back to article Celebrities fronting startups again? Now we're interested!

Move over Stephen Fry: a retired Australian rules footballer, motivational speaker and reality television contestant is fronting a startup. As pitched by the Australian Financial Review, Jason Akermanis (a famous-in-half-of-Australia athlete and Celebrity Apprentice contestant ) has become the face of “unbreakable” crypto …

1. Sorry that handle is already taken. Silver badge

I find this to be very strange

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"patented hyper-secure cryptographic technology"

"Disruptive Security Technology Solution"

Don't need to look much deeper than that really. It has all the smells of snakeoil security, and even if there is a genuine innovation here, crypto systems aren't usually useful until after the patents expire. Elliptic curve only really took over market share after it was patent free.

(Fuck all loser countries which allow software patents btw).

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"crypto systems aren't usually useful until after the patents expire."

Based on the patent application, I think it expired in at least 1970 since I know there were crypto systems being used in WW2 whereby a message was split and encrypted (or encrypted and split) then each part sent by different routes/methods. IIRC from something I read many years ago, it was alternate encrypted blocks sent by each route, not just 1st half/second half so extremely unlikely to be useful if one part was intercepted.

I have little doubt that the idea is likely far older.

3. allthecoolshortnamesweretaken

With a bit of work you could make a soap opera out of this, maybe something along the lines of "Howard's Way".

1. LesC
      Coat

¡Bong!'s Way????

Mines is the map to Shoreditch in the pocket.

4. tiggity Silver badge

How was it patentable

How can you patent something thats already done in many places with sensitive data.

Lots of real world cases (though typically more complex) of breaking data into a number of pieces, storing encrypted (multiple keys) across a multitude of systems and recombine of encrypted data portions needing multiple keys (though most sensitive data systems I have seen have needed 2 or more keys, held by different people (though as ever flaw is that key copies needed stored somewhere to cover the "under the bus" scenario), so no one person can get the sensitive data). The data equivalent of the mechanical 2 keys approach for nuke firing.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: How was it patentable

"How can you patent something thats already done in many places with sensitive data."

Despite my other comment, maybe because "on a mobile device?" :-)

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon