back to article vAdmins vJoice! vSphere finally gets a modern web client

VMware's popped out its second update to vSphere 6.0 and addressed a long-time vAdmin gripe by adding a new web interface that doesn't rely on old-school plugins. The new VMware Host Client is an all HTML-5 affair. The new code is derived from a “Fling” VMware posted a few weeks back (Flings are useful-but-unsupported code …

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Next maybe EMC can update Unisphere

So that it doesn't require Java. Yuck!

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge
      Unhappy

Re: Next maybe EMC can update Unisphere

Unisphere on my EMC kit requires Flash.

2. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

vCentre

How long until vCentre goes native HTML?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: vCentre

Hmm, I presumed this was vCenter, as in the interface for managing vSphere. I must admit though that even though we use vmware in house the names of their products and the fact that they seem to change every few periods make it one of the most confusing platforms to understand exactly what each product is, what is included, what is the latest name for it or what the difference between different product/plugins/add ons etc are.

When I first started looking at virtualising servers it was a minefield just trying to understand, what is essentially an easy concept.

2. WraithCadmus

I'm looking forward to that too, direct management isn't really what I'm looking for.

1. ZenaB

Hold onto your buttz for the rumoured 6.5 later this year then. The surveys and murmurings are hinting at them rewriting it right now exactly like this fling-gone-gold..

3. nuclearstar

Thankfully all the features I need as a user are still on the thick client so I will still be using that until the use of the web client is as responsive and smooth as the thick client.

1. david 64

... Which is ironic as the thick client isn't exactly responsive and smooth......

But I know what you mean.

1. A Non e-mouse Silver badge

Which is ironic as the thick client isn't exactly responsive and smooth

But it's better than the Flash behemoth...

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like