back to article Bats and badgers hold up Apple’s Irish data centre plans

Apple’s Irish operations have hit another little local difficulty this week, as it emerged that national authorities are still reviewing its plans for a mega data centre in the beautiful Galway countryside at the behest of local bats and badgers supporters. Plans for the $850m, 30,000m2 centre, outside the town of Athenry, …

1. hplasm
    Pint

Badger ham

Used to be a thing- who knew? It was often a bar snack...

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge
      Thumb Up

Re: Badger ham

"badgers...are also renowned for making very nice smoked ham"

I'd have thought opposable thumbs, the discovery of fire and tool use would be a bigger story than the fact they make their own smoked ham.

2. Timmy B

noooo...

Smoked Badger Ham is not nice. Badger very slow cooked in red wine is better. But overall it's not great at all.

I'd have thought that with all their money they could build something like this underground and then plant a forest on top and encourage ecology.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: noooo...

I'd force this kind of settlement to reuse abandoned industrial areas - which would redevelop a lot of bad and dangeorus places around Europe.

Just is more expensive to build if you have to clean an abandoned industrial area first. Destroying a forest is usually much cheaper.

Then in thirty-figty years or so it will turn into another abandoned industrial area, and someone will lool for another forest to level...

2. Dr Dan Holdsworth

Irish legend had it that there were actually two species of badger in Eire; the Dog Badger, a dirty, scrawny beast much given to scavenging and eating carrion and the Pig Badger, an altogether nicer beast that was generally plump, exclusively vegetarian and exceedingly nice to eat.

I do rather suspect a spot of advertising talk in this legend.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

With their kind of money they could build a space station or a moonbase.

3. TRT Silver badge

But what would a platoon of beardy hipster types do...

with two gross of luxury shaving brushes?

1. Semtex451

Re: But what would a platoon of beardy hipster types do...

Hopefully contract TB

4. Harry the Bastard

how about badger bacon?

is it better than the ham?

5. breakfast Silver badge

Apple bobbing

In an age of climate change and likely sea-level rises, it makes sense for Apple to build a Cork-based European HQ.

1. TRT Silver badge

Re: Apple bobbing

The company has already floated...

6. Alan J. Wylie

It's so lonely 'round the Fields of Athenry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS0dUvEXx3g

7. Cynical Observer
    Facepalm

Don't underestimate the tenacity of these nut jobs!

As an example, Galway city was the fastest growing city in Ireland during the days of the Celtic Tiger. As the city grew and expanded however, the councils ignored the infrastructure until it was beyond breaking point and no longer fit for purpose.

A new, much needed bypass was required - and having almost secured the route and planning approval, in jumped the nut jobs wittering on about one field of flowers. They took it all the way to Europe and won - ultimately forcing the council into years of further consultation, planning and a route that demolishes two dozen houses in the process.

Apple would be well advised to say sod this - and walk away right now, It will only cost them years and millions otherwise.

1. GrumpenKraut
      Meh

Re: Don't underestimate the tenacity of these nut jobs!

> ... nut jobs ...

I am a bit tired of hearing this. Here is how it usually goes: Planning is published. Some people point out that there are problems. These problems can often be avoided by minor changes in the planning. Criticism is ignored. Things are brought to a court. Court points out validity of criticism. Now plans have to be re-done entirely.

And then the blame is on what you call "nut jobs'. Not fair.

1. Fatman

<quote>And then the blame is on what you call "nut jobs'. Not fair.</quote>

A few years back, one of the telco monopolies was planning a near-by cell tower on a commercially zoned site. Out came the NIMBYs and the RF (radio frequency) phobes at the local planning commission meeting.

"ON NOOOOOOO!!! TOO MUCH RADIATION!!!!!! IT WILL MUTATE ALL OF US!!!!!! WE WILL BE MICROWAVED TO DEATH!!!!!" was their cry.

What a bunch of FUCKING IDIOTS!!!! They are so goddammed worried about a 100 watt RF transmitter that is at least 600 feet from the closest home, but, they have absolutely NO FEAR of standing right NEXT to a 1000 watt microwave oven.

The fucking dimwit who just 'parroted' the same stupid talking points as the previous clueless idiots before her got the brunt of my criticism of those loonies. I asked her if she had a microwave oven at home, and if she knew what its power was. She did, and it was an 1100 watt unit.

I admonished her of her stupidity when I remarked: "you are afraid of this transmitter that is at least 600 feet away from the nearest house; but you stand RIGHT NEXT to a transmitter with 11 times MORE power, every time you put something in the microwave. Why should ANYONE take your """concerns""" seriously, and NO, I do not work for the cell phone company, but I had worked at a radio station in the past, and had stood next to 10,000 watt transmitters."

The planning commission finally recognized those """concerned citizens""" for what they were.

'NUTTERS' - I believe is the term used on your side of the pond.

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

Check your keyboard, I think there might be a faulty switch in the CAPS-Lock key or something.

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"What a bunch of FUCKING IDIOTS!!!! They are so goddammed worried about a 100 watt RF transmitter that is at least 600 feet from the closest home, but, they have absolutely NO FEAR of standing right NEXT to a 1000 watt microwave oven."

Maybe if the people installing the cell tower shielded it to the same standards as that microwave oven then everyone would be happy? Wait....what...??!!?!?!?

Not that I agree with the anti-RF nutjobs, but your analogy was pure gold plated shite.

2. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

But the badgers don't have to worry, because although the physical data center will appear to be in Ireland it will actually be in Applestan an imaginary country where nobody pays tax.

A bit like how all Apple stores in England are really in Ireland

3. Timmy B

One field of flowers can be far more than that. It could be the location of an important species, part of a corridor for the movement of other species, all sorts of things. A bypass - that serves only the interests of people just wanting to get to places faster isn't as important at all. We will always have bypasses but, sadly, we may not always have fields of flowers,

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"A bypass - that serves only the interests of people just wanting to get to places faster isn't as important at all. We will always have bypasses but, sadly, we may not always have fields of flowers,"

On the other side of the coin, all those cars stuck in traffic jams in the city pumping out pollution rather than smoothly driving along a by-pass minimising the pollution those cars are going to generate anyway, no matter what, might not be a good thing.either.

They need to work together, not go to court. Both sides can be as bad as each other in planning disputes.

1. GrumpenKraut

> They need to work together, not go to court.

Indeed.

> Both sides can be as bad as each other in planning disputes.

Yes, I have witnessed idiocy of the highest order from both sides. Planners: brutal arrogance, critics: let's say some are on the panicky side.

8. TRT Silver badge

You know what it is, don't you?

It's your basic imbalance in the natural order of things. Since the time of St Patrick.

9. Timmy B

On another note....

I just noticed I got a bronze badgey..... Don't I feel all importanty.....

1. A K Stiles
      Thumb Up

Re: On another note....

until you realise that the bronze badgey thing just means you post an adequate quantity of drivel (or intellectual discourse - your choice) over the last 12 months or so. Of course, now you have the thing, you must continue to contribute your witty repartee at a sustained rate lest the shiney be taken away again.

Moi? Jealous? Mais non monsieur! Never let it be said that I'd merely be posting this to boost my own post count in hopes of joining you on your lofty hights of bronzeyness!

1. A K Stiles
        Pint

If that had been the case I'd have done something stupid like mistyped the word 'heights', then not corrected it within the designated 10 minutes editing window, thus necessitating a subsequent post to correct my own sloppy grammar/spelling/typing ability. I could always blame it on Friday afternoon though?

2. Fatman

Re: the bronze badgey thing

I have had one for a while, and I really don't care, BFD!!!

You are right about one thing, sometimes it IS useless drivel.

2. hplasm
      Happy

"I just noticed I got a bronze badgey....."

Now you are a Bronze Badger!

1. x 7

"Now you are a Bronze Badger!"

Bronzed beavers are more fun. Less fur.

3. x 7

'tis strange, but I went straight from no badge to silver

I guess I got forgotten when I hit the trigger point

10. x 7

when I was a kid one of the local pubs used to do a regular monthly badgerfest, with roast badger as the main course

never had it myself (too young) but of those who I knew who tried it, liked it. Rather skunky flavour apparently. No surprise because the living animals are quite pungent

1. Timmy B

I've eaten a few "weird" things including badger, hedgehog, squirrel and others. Badger is the worst of the lot. Though following on from a conversation at work I do have to say I don't at all mind earthworms (once did in a wild food stir-fry with foraged greens and roast beech mast).

2. x 7

I missed a key word in that post: it was supposed to read

"but of those who I knew who tried it, NONE liked it."

11. x 7

just found a recipe at http://www.thehuntinglife.com/forums/topic/3581-badger-ham/

really is worth repeating here

"This i a traditional recipe from the north east of england and to me is the only way to cook badger

1 Remove skin from meat and put into a large saucepan

2 add 1 half bottle of vodka and 2 bottles of newky brown

3 pour in 1 cupfull of fresh orange juice and half a bottle of good brandy(stirring all the time)

4 heat for about 45 minutes and then add a full bottle of dark navy rum

5 when mixture is just about to boil open your dustbin and throw in the badger meat cos it tastes crap and drink the gravy!!!!!!!!!! BEAUTIFULL "

1. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken
      Pint

Exept for the badger this one of my dad's party piece routines. Have an upvote for triggering a couple of nice memories!

12. Anonymous Coward
    Megaphone

Line 42: (Enter accrued Badger costs)

NO, TIMMAH, Apple is NOT based in Ireland, you cheap, greedy little *bleep*!!!! PAY. YOUR. TAXES!!!!! 400% mark-up for your grotty Unix spew - you should be Gulfstreamed to a Black Site for that alone.

1. gazthejourno (Written by Reg staff)

Re: Line 42: (Enter accrued Badger costs)

If anyone can decipher this babble, please tell someone who cares.

1. Fatman
        Joke

I think he is referring to a line from a USAsian tax form, the IRS Form 1040.

We here on this side of the pond have our own tax code royal clusterfuck to deal with, just like those of you in Blighty (did I get that right??) have to deal with HMRC (and did I get that right?).

2. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

I can decipher his babble - this site is an excellent training ground for this sort of thing - bus as you are clearly not interested...

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I'm just a bit baffled as to why Apple is building on a site that would require any clearance of forrest at all - native or not.

Ireland's hardly got any forrest, barely 10% of the land area is tree covered. It's extremely easy to find a non-forested site, probably in the same area.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Its easy to explain the clearance of forest, its non native as you said, and they are planning to plant some native trees. As any one who has ever spoken to an Irish person or just been in the same room as one, especially if they are not in Ireland and haven't been for many years, anything Irish is much better than anything not Irish. This is true to some extent to all expats from any nation, but apparently Irish coke (the drink not anything else) is better than UK coke so its a bit extreme here. So Apple were probably thinking get rid of something non Irish, replace with something Irish everyone will like that and support it.

AC as I'm currently working in Dublin, and the person next to me made the coke comment

1. x 7

" Irish coke (the drink not anything else) is better than UK coke"

thats because Irish mountain water tastes better than English tap water, and also Irish carbon dioxide has more fizz than English CO2

really, its true. A Kerryman told me

14. johnds

Same thing for Apple's data center in Denmark

Apple seems to be rather unlucky in picking sites for their European data centers.

In Denmark Apple are facing problems with protected species like frogs.

Unlike Irish authorities their Danish counterparts seem to ignore the problem.

As I an Appple shre holder I have raised the question directly to Apple. So I far I have not received an answer to my concerns.

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like