back to article Eric S Raymond releases hardened, slimmer NTP beta

Dogged developer and open source champion Eric S Raymond has announced a beta of a refined version of the network time protocol code as open source following financial backing. Raymond (@esrtweet) has been plugging away at a more secure and cleaner version of NTP part time, as "architecture and protocols guru" on the NTPsec …

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

OpenNTP?

I wonder if he was aware of OpenNTP.

1. cat_mara

Re: OpenNTP?

Or Poul-Henning Kamp's Ntimed?

(Insert old saw concerning the wonderful thing about standards here...)

1. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"Insert old saw concerning the wonderful thing about standards here"

AFAICS the old saw doesn't apply here. One standard, multiple implementations, rather like HTTP, SMTP etc.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

I wonder if he was aware of OpenNTP

Maybe it's just me, but that's the sort of question I would expect a real journalist to ask. I've sent an email to the project, let's see what comes back. As for Ntimed, that project hasn't seen an update for quite some time.

I'm glad someone is looking after NTP - it's one of the more critical components of any decent platform.

1. Christian Berger

OpenNTP has its uses, however...

OpenNTP is great for keeping a rough time of day on your computer, however it's not meant to be more precise than 50 milliseconds. It apparently doesn't even compensate for drift.

Also OpenNTP doesn't allow you to have hardware time sources, so you cannot use it for time servers. It's just meant for the 90% of people who can tolerate having a clock that's 50 milliseconds off. The rest of the people still had to use ntpd with all of its security holes.

Particularly the ability to compensate for drift is getting more and more important. It allows you to synchronize systems via IP. That way you can make things like small scale DAB transmitters running on Raspberry PIs or even rented virtual servers on the Internet. Since all the clocks of all devices run at the same rate, you will never have buffer over- or underruns.

1. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: OpenNTP has its uses, however...

"Since all the clocks of all devices run at the same rate, you will never have buffer over- or underruns."

Only if you don't run NTP and don't communicate with other systems cryptologically. Time can and will drift, resulting in things like SSL breaking when other systems have a far different time than the server time is.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

"I'm glad someone is looking after NTP - it's one of the more critical components of any decent platform."

Indeed, attacking NTP is one way to brute force TFA systems via freezing the time set by NTP.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I hope he didn't replace autoconf with that hideous python-based thing, which is like jumping from the frying pan into another frying pan.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

What "hideous python-based thing"?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

waf? He did, and apparently it ended up being 30 KLOC smaller purely because of that.

On new projects autotools might be much better than waf, but on old ones it can be literally Cthulhu. It's relative.

3. DrXym

Perhaps the hideous python thing refers to gyp. Many C++ projects use gyp or cmake to produce their makefiles these days. They're kind of like meta makefiles - the input describes the project source code, flags etc. and then the tool is run with a target platform to spew out the appropriate makefiles. It means someone can generate Visual Studio projects, or gnu make, or Ninja scripts from a single description.

Personally I prefer cmake but the both it and gyp do more or less the same thing.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Perhaps the hideous python thing refers to gyp.

No, I meant SCons. Sorry I couldn't remember its name last night. I never used gyp and have no opinion on it (I do like CMake though).

3. Midnight

This could be the biggest thing since Fetchmail.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

HatfulOfHollow

Knowing Eric S Raymond, if you'd asked me what I thought he'd been developing recently, I'd have assumed it was something like a way to shoot people in the face over the Internet. :-)

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: HatfulOfHollow

The crowdfunding for that would be a lot easier.

2. Wzrd1 Silver badge

Re: HatfulOfHollow

"Knowing Eric S Raymond, if you'd asked me what I thought he'd been developing recently, I'd have assumed it was something like a way to shoot people in the face over the Internet. :-)"

Having been in his house before Y2K, I'd not be surprised if he was also trying to develop that.

The man had an umbrella stand full of 12 gauge shotguns.

5. Mike 16

The snark-elf on my left shoulder

wants to know how many of those 98KLOC approached 509 characters.

6. MarkAtwood

I am the PM of the NTPsec Project

Hi!

I am the Project Manager of the NTPsec Project.

Darren Pauli, his editors at the Register, and the readers of the Register are invited to read our website, especially the "Press and Media Resources" page. I know that you are aware of it, because you linked to it. Darren, the editors and factcheckers at the Register, and the readers of this article are invited to ask me questions about NTPsec.

Eric's blog post was not the announcement, nor did he "release" it. I announced it, and I released it. Eric is part of a team effort, a fact that he constantly and honestly says in his blog posts about the project.

Yes, we are aware of OpenNTP, and yes we are aware of Chrony, and yes we are aware of NtimeD. NtimeD is also a CII funded project, and we on the NTPsec project look forward to running interop tests with NtimeD when it's time for doing so.

Thank you for your attention.

Mark Atwood

Project Manager pro-tem

NTPsec Project

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I am the PM of the NTPsec Project

Excellent, thank you reaching out and giving us a heads up.

Even more importantly, thanks for taking care of NTP. Few people appreciate just how important accurate time keeping is on a system, and even fewer realise that there is a whole slew of easily accessible infrastructure out there that can help, so thanks.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like