back to article Microsoft's 200 million 'Windows 10' 'devices' include Lumias, Xboxes

Microsoft has kicked off the New Year – and the run-up to the annual CES hypemare in Las Vegas – with the latest figures on Windows 10 adoption, claiming that over 200 million devices now run the operating system. "As of today, there are more than 200 million monthly active devices around the world running Windows 10," …

1. Graham Marsden
    Thumb Up

A reminder re: "Nagging Pop-ups"

How to get rid of them

1. Aniya
      Pint

Re: A reminder re: "Nagging Pop-ups"

If you do not wish to uninstall KB3035583 (as its removal is known to brick Windows Update notifications) and you do not wish to install a third party application (such as "GWX Control Panel") the following registry keys should disable all forms of Windows 10 Upgrade nagware and downloads:

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\WindowsUpdate\OSUpgrade]

"ReservationsAllowed"=dword:00000000

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\Gwx]

"DisableGwx"=dword:00000001

[HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\WindowsUpdate]

"DisableOSUpgrade"=dword:00000001

1. John Bailey

"If you do not wish to uninstall KB3035583 (as its removal is known to brick Windows Update notifications) and you do not wish to install a third party application (such as "GWX Control Panel") the following registry keys should disable all forms of Windows 10 Upgrade nagware and downloads:"

For now.

1. Aniya
          Pint

Yes, "for now." But in all likelihood most third party applications do the same. I've been trying to eliminate the Windows 10 Upgrade nagware for some time on a few non-domain computers I manage (mostly friends and some contract work for small companies).

While uninstalling KB3035583 is an obvious solution Microsoft have republished it once already (and in doing so it becomes unhidden from Windows Update) so it isn't really a permanent one. Furthermore I have noticed that on most systems the Windows Update tray icon goes missing if KB3035583 is not installed. This becomes problematic because we do not want to configure Windows Update to be 100% autopilot (for obvious reasons) but not receiving any notifications at all means everyone will forget to install updates when Windows Update is configured to "check with me before downloading."

These registry keys have worked for me as a convenient and lightweight solution I can mail over to anyone and it does the job. While Microsoft could make them redundant in the future it's still a lot less bothersome to be nagged once every couple of months compared to being nagged daily.

2. Salts

Got bored with all that Fuc|<ing about in November, last hold out windows 7 laptop got a new install of Ubuntu Mate. I now no longer have to worry about any pop up telling me I can upgrade to windows 10 and the fix is permanent by all accounts :-)

2. PJF
    Flame

ENOUGH!

I'm quite tired of all the MS Win 10 B.S.!

[RANT:]

IF I would (maybe a bazooka aimed at my crotch) want to up(down) grade to 10, I'd just do it on MY own terms and time, and out of MY pocket..

Win 3.0 - bought 5-1/4" disks - own pocket - MY first 286 w/ 287 co-pro (previous was an ATARI 800)

Win3.1(1) - bought 3-1/2 disks - own pocket - 386-dx; wanted a "cheap (serial)" home network

Win 95 - bought CD - try it out (kept crashing, poor networking)

IBM O/S-2 - bought 3-1/2 - own pocket - TRUE multi-tasking; not just pause one op for another... loss of support was the major failing..

Win 98 - bought CD(s) + throw-a-way systems - again, out-a-pocket; better networking

Win XP - DEMO/Insider - Bought MULTIPLE CD's + Systems+"editions" (home, pro) - out of pocket

Win 7 - Again "insider/demo" - bought multiple CD's + systems+"editions" (home, pro, ult.) - more $$

Win 8 - "insider" - didn't like it - DIDN'T buy it

Win 8.1 - got it for "free" on a borked system, better than 8, but still didn't like it

Win 10 - Insider - Didn't/DON'T like/want it - reverted to a clean 7 install

IF I WANT this steaming pile of dung they call a OS, I'll gladly pay for it - IF IT IS WORTH IT

[/RANT]

Now running Win 7/ Mint on dual boot - more Mint than 7(which I'll probably format for disk space)

Thanks for letting me vent a little...

1. Paul Crawford Silver badge
      Trollface

Re: ENOUGH!

What about Windows ME?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

You paid for Windows, why?!

Only version of Windows I ever bought was Win3.1 when it came out, the rest I've got for nothing through various work places I've been in or through OEM copies that fell out of boxes, when they used to give recovery CDs. Granted I knocked off XP when it came out ( Devil0wn anyone? ), that lasted about 6 months until I got given a free OEM CD by a colleague. Certainly never paid for Windows for the last 8 years, since I made sure I got my mug into the MSDN programmes at the places I've worked and I work primarily on Unix systems!

3. JMiles

Maybe...

Microsoft want to get everyone on the same and latest OS to reduce the number of platforms they need to issue security fixes for.

Imagine you don't upgrade for a while and then some security weakness gets discovered in your version of the OS and you become an unwitting participant in a botnet. I suppose the damage caused elsewhere would come out of your pocket since you were the one who decided not to update to get the latest codebase?

1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
        Holmes

Re: Maybe...

I suppose the damage caused elsewhere would come out of your pocket since you were the one who decided not to update to get the latest codebase?

We are reaching feudal levels of exploitation here.

"Didn't till the lord's land (which he so magnanimously bestowed on you) for free? You had the chance. Now PAY!"

2. MAH

Re: Maybe...

I would only half agree with that statement.

I will put money on the fact that in 2018 at the latest, they want everyone on Windows 10 because its going to turn into a subscription model that actually fails to boot unless you have an active subscription for the software..which probably means shelling out $100/year/machine..if not monthly...

Subscription is the new model of Microsoft and since today we never own the software we are only licensed to use it, the license will easily be updated to reflect that the license is valid as long as the subscription is valid.

That is why they are pushing so extremely hard to get everyone on windows 10...the single platform actually only makes up a small percentage of that desire.

4. Fred Flintstone Gold badge

Thanks for letting me vent a little...

Be my guest, I wholly agree with the sentiment. I even got you some help from Garry Perez in 2015's most upvoted post so click that and consider it repeated once more.

To be honest, I think this may have been the post with the most upvotes in the whole history of El Reg, which is ironic because it was first removed by moderators due to a lack of stars which were offending the PC brigade.

That rant is IMHO meme/poster worthy.

3. Kanhef
    Holmes

Maths

11 billion device-hours in December using Windows 10. 200 million monthly active Windows 10 devices. 31 days in December.

On average, each device is being used for 55 hours per month; less than two hours per day. Of course, some get used much more than that, which means many of their 'monthly active devices' are hardly being used at all. Not exactly encouraging numbers.

1. Mark 85

Re: Maths

Hmm...maybe it's because there's a pile of them are sitting in a warehouse somewhere waiting for a retailer to sell them which skews the numbers?

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Maths

Not to mention those installs that are persisting because the admin (hello!) is too lazy to restore the 7 image.

You can subtract another 6 installs at some arbitrary point in the future since I can't seem to tame the "Get Updates" fullscreen un-cancellable nag dialog when GPO is set to 'Notify but don't install' and 'Only notify administrators' - the latter of which is being ignored, meaning users are getting nagged, meaning I'm getting nagged.

4. tokyo-octopus

Microsoft watching you viewing your photos?

> 44.5 billion minutes spent using Microsoft's Edge browser (formerly known as Spartan),

> 82 billion photos viewed on the new OS,

> and 2.5 billion questions asked of its Cortana digital assistant.

And how, I wonder, do they get those stats? Apart from the Cortana ones, which presumably require a working connection to a MS server.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Microsoft watching you viewing your photos?

Oh, and Timmy Johnston, that pic of your new puppy, so adorable!

Good luck with the court case BTW

- MS

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They probably know who is viewing Pron piccies as well.

Perhaps this figure comes from Edge? All the images viewed through their lovely spyware packed browser.

Either way, it this is not evidence that Windows 10 should never ever be deployed in a corporate environment that I don't know what is. This is even more true is you compete in any way with Microsoft. How do you know that your company secrets are not ending up on an MS Server somewhere? You don't. Pure and simple. Then naturally, it won't take long for the various Government Agencies to get their hands on it, all in the fight against terrorism.

Look even little Jimmy's Cat Pictures can contain military grade secrets via steganography.

So nothing must escape their net. Won't someone think of the Children!

3. Dan 55 Silver badge
      Flame

If I wasn't going to run it before, they've made sure I'm certainly not going to run it now.

Is there nobody left at MS saying stop this travesty?

4. nkuk

It makes me wonder if people are uninformed, ignorant, or just not bothered that Windows 10 is harvesting more personal information from their machines than most spyware/malware.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"It makes me wonder if people are uninformed, ignorant, or just not bothered that Windows 10 is harvesting more personal information "

Google are far worse but people still use Chrome and Android...

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

I'd ditch Google entirely but an awful lot of websites use googleapis. God knows what data they slurp.

No android or chrome here.

No MS Phones or W10.

My phone is an old Nokia with no internet.

2. Jess

If you can't trust that they honour the settings not to spy on Windows 10, then how can you trust they won't install the same spyware on their other systems?

(And I'm not referring to anything they might be ordered to do under the patriot act, because if that is a serious worry, then you shouldn't be using any system that has an upgrade system ultimately subject to the act).

I am also curious about all the posts saying Linux mint and Windows 7 are both fine but 10 isn't. Windows 10 looks just like Mint (probably why I quite like it TBH.)

5. big_D Silver badge

Lumias

There can't be that many of them, only the 950, 950XL and the 550 have Windows 10 officially at the moment. Otherwise it is beta testers using the Insider App. The upgrade is set to be officially released sometime this month, AFAIK.

1. ToddR

Re: Lumias

Are they related to those big wooly things from Peru?

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Are they related to those big wooly things from Peru?

No, they're Llumias. You're probably thinking of the Dalai Lumia.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yes, the ones that spit in your face when you least expect it.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dear Microsoft

I have several Windows 7 licenses which I have bought with money I have earned W*O*R*K*I*N*G. You may want to look this word up. It may offer you valuable insight into why people do not like 10, and may help to further explain the following.

I have tried Windows 10 as an 'insider', all the way up to final release, and I have continued to use it on and off since.

On december 31, however, I have decided to discontinue every and all use of Windows 10, and for the following reasons :

1. It does not offer me any functionality I require, want or would like over Windows 7.

2. You allege it is 'FREE', but it is not. You may not want immediate monetary payment for it, but you DO require me to allow you access to all use, traffic, email and other information. In other words, you want me to be a digital prostitute for a Windows 10 fix. I respectfully decline.

3. You want me to relinquish the few rights I still had on Windows 7 which I had legally purchased (see above, have you looked up the word WORK yet ?) for something that is not better (some may argue a lot worse) AND give you access to what basically is my life, so you can monetize it without cutting me in on the deal.

I DO NOT THINK SO.

Disrespectfully yours,

Peter R.

1. RyokuMas
      Paris Hilton

Re: Dear Microsoft

"You may not want immediate monetary payment for it, but you DO require me to allow you access to all use, traffic, email and other information. In other words, you want me to be a digital prostitute for a Windows 10 fix. I respectfully decline."

One question: when searching the web, which engine do you use? After a post like that, please, please please tell me it's Duck Duck Go...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"please please tell me it's Duck Duck Go..."

Which is basically BING.

2. The Original Steve

Im fairly sure security and functionality (support for new hardware for example) are features in any new OS that everyone benefits from.

That aside, I fail to see why you'd not just use a local account, turn off the telemetry and not use the store.

The amount of rants about the telemetry in W10 is crazy. Should someone post that they hate the default settings in Ubuntu, they get a prompt reply to make a setting change such as changing the X server used or to disable the amazon search. Yet changing the default behaviour on Windows demands burning it with fire and swearing to $Deity that you'll never touch it again.

Change the telemetry, the you can enjoy the new security improvements since W7 as well as support for newer hardware and performance improvements (yes, W10 is faster than W7 on the same HW) for free without the 'prostitution'.

One assumes you only use GNU / FOSS, inc for mobile? Or are you happy being pimped out by Google and Apple but not Microsoft?

1. noboard

"The amount of rants about the telemetry in W10 is crazy. Should someone post that they hate the default settings in Ubuntu, they get a prompt reply to make a setting change such as changing the X server used or to disable the amazon search. Yet changing the default behaviour on Windows demands burning it with fire and swearing to $Deity that you'll never touch it again."

Most people ditched Ubuntu because of their snooping, so the reaction to Windows 10 is the same. Also the big difference with turning the snooping off in Windows10 is that MS may turn it back on again without telling you, I'm pretty sure they've already done it once. Changing the Windows manager for ubuntu is simple and can't be undone unless you have your box open to the world.

Personally I've ditched 10 over Christmas as it wasn't very good.

2. Uncle Slacky Silver badge
        Black Helicopters

The telemetry is still going on even when you've allegedly turned it off, though:

http://arstechnica.co.uk/information-technology/2015/08/even-when-told-not-to-windows-10-just-cant-stop-talking-to-microsoft/

7. Ru'

" 44.5 billion minutes spent using Microsoft's Edge browser "

It sure is taking people a while to download chrome, and then search ways to stop Win10 using edge for every desktop/start menu search...

1. Darryl

I was thinking the same thing... And the Cortana questions are probably about how to stop Win10 from switching all your default applications back to Edge and the other Win10 apps after you've set things up the way you like.

8. TheOtherHobbes

>"As of today, there are more than 200 million monthly active devices around the world running Windows 10,"

Am I the only one thinking there's a giant warehouse somewhere in Redmond with 190 million unsellable old Lumias in it, charging away for users who will never come?

9. Nolveys
    Gimp

The Windows 10 Experience

A lot of people have asked me if they should upgrade to Windows 10. It's a hard question for me to answer as user experiences tend to be very subjective.

Luckily there's a way to sample The Windows 10 Experience without actually installing the software:

The Windows 10 Experience Preview System

1. Teiwaz

Re: The Windows 10 Experience - WTF?

Unwarranted number of D/vs for an attempt at an amusing pic post.

At first I thought 'soap in a sock', then erm, coffee and toast in a Prophylactic?

I still don't get it, but good attempt, clearly a lot of thought (and a large sheathe) went into its creation. Have an U/v (drop in the wind though).

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: The Windows 10 Experience

I don't get it.

1. Bronek Kozicki

@AC - the icon used above could be called "sadomaso", perhaps take it as a hint?

3. Anonymous Coward
      Happy

I thought the picture was amusing, but I didn't really get the joke - so I didn't vote.

From the comment above I now realise, I think, what it means. I find it gross and extremely offensive.

However, that captures succinctly Microsoft's current attitude to Windows users, so have an upvote.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

My take: trojan condom = trojan horse, camera in the condom, they're going to f'you and get a great look into your umm... "life" I guess.

I couldn't make out a Flash, so hopefully that doesn't come bundled. That could open you up to all sorts.

10. Robert E A Harvey

fudging the figures

So they included all the people with Lumia phones in the total?

All six of them?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: fudging the figures

Oh look, every one of us has down voted you.

Lions dont lose sleep over the opinion of sheep.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Meh

200 Million Devices

As noted in the article, this figure isn't broken down and includes XBOX etc. installs. What we really need to know is how many PCs are now running the OS for business/pleasure/academic etc purposes.

That does not include devices running the OS for test purposes.

I suspect that they are including millions of 'Insider' installations, which will artificially inflate the figures (especially as many insiders run multiple installs on VMs - all counting as devices).

1. Pascal Monett Silver badge

If it is indeed test machines, then it will be interesting to see how that number changes when the tests are discontinued.

In any case, it seems like MS is throwing everything including the kitchen sink to bolster its numbers. No matter, MS will survive a while yet, but when the new generation that has grown up on Android and Iphone get to the workplace, they're going to kick that bucket hard.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: 200 Million Devices

microsoft pre installed devices installed devices ready for delivery to eager consumers count in the figures.

picture of the microsoft storage facility can be found here.

http://www.forgottenfiberglass.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/30217/2014/10/24/raiders-of-the-lost-ark-matte-painting.jpg

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But Xboxes are selling very well

Not so. So bad infact Microsoft now refuse to disclose how bad.

Ancidotal evidence from. European retal suggests being outsold by PS4 around 5:1. And in the US home turf its 2.5:1

It's sold so badly that it's beyond repair, as gamers buy whatever their friends have, and that is PS4.

Xbox one has earned its place on the Microsoft scrapheap, along with windows phone and surface tablets.

1. Timmy B

Re: But Xboxes are selling very well

I did a quick google and found a few sites that say your 5:1 is way off and the worst is about 3:1. It's not beyond repair and a quick survey here (in my office in the uk) says it's about 50/50 including Christmas purchases for kids.

Saying all that I prefer my PS4 and it is without doubt the better performing system.

Surfaces are certainly doing very well.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Timmy B

And your evidence for that is what? Your opinion???

2. MJI Silver badge

XB1s are doing fine, in fact pretty well, but PS4s are doing EXTREMELY WELL

I know of 2 XB1s and a hell of a lot of PS4s, 1 of the XB1s belongs to a PS4 owner on my friends list.

The figures for XB1 will be a pretty large percentage of the W10 installs

1. Roland6 Silver badge

XB1s are doing fine, in fact pretty well

However, I expect they (XB1's) would be selling a hell of a lot better if MS had paid more attention to the real world and peer groups!

Most of my son's friends have in the past year had their Wii's upgraded to Xbox 360's by their parents, because XB360's and games are readily obtainable at favourable prices in the used market. Given XB1 is for most purposes totally incompatible with XB360, and that applies to both console-based and online gaming environments; why would I buy an XB1?

In fact once we make the decision to either not buy or replace the XB360, there is little to hinder us in evaluating the PS4, XB1 or wait until Nintendo unveil their new console... (Aside: Steam hasn't yet made it into the world of pre-teenage boys wanting to play FIFA and hence doesn't get mentioned.)

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

11m XB1 sold 20m shipped is best data available.

36m PS4

1. MJI Silver badge

Well we have 4 consoles under the TV, one I never use myself except to weigh myself, and one not used in about a year.

The not used is the best selling of all time, but it is old.

The rarely was the best selling last generation.

The two used are the replacement models for the first

None are MS, and I am not a fan of Nintendo games (prefered the contemparies from Sega)

So I am part of the PS4 success

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

One not one

I suppose I am one of the lucky 200 million but at the same time not one.

Last autumn I backed up my main work PC Windows 7 installation using Macrium Reflect and proceeded with the "upgrade" to Windows 10 (using the offline ISO method). This wasn't a test to see if it worked (plenty of others have done that) it was to establish whether it could be a realistic working system for me; that I could seamlessly move my working arrangements from Win7 to Win10 in much the same way as I did from XP to Win7. I would accept a bit of change but in the relationship with my desktop friends I am the customer and they are the supplier.

It worked OK but the UI is still targeted at touch screens, tablets etc. It was difficult to use as a serious desktop. It seemed to extend the Windows 8/8.1 line of development rather than be more like Windows 7.

So I spent quite a bit of time customising the desktop using both Win10 and external tweaks and in the end got it into a semblance of working order. Standing back to admire my work I realised that I had made it look fairly close to Windows 7. Then came the incessant updates and I noticed how much it was dialing home to Redmond so I thought "sod it - all this has been done for Bill Gates' benefit not mine". I junked the Win10 installation and restored Win7 which is where I am now.

So, I expect that I am counted as a new Windows 10 user (I had to create a Microsoft account and an installation id etc) but in reality I am happy to see that pile of crud go the same way as Windows 8.

Windows 7 will be maintained until spring 2020 and I doubt whether many of my network of 7 PCs will survive past then so upgrading now is pointless. In the meantime my Music PC and one of my laptops are working nicely on Linux Mint. It is remarkable how much better the open source OS is getting. Anyone with the time to spare experimenting with OS changes should lose their Linux virginity. Who knows, you may enjoy it.

14. Mage Silver badge
    Alert

Lies, Dammed lies and Statistics

So how many people would have upgraded if it wasn't free?

How many people would have bought an alternative if Win10 wasn't preloaded on the new shiny?

1. Robert E A Harvey

Re: Lies, Dammed lies and Statistics

Well, I would have done. I was planning to sit out 8 and build a machine for 9, when it came, but had to do summat sharpish and ended up paying for 8.1 as a distress purchase. I could not get an OEM copy of W7

If 10 had not been free I would have cheerfully paid for 10

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Captain Badmouth
      Devil

Re: Lies, Dammed lies and Statistics

Free software? Why am I reminded of this :

http://dilbert.com/strip/2001-01-06

15. PapaD

7 and 10

Well,

I've installed Windows 10 on a laptop that is mostly used when I travel, or once a week for random bits and bobs. I've cleaned it up with classic shell and installed Spybot anti-beacon to try and stop MS from monitoring all that I do on it.

However, even though it works fine now, and I haven't had many problems with it, I doubt i'll be upgrading my primary PC (windows 7 desktop) to windows 10, I just don't see the point.

Oh, and installing Windows 10 on the laptop totally disabled my wifi connection - on a laptop that doesn't have the option for wired internet - Not a great thing for an install to do, good job I had a second pc to obtain the relevant drivers.

16. Avatar of They
    FAIL

To summarise.

200 million people gave in to nagging or were forced updates or were sold in the usual Christmas peak as people bought shiny new tech that didn't come with Win 7.

...And I had heard the PS4 was a 4:1 sale rate against Xbone. Christmas will have inflated the figures I am sure.

17. The Godfather
    Unhappy

Regrets...

Bought an Asus laptop with Windows 10 and beginning to regret it. Still no solution seemingly to downloading contact list details onto live mail and last night, a Windows update started at 11 pm and finished at 3.00am. Appeared to update the entire OS or so it seemed to me.!

18. Jimbo 6

'The world's most popular operating system'

...in the same way that gonorrhoea is the UK's 'most popular' STD.

Lots of people have it, that doesn't mean they're enjoying the experience.

19. Roger Kynaston
    Happy

200 million devices

So will this be revised down to 199,999,999 when I get around to defenestrating the laptop I bought in December?

1. David Hicklin Bronze badge

Re: 200 million devices

I put win10 on a test VM over Christmas and after lots of exploring of features and settings I had to ask myself that I was on a sodding smartphone rather than a serious* computer operating system.

Win7 can run until 2020 and by then I will have chosen a successor - be it a Linux version or even a Mac (still can't believe I am even considering the latter but I am!)

*(yeah I know - its Windows)

20. captain veg Silver badge

Shockingly poor numbers

Given how difficult they have made it to refuse the "free" "upgrade", I'm pretty astonished at how poor these numbers are. That's an awful lot of refuseniks who are only going to get more annoyed by the Redmond racheting up the pressure.

-A.

21. MrTuK

Interesting point !

MS says 200m on Win 10 !

Does this count all the Win 7 Pro users that migrated to Win 10 and then went back ?

Does this count all Win 10 downloads (sometimes due to failures Win 10 downloaded multiple times !)

As far as I understand it Win 10 had 120m users then suddenly after they include Xbox and others it is 200m !

As I don't have an XBox one of my biggest gripes with Win 10 was all the extra shite it included that I didn't want and didn't want to see on my PC, things Xbox, OneDrive, Calender, News, Mail (I use webmail) just so many stupid things cluttering up my Desktop that I had no interest in with no sensible way to disable without resorting to PowerShell or 3rd party hacks etc and that with Windows Update debacle and the whole data slurping idea made me return to ye olde faithful Win 7 64 Pro.

To be honest I gave it a fare go, 2 whole months of pain for me (I am a techie) yes I was an early adopter of Win 7 as well as Win 10, but Win 10 is just going in the opposite direction than I want to go.

I have a query which I doubt anybody will be able to answer about whole MS Data Slurping thing, So MS will start pumping adverts on the desktop like they do in Skype, since they have access to what you do, I wonder if you browse a porn site or Cars or Houses or dating sites if that will start pumping adverts for those on your desktop, could be pretty embarrassing if its a Work PC or if children are around when you are on your PC and MS decide to shove an advert on your screen of porn !

Will the adverts follow you from PC to PC and or Xbox - lol that to could be embarrassing on a full HD 55" screen - rofl.

22. BobChip
    Devil

And the real figures are...

If we can figure out a way to count in all IoT devices as well, then we will claim that everyone on the planet uses at least one copy of Win 10.

Then we can save a fortune by shutting down the M$ marketing department........

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

When a free upgrade does only a little better than a paid one (10 vs. 7)...

... maybe it's not such a success, is it?

And of course almost nobody was willingly to pay for 8. Strange they didn't compare it with Vista...

24. Anonymous Coward
    Facepalm

Yawn

Still hating on MSFT then. Whatever happened to the 2016 resolution to move on from being a comic?

25. Colin Ritchie
    Windows

200 million Win X devices? Really?

Where on the net can we find them?

Desktop Net Market Share?

Windows 7 55.68%

Windows XP 10.93%

Windows 8.1 10.30%

Windows 10 9.96%

Mac OS X 10.11 2.99%

Windows 8 2.76%

Mac OS X 10.10 2.23%

Linux 1.66%

Vista 1.62%

Less than 10% share 6 months after starting a free giveaway?

Hmm, on the bright side less than 1% behind XP!

Mobile Net Market Share?

iPhone 19.41%

Android 4.4 18.65%

iPad 15.88%

Android 4.2 9.49%

Android 5.0 9.31%

Android 5.1 7.70%

Android 4.1 3.37%

Java ME 1.85%

Windows Phone OS 8.1 1.75%

Android 4.3 1.75%

Symbian 1.70%

Android 4.0 1.18%

BlackBerry 1.05%

Android 2.3 0.92%

Android 6.0 0.54%

Windows Phone OS 8.0 0.39%

Windows Phone OS 10.0 0.23%

0.23% of mobile activity, Tablets and Phones, even worse.

(Data source here: https://netmarketshare.com/)

Must be a lot of Xbones about then...

26. JeffyPoooh
    Pint

"Now can you give us a break with these upgrade screens?"

I have a small pocket-sized P720 laptop from Sony. Windows 7.

It offers Windows 10. Click on it, "This laptop is not support due the screen driver." Close.

It offers Windows 10. Click on it, "This laptop is not support due the screen driver." Close.

Dear Microsoft, please fix this. It's quite silly and making you appear daft.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This takes me back to the last days of Steve Ballmer as Microsoft CEO

There was one time when an interviewer tried to ask him to define what exactly is a PC... Ballmer then declares that every device is a PC: phones, tablets, game consoles etc.

I believe this tactic was done for the Vietnam war too: when you are losing or in a stalemate, reframe the paradigm, modify the parameters of assessment, and declare yourselves the winner. A clever media spin afterwards will surely convince the masses of your so-called victory.

28. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This:

"and 2.5 billion questions asked of its Cortana digital assistant".

of which 2.49 billion were how to turn the fucking useless privacy invading bint off.

Ask "her" for Alsager Leisure Centre, "she" will accept that but then find the Victoria Community Centre.

Utterly hopeless unless you want to end up in the wrong place.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like