cheek, not from the remenants of that tissue you chucked out last night.

Tftfy. It looks like there's something on the keyboard too -->

(although if it's that colour you may need to see your Dr.)

3. Allan George Dyer
      Trollface

@Your alien overlord - fear me: "What's wrong with using my DNA to show it's me?"

Written the same week as the headline Gene editing saves girl dying from leukaemia in world first. A wonderful success, but I digress.

With a Moore's Law of gene editing, we could be looking at a Blade Runner-style dystopia with criminals and freedom-fighters booking into illegal, underground gene clinics so they can make untraceable phone calls...

But the simpler objection is identical twins.

Icon - special effects shot, halfway through the transformation.

11. Warm Braw

Actually, it's not...

... a particular spot on a wiring harness in a telephone exchange that a bit of software associates with a number of a handset that can be used by anyone in the same place; or of a physical mobile phone

The public key identifies the secret key that the user has installed in the secure communications device that they use personally. Possesion of that device (and any PIN or passphrase needed to unlock it) is all the identity you need for this purpose. By the same token (sorry) you'd be arguing that the public key of the certificate stored in the smartcard you use to log on to your computer identifies the card and not you. It's technically true, but your possession of the card (its private key and the associate PIN/passphrase) is a proxy for your identity.

Your secure phone is perfectly capable of checking the remote party's secret key matches the public key it makes claim to.

Incidentally, the user might have more than one device with the same private key and the protocol specifically allows for things like secure voicemail that don't require the user (and associated key) to be available at the time of a message being left.

There may be a number of issues with the proposal (I'm not sure about the principle of the KMS or its scalability but I haven't read up on it enough) but its origin is more likely to be its downfall than any particular fault in its design.

12. Rol

Beware the minions!!

Our judiciary and police force, rammed to the brim with poor IT sense, look towards legislation for guidance and clarity.

When an act, so poorly conceived as has recently been proffered becomes law, then the multitude of interpretations that will spew from it will create a mountain of diabolical decisions, based, not on clear IT knowledge, but the insane mutterings of folk who have shown time and again, that they haven't a clue about how the interconnectedness of everything defeats their simplistic logic.

Using my IP address or telephone number to link me with crime is criminal in itself, but given that the people empowered to fuck my life up might not recognise this, scares the pants off me.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I think a person can be identified with a phone number or I.P. address, once you have enough data and know enough of what someone does then it's trivial, you lend your phone/I.P. to someone they use it, it's flagged as an an anomaly add in location and it wouldn't be that difficult to narrow down who that anomaly is especially if it happens a few times, add in your contact information taken from your phone and internet records it gets even narrower (lent your phone to a mate of a mate, it's flagged). Switch devices/I.P./numbers and you're still going to be identifiable as someone that does this. I think of it as a big nasty dataset they are getting their hands on which will identify everyone regardless.

So with all that in mind is it that difficult to see why a phone number or I.P. address could be used to identify someone?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I think a person can be identified with a phone number or I.P. address...

But one step at a time...

The key thing you get from the data is a relationship between communications patterns and an end-point identifier. By tracing the identifier all the way back to a provider, we gain information on location (fixed/mobile) and subscriber ie. a person and address. It now becomes feasible to send a man round to take a look and if deemed desirable undertake more focused surveillance and investigations.

For example, many people think that CCTV is wonderful, however if you've every paid attention to police video's etc. you will have noticed that the images aren't actually all that good. That's because it is far better to see something and send a man to take a look and physically catch people in the act (crime_solved++) than it is to be able to watch a video get a perfect full face image and be left with spending the next n months looking for the person in the photo (unsolved_crime++)...

2. FeRDNYC

Sure, if they bother to do the legwork

You're making two bad assumptions there, though: That whoever's doing the analysis of this data is interested in the truth, rather than merely trying to justify their own presumptions. Even if they are, that they'll bother to look hard enough for it.

Real-world #TrueStory example:

My editing account on Wikia was recently globally permablocked because "spam". (That was the sum total of the Block Reason provided. That one word.) Since I've had the account for years, I know I'm not a spammer, and I log in with Facebook Connect — yeah, yeah — so the likelihood a spammer would be able to hijack my Wikia login without there being some trace is low-ish. So I emailed Wikia support to say, "What the hell, man?"

They responded that the block "seems to have been a mistake", and removed it. Problem solved, right? (OK, nobody here really thought that, you all see where this is going.) I logged in the next day, to discover that I was again blocked, this time by IP. A new, separate block, again attributed to "spam". My followup "What the HELL, man?" support email was met with a suggestion that I get around the block by picking up a new IP from my broadband provider.

At no point has Wikia ever provided me with the slightest shred of evidence/information about what supposed spam triggered these blocks, much less what's led them to erroneously identify "me" as the spammer. I don't have nearly enough information to determine whether or not my IP could have been spamming them (some sort of Linux rootkit wikiaspambot? I suppose anything's theoretically possible...), and they don't appear to be that interested in identifying the actual spammer, if indeed there is one.

That "big nasty dataset they are getting their hands on which will identify everyone regardless" of yours is at least as scary for how readily it will enable MISidentification, as for its Big Brother aspects.

14. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I love the way A.N.Other hack thinks GCHQ are dumb

The politicians might be dumb, ok , not might, are. But the people at GCHQ are extremely smart and we only find out a fraction of what they get up to. In fact the fraction they want us to know.

Still, I'm sure they're more than happy for you to underestimate them. In fact making sure you do is probably policy.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I love the way A.N.Other hack thinks GCHQ are dumb

Are you angling for a job at GCHQ then?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

I agree with boltar on this, but the proof is in the puddingdoughnut.

Mindless dedication enabled by free money can accomplish a lot of things that to an external observer might look like intelligent beings were at work.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

I'm upvoting boltar, for showing willing this week.

2. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

The politicians might be dumb, ok , not might, are. But the people at GCHQ are extremely smart and we only find out a fraction of what they get up to. In fact the fraction they want us to know.

Still, I'm sure they're more than happy for you to underestimate them. In fact making sure you do is probably policy. … boltar

Quite so, boltar. However, the virtually smart ones are happy to realise they can also be overestimated with future based talents a rare premium commodity/entity most probably missing in-house rather than powering and empowering it, and as is apparently evidenced by the distinct lack of intelligence progress delivered for media propagation by proxy puppets and muppet puppeteers to the masses.

Does GCHQ look for intelligence and information to report on second and third party trails and tales to whomever/whatever, or invent and spin the intelligence source itself to commandeer future direction and control narrative production to guarantee established system payments rather than ensuring catastrophic titanic virtual machine collapse ‽ . Is GCHQ, and foreign service centres just like them elsewhere around the world, a grand master of destiny or active cuckold for them?

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Re: I love the way A.N.Other hack thinks GCHQ are dumb @amanfromMars 1

And talking of cuckolds to catastrophic titanic virtual machines and forewarned about Military Industrial Complexes, here be a manic fluffing cheerleader getting excited on the sidelines ....... The Ranting Runt that is John McCain

Obviously he learnt nothing whilst a host and model prisoner of Vietnam?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"The politicians might be dumb, ok , not might, are. But the people at GCHQ are extremely smart and we only find out a fraction of what they get up to. In fact the fraction they want us to know." boltar

The guys doing the work, yes they are probably very smart, their middle managers also probably very smart, too but the guys at senior level?, these are the people talking to politicians which is why it probably goes:

Front line Techies: "Certain kinds of encryption can't be broken or will take some time to break"

Middle management: "Our teams are having trouble with certain types of encryption"

Senior Management: "Encryption is preventing us reading everything"

David Cameron: "Encryption should be banned"

Somewhere in GCHQ a highly intelligent security analyst has their head in their hands repeating endlessly "but that's not what we said!".

Just think how technical information and the conclusion is changed in most organisations, the people at the top spend most of their lives shaking hands and trying not to say anything stupid, but it often works the other way where technical subjects are concerned.

1. Naselus

"The guys doing the work, yes they are probably very smart,"

I don't think they are, actually. Spies have basically spent the entire post-WW2 era telling everyone how very important and vital they are for national security, while failing miserably to actually be important or vital.

Famously, US and UK spies didn't notice the USSR was collapsing and failed to mention it until pretty much after the event. Remember, they were already collecting pretty much everything before 7/7... which they didn't predict either. Ultimately, they're not actually very good at doing what they're meant to be doing... their good at frightening politicians, but not much cop at anything else.

Adam Curtis outlined this in great detail, going back to WW1, in a blog post entitled 'bugger' (http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/adamcurtis/entries/3662a707-0af9-3149-963f-47bea720b460). If we take a spy's job to be 'spying', then they're bloody useless at it. If we take spy's job to be 'convincing successive governments to keep paying them with no actual evidence of success', then they're brilliant at it.

1. Roland6 Silver badge

" If we take a spy's job to be 'spying', then they're bloody useless at it."

Disagree, just from the evidence you cite, they seem to be very good at it, namely: secret observation of people and the collection of information. However they do seem to be very poor at putting the jigsaw together all together before an 'incident' that identifies the pieces and brings them together...

15. WatAWorld

Treason against the UK and its citizens

The UK should pass laws against treason and impose them on GCHQ.

You don't need al Qada or IS when you've got GCHQ taking away your freedom and destroying your democracy.

16. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Phone Numbers

..assuming that nobody's tricked it into presenting someone else's number.

There's no need for under-hand trickery. All you need is a Type 5 Presentation Number agreement with your telco. Once you have that, you can send any number you want. (And guessing from the dodgy/weird phone numbers I receive as PPI calls, I'm guessing all the PPI call centres have done so)

Before the days of VoIP, an exchange always associated two numbers* with a line: The presentation number and the network number. The network number was the real number for the line. For many people the two are the same. It's the network number that allows you to track back where the call came from.

But with VoIP, there's no network number, just a trail of SIP headers. And as we've all seen with SMTP & HTTP, user generated headers can be trusted 100%.

* Actually, there's often a third number, called the billing number which can be different again but that's only seen by billing systems not the phone network.

17. NewX

anencephalic

A little OT, but the word is used twice in the article; didn't know it, so image searched it.

To (figuratively) imply "lack of brains" by using the descriptor for (literally) lack of brains insults the poor sufferer of said disability more than the intended target (the legal profession) in this case.

We've evolved. We don't call people mongols or "flids" (Thalidomides) any more do we?

1. Swarthy

Re: anencephalic

I am somewhat inclined to agree. It is bad enough that the sufferers of the aforementioned birth defect (usually the parents, rather than the one born with it) are struggling with the defect; to be compared with politicians on top is just too much.

Rather than anencephalic I'm thinking the next article could use a form of "rectal-crainial inversion".

1. Anonymous Coward
        WTF?

Re: anencephalic

Or he could just say 'brainless.'

18. Speltier

A new high in brainrot buzzfetishwords

A telephone number as a 'public key'? And used to obtain 'private keys' from a KMS? hahahahaha

Sadly, I actually read the drivel and might have thereby acquired a drive by brainrot infection.

19. x 7

"A telephone number does not identify a human."

It does if the SIM card holding it is implanted into the brain.........

its coming folks, its not far away

20. Ron Luther

It was *this* close!

Heh. Reminds me of a conversation I had with a Bell Labs engineer 30 years ago ... he was telling me we had gotten the system all wrong. That instead of assigning numbers to telephone lines we should have put phone company reps in every hospital and assigned telephone numbers to people at birth!

;-)

21. dan1980
    Meh

Any colour , as long as it's black

Is it just me or are we about to find that the US ends up spying and monitoring and slurping less on its citizens than the UK and Australia?

As I commented in a previous post, it seems to me that the AU and UK governments has watched, with distress the backlash against the revealed surveillance and so laws have lapsed and compromises are being investigated. As they have watched this example (however weak) of 'democracy in progress', they have come over very scared indeed that the people might somehow get a say in how they are governed.

And so they are each doing their level best to enshrine as much surveillance in law as possible - casting such laws in the vaguest and most permissive of language, protected only by bare assertions that everything will be fine, really.

The ridiculous two-party system leaves us with zero choice in these matters because both sides want the same thing and so our votes mean nothing on these matters. We get the choice of intrusive, unregulated surveillance or intrusive, unregulated surveillance. The only choice you have, at least in Australia, is to choose one single letter; you can have your intrusive, unregulated surveillance, implemented but someone with the letters ALP behind them or you can have your intrusive, unregulated surveillance implemented but someone with the letters LNP behind them.

Yay democracy.

22. dan1980

The goal of all this is not just to find track phone or internet records or whatever any given proposal or law is targeted at.

The core goal, the real aim, is to have every person uniquely identifiable to the government and for that identity to follow them wherever they go and be attached to whatever they do.

They want and internal passport.

Not only that, but they want that passport to tie into and be required for everything you do. In regards to phone numbers and IP addresses, the goal - I am nearly sure - is to have these identifiers attached not to hardware like phones and routers, but to people, such that when you use a phone you have to log in (in whatever fashion) and that phone is then assigned your phone-number equivalent. Modern VoIP systems already have this feature - Cisco call it 'Extension Mobility'.

Every device, of course, would also have a unique identifier (lMEI but similar system for 'fixed' phones) and it would be easy to have phones able to dial out without anyone logged-in, but to restrict this to certain emergency numbers so as to handle that concern.

To receive calls, of course, you must be logged in and this provides further benefit for tracking people.

Perhaps that all sounds a bit far fetched but spooks want to be able to uniquely identify who is making or receiving a call and they have indicated that they want to do so with phone numbers - something not currently suited for the task. One interpretation of that is that they are just being idiots. BUT, another way to interpret the intersection of those facts is that spooks want phone numbers to become unique identifiers of the person using the phone at that moment.

Anyone have a spare roll of foil? I'm almost out.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So

Every time I pick up a different phone, I change identity.

All that disguise nonsense is a total waste of time then.

BTW if you phone my home number you might get me, or the wife, or one of the kids, or the cleaning lady; but clearly they are all the same to a spook.

Must post anonymously, as I don't have a phone in my hand.

1. nijam Silver badge

Re: So

It weren't me, gov, it must have been that answering machine wot done it.

24. John Savard

Not Paranoid Enough!

How does identity-based encryption work?

Anyone who knows my identity can compute my public key.

But I was given my private key, based on my identity, from a trusted central authority.

Since telephone numbers do get re-used, the fact that they don't identify a person is, indeed, an additional flaw. But the fact that the private keys are generated by the trusted central authority generating them all - in random order, to eventually get to everyone's private key - means that the "malicious" part is simply the fact that identity-based encryption, even based on a valid identifier, is being proposed.

The telephone number part was no doubt just to distract people from the real problem, so that a "corrected" proposal would find acceptance! And you fell right into their trap!

25. CryptoHobo

Do your research Reg!

I'm sure a lot of what GCHQ does is malicious, but endorsing legitimate academic cryptography isn't one of them.

All the arguments you make about this being 'malicious' apply to all of identity-based crypto (IDPKC), and looking at this RFC it's just (rather cumbersomely) endorsing academic research published 12 years ago. I suggest you email Dan Boneh at Stanford who invented much of this field of cryptography and get his view, or any other cryptographer worth his salt. Perhaps do some research next time before jumping to misinformed conclusions.

In TLS or IPSec you authenticate with a PKI certificate in much the same way. This is also not 'a person' and this is also not malicious. In this case of IDPKC the telephone number (or anything else) *is* the PKI certificate. This is actually pretty cool, and there's some very clever academics behind the original research. How or if it is associated with a person is just not relevant.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like