back to article Nvidia to beat AMD to release on-the-fly GPU switching tech?

Nvidia is said to be moving forward with a plan to allow notebook computers fitted with both integrated and discrete graphics chips to flip between the two GPUs, the better to balance battery life with all-out performance. We're not at all surprised. The latest claim is made in a Chinese-language report on HKEPC, but Register …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Andrew Wood

Why would you want to do it this way?

Surely if you want to do something that needs a GPU then having it switch off beacause your on battery kind of defeats the point of having a laptop.

Now I can see the point of having a chipset that only powers the GPU when its features are being used. If I am logged on and checking my mail then I dont really need my GPU so no need to have it running. However once I have checked my mail and want to game for 20mins or so whilst I'm waiting for my flight then fire up my GPU.

2. E

Because...

If for no other reason that that Nvidia can now sell you two chips instead of one.

3. regadpellagru

Maybe they could fix SLI first ?

I have yet to see any game support forum that hasn't the first line of the top most sticky post say "disable SLI, it creates loads of problems" !

While it's certainly a good idea, I believe it's already largely dropped by gamers, due to the loads of issues with the drivers, thus pointless to use as a marketing label.

That is, until it's fixed.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like