back to article Green rectangles are the new rounded rectangles

South Korean web portal Naver is considering a legal tilt at Hewlett Packard Enterprise over just who first decided a green rectangle makes a good corporate insignia. Yonhap reports that Naver has been using a green box since 2006 and reckons HP must have known about its logo. HP's told the Korea Times it devised its own …

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

WTF

"transformative, flexible and agile as we are becoming, while standing out from the pack"

Was "everything else was taken" somehow not an acceptable response? It makes me physically ill that anyone got paid to come up with this bullshit, and I work with marketdroids 8 hours a day.

I came up with a logo for my company when we started. It is an albino bristlenose plecostomus. When asked, I can and do give honest reasons why. Namely:

1) I like bristlenosers. I think they're cute. They have a lot of personality and their antics in a community tank make me smile.

2) Almost nobody knows what it is, so it's a great conversation starter.

3) Pleco!

But seriously, HP? It's a rectangle. A rectangle. How the metric fuck is it "agile" or "flexible"? And how in the name of His Noodly Self is it "transformative"?

That someone got paid for this....RAWRGFRAGLEBALRGERG....

2. FozzyBear
    Mushroom

I've heard a lot of BS in my time. but

HP's described its own new logo as " ...transformative, flexible and agile as we are becoming, while standing out from the pack."

this statement has just broken my internal BS meter, took a dump on it then set it on fire.

3. Pompous Git Silver badge
    Meh

Presumably penned by some one whose life ambition was to have a job being paid for taking mind-altering drugs. You could call them successful I suppose...

4. Mark 85
    FAIL

I'd be willing to bet that the person who "designed" the green box got a flat rate. The person that came up with the bullshit got one helluva lot of money. On the maybe bright side, the corners aren't rounded which might begat another round of lawsuits.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Trollface

Maybe they have a point

After all, if you were Naver, would you happy about the risk of your business being linked in some people's minds to the bucket of fail that is HP?

6. Yag
    Facepalm

a. freaking. green.rectangle.

Are they seriously considering a "green rectangle" as being intellectual property now?

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

PS : I guess HP choose this logo because a 100$ bill would have been too obvious.

1. Stoneshop
      Flame

Re: a. freaking. green.rectangle.

"I don't want to live on this planet anymore"

When tackling problems, any problems, one should start at the source. In this case the whale stick burners and joss song hummers, plus any that have comissioned them to burn and hum, plus those that have accepted the result.

'B' ark, hold 17.

1. Steven Roper

Re: a. freaking. green.rectangle.

'B' ark, hold 17.

Agreed. We seriously need a 'B' ark for this planet. The only difference I'd apply is that instead of repeating the Golgafrinchans' mistake in programming it to crash-land on a life-supporting planet, I'd suggest using it in one of Disaster Area's sundive spectaculars.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A prediction of the future perhaps?

Just change the colour to black and you have a coffin.

HP-E is anything but agile etc.

Anon because an HP-E droid sits next to me so I have first hand experience. Mind you he don't start till 09:00 GMT. The rest of the team are here at 07:30 (and finish early) just to beat the traffic. his manager won't let him do the same hours as us. Agile? Flexible?

Make your own mind up.

8. Inspector71
    Alert

Hmmm....

I sense the Hand of Bong! here.

1. TheOtherHobbes

Re: Hmmm....

That's not his hand.

9. h4rm0ny

When we get to the end of 2015, is El Reg. going to have a best headlines poll?

Because if they're not, they should.

1. Yag

If you count the sub-headline, it will be difficult to beat this one : http://www.theregister.co.uk/2015/11/16/anonymous_isis/

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"When we get to the end of 2015, is El Reg. going to have a best headlines poll?"

How about a PR Turd Of The Year poll?

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
        Happy

"How about a PR Turd Of The Year poll?"

This, and other polls as mentioned above sound right up Lesters street!

10. TWB

Sunday night homework

Sounds like last minute Sunday night homework - you know the sort, where the deadline overrides the quality.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

Do what?

Is that sign saying: "Share Your Mind" or "Shave Your Mind?

1. Stoneshop
      Coat

Re: Do what?

Yes

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Re: Do what?

I read it as "shave your mind".

Oh what the hell, why not? [gos into bathroom]

Anyone reminded of this? (Wait for the 1:20 min mark.)

12. Grahame 2

I think I preferred it when they were 'oblongs', but they became 'rectangles' when I left primary school. Shame.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

oblongs

It is an oblong -- a non-square rectangle. I always use oblong when appropriate because it's such a cromulent word.

BTW, doesn't it look like the oblong has accidentally floated above the text from it's intended position in the bottom right void? Or is that a deliberate attempt to grab your attention because the mind of a typical commentard will mentally try to put the shape where it seemingly belongs? In which case it's cleverer than I thought. Damn.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's minimalist to the point of taking the p**s, but I kind of like it for some perverse reason. Probably because it *is* just so ludicrously minimalist...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Agreed, there's nothing actually "wrong" with the logo. It's the BS describing it that sticks in the throat.

14. TeeCee Gold badge

You can see HP's reasoning.

After all, if they were to ask for a logo that everyone would immediately associate with the company, they'd get a picture of a huge pile of money on fire.

15. Crazy Operations Guy

Sounds like a bunch of toddlers arguing...

The two shades they are using are quite different (Naver's 0x88B243 vs. HP's 0x00B086) as well as the rectangles themselves (Different ratio of lengths for the sides and different line thicknesses).

This legal bickering sounds like a more trivial version of a couple of kids in kindergarten whining to the teacher because "I was painting a dinosaur then Billy copied me! He should change his picture! Whhaaaa!"

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like