back to article Russian Pastafarian wins right to bear colander

A Russian follower of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster has won the right to wear a colander on his head in his driving licence photo, although this great leap forward for Pastafarian rights comes at a price. Andrey Filin posted a triumphant tweet last Saturday, in which he declared: "The first licence with a colander …

1. Thecowking

I feel bad for the bureacrats

May his noodly appendages bring enlightenment to them and his bountiful meatballs always be in their hearts.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: I feel bad for the bureacrats

I feel bad for the bureacrats

Why? I was very impressed by the authorities calling his bluff: "Ze next time he is stopped by ze traffic police, if he doesn't have a pasta strainer on his head, heez licence will be taken from his cold dead handz." Well, somm't like that.

There's lots of bad things about Russia, but let's celebrate the good things. Like the fact that a knob can get a driving licence with a colander on his noggin, and said twerp will lose his licence if he drives for a nanosecond without it.

1. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

Re: I feel bad for the bureacrats

Don't see why its a good thing that he should have to wear it. Who is this police officer to tell him how his religion works? If you respect the fucked up quackery of one religion you should respect the fucked up quackery of all religions.

2. hplasm
    FAIL

Fighting talk!

" "Pastafarian is not actually a religion. Rather it is a philosophy that mocks religion.""

Replace Pastafarian with any other religion and see what happens.

1. Shadow Systems

Re: Fighting talk!

Exactly. Change it to claim that about any other "mainstream" religion & you'll suddenly be up to your eyebrows in Civil Rights Lawyers baying to eviscerate your ass.

My own personal thoughts on their beliefs aside, I'm sure a Scientologist would just LOVE to challenge such a claim in court. "Put my hand on a bible? That's an icon of a cult not a religion. Try again."

Unless you have a tried & true, legally tested & repeatedly withstanding the rule of law, definition of what constitutes a Religion versus a mere Cult, you don't get to decide if someone's religious beliefs are "valid". They're just as valid as those beliefs of any other spiritual individual, be they Christian, devotees of Allah, practice Voodoo, or bend their knee to The Great Cthulhu. Go ahead, I dare you to tell Cthulhu that He doesn't exist to His face. He'll happily devour your eternal soul as a snack.

1. BoldMan

Cthulhu fhtagn!!

2. TeeCee Gold badge

...tell Cthulhu that He doesn't exist to His face.

You could try, but it would probably come out as: "EEEEEEEKKKKKK, wibble, wibble, wibble, wibble, I'm a teapot."

3. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Unless you have a tried & true, legally tested & repeatedly withstanding the rule of law, definition of what constitutes a Religion versus a mere Cult, you don't get to decide if someone's religious beliefs are "valid".

I consider my former religion, or at least the sect of it I formerly belonged to, a cult. That's got to count for something.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Pastafarian is not actually a religion"

But the Americans consider Scientology, that "dangerous cult" a religion!!

3. sisk

" "Pastafarian is not actually a religion. Rather it is a philosophy that mocks religion.""

The difference being that even Pastafarians don't ACTUALLY believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. With any other religion you can be pretty sure that the true believers really are true believers. Not so for the Pastafarians, who are mostly atheists in reality, with a dash of jesters from other religions scattered about.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"With any other religion you can be pretty sure that the true believers really are true believers"

How many are true believers?

My friend is a Catholic, goes to church on Sunday does all their churchy things. However he doesn't really beleive it, insubstantiation, creation, miracles, rise from dead etc etc. He sees it as a good a way as any to live with some of the morality seen in religions in as far as the be nice to people, think of others, don't be a "twat" etc. (This is my interpretation of what he tells me when we talk about over many pints or whiskies, ha) It also helped him get his kids in to a good local school.

I read a report of a church that had a policy of attendance for parents with kids at the school, I assume it was obvious that people were there because of this rule and not because they were devout, as the church droped the rule and attendance went down 70 or more percent.

1. Warm Braw

Re: insubstantiation

I'm not even a Catholic and I believe in that one. It seems to have happened to all the dead people I've encountered so far...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

'The difference being that even Pastafarians don't ACTUALLY believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster.'

Actually amongst members of some religions, there is less belief in their deity then outside the religion.

3. The First Dave

" With any other religion you can be pretty sure that the true believers really are true believers."

Except for Scientology, of course, but then only the septics consider that to be a valid religion...

4. Trevor_Pott Gold badge

"The difference being that even Pastafarians don't ACTUALLY believe in the Flying Spaghetti Monster. With any other religion you can be pretty sure that the true believers really are true believers."

So those priests raping little boys really believed in the God of the bible? Those protestants lynching blacks and building walls against latinos take "do unto others" truly to heart?

Bullshit. Bull fucking shit.

My belief in Jibbers Crabst is more real and profound than the majority of mainstream religious believers' belief in their deity and I dare you to prove, using evidence otherwise.

Yours truly,

--A born again Crabstian.

1. diego

@Trevor_Pott Your examples just demonstrate that there are some christians that do not actually uphold the teachings of Christ. But the point of Pastafarians not actually believing in Flying Spaghetti monster is still valid, as you could get a lot of examples of christians actually believing in christ, whether upholding his teachings or not...

4. GrumpenKraut

"[Whatever religion] is not actually a philosophy. Rather it is something that mocks intelligence."

5. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Religion is a philosophy that mocks common sense

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Blind adherence to a philosophy such as atheism is also a philosophy that mocks common sense.

Think about it. You can not prove atheism. And if you do think that you can, then you are deluded and just the same as people following any other blind faith.

1. earl grey
          FAIL

You are asking to prove a negative. It simply doesn't need to be done. FAIL

1. John Robson Silver badge

"You are asking to prove a negative. It simply doesn't need to be done. FAIL"

Why would that not need to be done.

I can't just declare that I don't believe my tax bill, or overdraft statement.

If I really think they aren't valid then I need to demonstrate that.

Atheism is a faith position.

Apathy is not - although many people won't want to admit that they are apathetic rather than atheist...

2. Goit

The burden of proof lies with the claimant, not with the doubter. Another anonymoron trying to claim atheism is a faith.

1. John Robson Silver badge
            FAIL

@Goit - "Another anonymoron"

Yes, I'm clearly anonymous... That's why I have the AC icon and the name Anonymous Coward...

An Atheist is claiming that there is no such thing as a God - not that they doubt it.

3. The First Dave

" You can not prove atheism. "

Nor can I prove that Santa Claus doesn't exist ...

6. I. Aproveofitspendingonspecificprojects

"Pastafarian is not actually a religion"

How is that statement even permissible?

Any splodgy tentacle worshipper would know that asking what the god of recognisable religions looks like, will produce a picture of an house divided.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Coat

I suppose this sort of thing must be a strain on the authorities...

1. Steve K
      Coat

Lots of holes in his argument

Yes, but there are lots of holes in his argument too.

Steve

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. leaway2
        Coat

Re: Lots of holes in his argument

But the authorities are sieving through the statutes for a (spaghetti) loop hole

1. Gazareth

You could say his case doesn't hold water.

2. Montreal Sean

You could say it is a spaghetti incident waiting to happen.

2. Peter Simpson 1
      Happy

I suppose this sort of thing must be a strain on the authorities...

I certainly hope so.

4. Lamont Cranston

That's not a collander, it's just a hat.

Unless knitted kitchen utensils are the norm in Russia?

1. ukgnome

Re: That's not a collander, it's just a hat.

I happen to know from other news sauces that he does have a yellow colander that he wears as his normal head gear. But it's cold in Russia so he has a hat for his hat.

5. wolfetone Silver badge
    Coat

In Russia You Don't Wear Colander...

Colander wears you.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Unless you have a tried & true, legally tested & repeatedly withstanding the rule of law, definition of what constitutes a Religion versus a mere Cult"

It's the "Law" bit that is wrong here. Lawyers are not sociologists of religion, and it is the latter who get to decide what is a religion and what is a cult.

Many lawyers, especially in the US, belong to a "mainstream church" so they are automatically disqualified from having a valid opinion on the subject.

Fortunately neither religions nor cults are illegal.

1. Lysenko

sociologists ... who get to decide what is a religion and what is a cult.

Ummm ...no.

Or at least you won't get very far defending your tax position with the IRS with just a sociologist on your side. A court will rule based on arguments from lawyers who might cite the opinions of sociologists.

Legislatures and Courts decide what is a religion and what is a cult/tax evasion scam when interaction with Government structures is involved (like driving licenses).

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: sociologists ... who get to decide what is a religion and what is a cult.

Wearing a colander on your head isn't the same as claiming Pastafarianism as a religion for the purposes of taking tax deductions (on what, raw spaghetti and colanders?)

It is funny that what started as a lark at Christian conservatives now serves the goals of anti-Muslim Christian conservatives. They hope that if government officials reject the wearing of the colander in official photos, they will also reject the wearing of the burka or hijab.

1. Mephistro
          Flame

"They hope that if government officials reject the wearing of the colander in official photos, they will also reject the wearing of the burka or hijab."

Sorry, but I can't understand why in any circumstance someone should be allowed to wear ANY headgear when being photographed for official documents/licenses with the the purpose of identification. Perhaps this is exactly the reason they -the pastafarians- are playing this game with the authorities.

Forcing a sentence forbidding these identificative-photos-with-strange-stuff-on-the-head-or-face at the highest court and setting a precedent would end with this tomfoolery for good!

You can't be photographed without your Batman mask? Then you can't drive, asshole!!!

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
            Joke

"You can't be photographed without your Batman mask? Then you can't drive, asshole!!!"

You raise an interesting point. Maybe motorcyclists should be allowed to have their driving licence photo taken with their helmet on. And go into shops and banks with it on too.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
          Thumb Up

"They hope that if government officials reject the wearing of the colander in official photos, they will also reject the wearing of the burka or hijab."

Wow! That's one hell of a leap! Have you considered trying out for your local Olympics long jump team?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Lysenko,

I see you are arguing from different premises. You have made up your own definition of a cult. Unfortunately, it's only in your head.

You are writing about the US government distinguishing "religions" and "tax evasion", and using "cult" as synonymous with "scam". You would seem not to know what a cult is, or that the US government makes no distinction between religion and cults.

I would try to explain, but I've just found to my surprise that Wikipedia has an excellent article on the subject of cults. I suggest you read it. You might learn something, like not to keep digging.

How's that Siberian wheat growing for you?

1. Lysenko

Churches are granted automatic tax exemption whereas all other 501(c)(3) charities have to actively apply for it via Form 990.

What qualifies as a "Church" (etc) is decided by IRS inspectors, based on the appended criteria lifted from the IRS web site. If they decide you don't qualify you end up arguing your case in court - lawyers - not sociologists.

These criteria are not unconstitutional until SCOTUS says they are - and they haven't - yet.

"Churches" Defined

-------------------

Certain characteristics are generally attributed to churches. These attributes of a church have been developed by the IRS and by court decisions. They include:

Distinct legal existence

Recognized creed and form of worship

Definite and distinct ecclesiastical government

Formal code of doctrine and discipline

Distinct religious history

Membership not associated with any other church or denomination

Organization of ordained ministers

Ordained ministers selected after completing prescribed courses of study

Literature of its own

Established places of worship

Regular congregations

Regular religious services

Sunday schools for the religious instruction of the young

Schools for the preparation of its members

1. Tom 7

Sunday schools? presumably that makes Islam and Judaism cults as they dont do sunday school.

2. 6th

Praise be.

#OurLadyofPerpetualExemption

2. Pompous Git Silver badge

Fortunately neither religions nor cults are illegal.

The Branch Davidians might disagree with that...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Pompous git

The Branch Davidians didn't get into trouble for being a cult, but for breaking other laws.

1. Pompous Git Silver badge

Re: @Pompous git

The Branch Davidians didn't get into trouble for being a cult, but for breaking other laws.

According to the Wiki-bloody-pedia:

On July 30, ATF agents David Aguilera and Skinner visited the Branch Davidians' gun dealer Henry McMahon, who tried to get them to talk with Koresh on the phone. Koresh offered to let ATF inspect the Branch Davidians' weapons and paperwork and asked to speak with Aguilera, but Aguilera declined. Sheriff Harwell told reporters regarding law enforcement talking with Koresh, "Just go out and talk to them, what's wrong with notifying them?"

Probably not the time or place to debate this, but there does seem reasonable grounds for suspicion that this was a case of the US government testing the limits of what they could get away with. In any event, I don't have a horse in this race being neither religious nor a Merkin.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @Voyna i Mor

The Branch Davidians were outright murdered by ATF and FBI for having the temerity to be prepared for the end of time and having beliefs that were outside the mainstream. There is no limitation on the number of guns or ammo that can be purchased, according to the Constitution. There is no limit on the type of religion that you believe in the Constitution.

No other laws were broken and you have no proof otherwise.

1. x 7

Re: @Voyna i Mor

"No other laws were broken"

Yes there were

How about systematic rape of underage girls for starters?

Koresh was a paeodiphile rapist, and much of his "community" was complicit in allowing his systemic abuse of their daughters. There were at least fourteen of his children in that compound, most mothered by minors

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Live-Action-Mashup!

Deputy Dog VS Bluto!

8. Simepo

Well, Cisco ScanSafe blocks venganza.org as being in the category "Religion" in my office.

Surely that settles the matter.

9. Holleritho

I am shocked

To me, a spag bol with cheese on top is a holy thing. And they dare mock!

10. A. Coatsworth Silver badge

Meaballs through the looking glass

Is the Pastafarian movement morphing into a "real" religion?

A few friends started the local "chapter" of the FSM church where I live. In the beginning it was great fun. Their main objective, as mockers of established religions and absurd laws was to challenge a local law that make the Government help funding the Catholic church. If successful their idea was to get part of the Church budget for themselves and use it to give free beer in the streets. Awesome stuff.

Weird thing, a couple of them withdrew from the movement because there was a faction that was taking thing way too seriously. Their gatherings morphed from informal parties with friends, beer and pasta to something more serious, with rites and activities that *had to* be followed.

The mockery of religion is all well and good, but... is it worth the effort some people seems to be putting into it? I don't think it is really necessary the FSM church can perform marriages.

I wonder if it is getting out of hand, maybe in a few decades will be a "real" FSM church with actual believers and dogmas... if enough delusional people gather together around what in principle was a neat idea, and form a critical mass of... self righteousness, so to speak. That would be a defeat for mankind as a whole.

Hey, don't look at me like that! it happened with a sub-par science fiction book, not 70 years ago! And only G-d knows what happened in the Middle East some 2000 years ago.

1. Lysenko

ke that! it happened with a sub-par science fiction book, not 70 years ago!

...and a few years ago a guy who believes stories about digging up golden tablets in New York around 1830 nearly became President of the USA.

The only thing separating preposterous rubbish from established religion is tenacity.

2. Fibbles
      Trollface

Re: Meaballs through the looking glass

I wonder if it is getting out of hand, maybe in a few decades will be a "real" FSM church with actual believers and dogmas...

Well, Scientology was started as a get rich quick scheme by a terrible sci-fi author, Christianity started as a a way for the local nutter to explain away his mother's infidelity, Islam started as a way for a small businessesman to always have the upper hand in trade negotiations, and Buddhism started as a way for a provincial prince to get away with his egotism and odd sleeping habits. Considering all that, anything is possible.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Christianity started as a a way for the local nutter to explain away his mother's infidelity"

You forgot that the Church of England was established so a king could dump his current wife, as the pope would not grant him a divorce, then marry a child.

You forgot that the Church of England was established so a king could dump his current wife, as the pope would not grant him a divorce, then marry a child.

Pope Clement VII was at the time the prisoner of Charles V. Thus Clement was in no position to agree a divorce from a close relative of Charles. I don't recall Clement ever marrying, never mind a child. Catherine Howard was 17 when she married Henry. The age of consent back then was 13 IIRC so she was hardly a child.

Thanks for the thumb down :-)

Checking, the age of consent was 12 in 1540, not 13. It was lowered to 10 in 1576 before being raised again to 13 in the early 19thC. In the American colonies, the age of consent was 7 and as late as the mid 1960s remained so in Delaware. It was perfectly legal for a man to have sexual intercourse with a boy or girl who had attained the age of 7 years.

2. x 7

"You forgot that the Church of England was established so a king could dump his current wife, as the pope would not grant him a divorce, then marry a child."

Henry's second wife was Anne Boleyn, who was 28 when she married him. Jane Seymour was a similar age when she replaced Anne.....

In general Henry seems to have bedded women in their late 20's or older.......probably because the fathers of younger girls had the sense to keep them away from court and so out of grasp. For instance Anne Boleyn was sent to France for many years to be out of the way (and gain sexual experience) while her older sister Mary was provided as royal concubine. Anne was the fall-back plan if Henry wouldn't marry Mary

the English king best known for taking a child bride is Edward III: Phillipa of Hainault was 14 when she gave birth to the Black Prince

Phillipa of Hainault was 14 when she gave birth to the Black Prince

in June just nine days before her sixteenth birthday. Maybe she never had a fifteenth year ;-) Edward was himself less than two years older than Phillipa. Phillipa had been chosen to be Edward's bride by his mother.

It must be remembered that until The Enlightenment children weren't children in the modern sense; they were treated as miniature adults. I recall reading these many years ago of one of the French kings' childhood. At the age of six he slept with a chamber maid in his bed. This wasn't just to keep him warm; she was expected to amuse him by playing with his naughty bits. Different times.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"Islam started as a way for a small businessesman to always have the upper hand in trade negotiations"

To justify paedophilia, surely? God apparently told Mohammed it was OK to sleep with a 9 year old - "and her dolls were with her"....

3. This post has been deleted by its author

4. Mark 85

Religion started as a way for humans to "explain things".. sun rising, setting, etc. Then it got a dose of "I'm important.. 'cause <SDIETY> loves me or promised me a better place. If we look at today, FB and Twatter are in many ways replacing religion since everyone can be self-important and just know that their followers love them.

Yes, the Pastafarians are taking themselves way too seriously although the colander on the head is a wonderful protest statement, it falls under the "hey, look at me! I'm important" thing. I one person does it, it's part of the joke. If more do it... it's the "hey.. I'm important". thing.

Given the size and nature of the universe.. all lives don't matter except to those close to them. I'm not even sure planets matter in the overall scheme of things.

Queue the DV's for affronting religion and those who think they are important. But before you do, think about this... every "leader", either of government or industry, who thought they were important and had the answers in the past are all dead. Their world is a part of history for good or bad. In the end, they didn't matter either. The current "leaders" are facing that same prospect in the long run.

<kicks philosophical soapbox to the corner>

5. Pompous Git Silver badge

And only G-d knows what happened in the Middle East some 2000 years ago.

What about Satan? Maybe he forgot. And the Demiurge, the creator of the world according to Plato. Maybe he forgot too ;-)

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

They did not forget - they were downsized.

6. Mephistro
      Devil

" if enough delusional people gather together around what in principle was a neat idea"

Which is a clear proof that religions attract delusional types.

7. Martin Maloney
      Trollface

"...with rites and activities that *had to* be followed."

The only thing that a nonconformist hates more than a conformist is another nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity!

11. Fred M

Praise Bob. Send money.

(I'm hoping some of you get that. But just in case, The Church of the Sub-Genius is worth a look.)

12. sisk

Isn't Pastafarianism basically just an anti-intelligent-design joke? These guys are taking the gag a little far IMHO.

1. Dave 126 Silver badge

THe Church of the FSM is a form of 'Russell's Teapot', a form of argument made by a very bright and compassionate individual. When we can all agree the world has too much common sense in it, *then* we will have no more need of Pastafarians.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell%27s_teapot

[ I note that the above article is a part of Wikipedia'a 'Atheism Series*', and is illustrated with a symbol designed by 'Atheist Alliance International'. It looks like the Starfleet logo from Star Trek. I don't normally ascribe conspiracy to co-incidence, but in this case it seems fitting.

* I don't know, but I'm assuming any article on Wikipedia that touches upon religion is specially moderated. ]

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Starfleet logo from Star Trek

also the logo of the pink invisible unicorn resembles the Klingon logo from Star Trek.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Invisible_Pink_Unicorn

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

These guys are taking the gag a little far IMHO.

For getting a driver's licensed changed? In a world that gets town centres shot up regularly; torture; murder; "honour" killings etc. by people because of their religious beliefs?

Frankly, I don't think they're taking the joke nearly far enough.

They are pointing out religion-driven irrationality in daily life by behaving in a similar irrational (but more benign) fashion. The overall impression may be silly (by *ahem* design); but the basic point is deadly serious.

There's a basic flaw in the human psyche that leaves a lot of people vunerable to any arsehole with an agenda and a convincing line of outrageous patter. Pastafarianism is an attempt to apply a security patch.

3. GrumpenKraut

> These guys are taking the gag a little far IMHO.

In case they continue to do that for 2 thousand years or so: yes.

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Lets start a new Religion

I can see a few thousands years ago Jesus sitting around with some friends after way to many cups of wine saying "For a lark lets start a new religion. Lets make it so outrageous and see how many fools fall for it"

14. Oldgroaner

I can't help noticing that the DL of this rather nasty state doesn't include its flag - - as recently pushed onto UK licences despite protests of Scottish and Welsh parliaments.

15. Martin Maloney
    Coat

It's a visual pun, folks

So having a drivers license photo with a colander on one's head started in Austria, then spread to the US, and now to Russia.

It adds a whole nother meaning to “brain drain.”

16. x 7

that russian pasta strainer looks more like an asbestos filter...........could be a good way to stop the brains from being irradiated

17. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Heretics...

Pastafarians, poor deluded fools, they will see the error of their ways on the day of the Coming of the Great White Handkerchief...... Achooooo

18. Florida1920
    Pint

A man has to believe in something

I believe I'll start the with a beer and a can of Spaghetti-Os.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like