back to article Romania suffers Eurovision premature ejection

Romania has been prematurely ejected from this year's Eurovision Song Contest after state broadcaster Televiziunea Română (TVR) failed to cough fees owed to the European Broadcasting Union (EBU). The shock expulsion came after the EBU gave the Romanian government - which it views as "legally obliged to underwrite TVR's debt …

1. James 51

It hasn't been the same since the great Sir Terry Wogan hung up his microphone. Graham Norton doens't do too bad a job.

2. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

"The effect of the decision has been most keenly felt by Ovidiu Anton, who was poised to perform Moment of Silence in Stockholm on 12 May. "

A nicely prescient song title.

3. Doctor Syntax Silver badge

About the headline

I see what you did there but no ejection from the Eurovison Song Contest could be called premature. Long overdue would be the best description.

1. BebopWeBop
      Trollface

Re: About the headline

You might even say it was a long overdue ejaculation from the competition?

4. Valarian

"...until 20 April to pay 10 million of the 16 million Swiss francs (roughly £11.3) in unpaid fees..."

That's a bloody awful exchange rate. Here, have £15 to pay the bill and treat yourselves to a few hundred Dacias with the change.

5. Ilgaz

Eurovision is way more than a cheesy competition

Losing access to Eurovision Network is a big deal for a large TV station and also a serious prestige loss.

It is like getting booted from a major Internet exchange point.

1. jaywin

Re: Eurovision is way more than a cheesy competition

It's a shame so few people understand the differences between Eurovision, the EBU, the EU and the Eurovision Song Contest. On the other hand, it's bizarre how much hatred a singing competition gets. It's not like it goes on for months or people are forced to watch it.

1. John Tserkezis

"It's not like it goes on for months or people are forced to watch it."

It certainly seems to drag on like months.

2. Michael H.F. Wilkinson Silver badge

It is indeed no worse than the X-factor or The Voice of <Insert Name Here>, and those DO drag on for months. I am fine with people watching those programmes as long as they do not expect me to.

6. Sir Sham Cad

And they'll still get douze points from Moldova.

7. Arctic fox

I am sure that in years to come.......

....Romanians will bless the day. Or at least those that have any taste will.

8. I ain't Spartacus Gold badge
    Devil

The sad thing is, I think the Germans and the BBC put up a huge chunk of the money, with other broadcasters paying much less, and the hosts footing the rest of the bill. I guess it guarantees that we don't have to go through qualifiying, but just think how much of a service to music it would be if the BBC were to spend that money on something (anything!) else. Although taking out a hit on Justin Bieber would surely be the best use of license fee payers' cash.

I'm guessing that the, more effective, option of assassinating Simon Cowell would be frowned upon by Ofcom, due to the damage it would do to ITV's Saturday evening ratings.

1. Vulch

The Big Five countries (UK, France, Germany, Spain and Italy) are the largest contributers to the EBU overall, not the Song Contest. Most of the money goes towards things like the news exchange which would cost the BBC far more to try and replace directly.

(Ex-BBC engineer 228622A)

2. Voland's right hand Silver badge

You are mistaking the contest (which is pocket change) with overall access to EBU material. EBU material != contest.

Romania has failed to pay for their EBU dues and content they got (and used) from the EBU.

As far as putting Simon and the Eurovision contest crew and participants on the same boat without water, food and oars and letting them sail into the sunset - I am with you. That would be a splendid use of UK viewers money. Can we have the producers of Big Brother on the same boat too? They can produce the resulting real time feed from the boat as their final farewell programme. It will be fitting (especially when they start eating each other).

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

I'll only agree if the boat has a calibrated leak such that it will sink 200 miles offshore.

1. earl grey
          Trollface

i'm thinking torpedos and sharks

definitely sharks....

9. Efros

I wonder

If a petition could be raised to stop the BBC stumping up for this annual crapfest.

1. Richard Jones 1
      Happy

Re: I wonder

Go on go ahead with that idea. Thousand would appreciate the improvements it could bring. Otherwise since we have to have it thrust down our throats oops sorry screened at us; broadcast it at 3 a.m. perhaps on the old BBC three space.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

It wasn't so bad when we were allowed to treat it with the contempt it deserved. Now, though, we're expected to 'celebrate' it and be engaged. Urgh.

1. Danny 14

It was pretty funny when it was commentated by Wogan. It just isn't the same now, the veiled sarcasm just isn't as funny.

1. nijam Silver badge

> ... the veiled sarcasm just isn't as funny.

Actually, I think it is - admittedly in a different way - and the other EBU nations seem to find our opinion of Eurovision incomprehensible either way.

10. disgruntled yank

Moment of Silence

Music by John Cage, Lyrics by Marcel Marceau?

1. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Moment of Silence

Will they sue for breach of Copyright ?

11. Pink Duck

Is sad…

Since the Romanian entry is in my top 5 from this year’s contenders. Oh well, could just be seen as not making it through the semi-finals like 21 other countries.

12. Chris G

If only

The rest of Europe would stop contributing funds toward the Eurovision Song Contest, it would be the cheapest improvement to television ever!

1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Re: If only

Eurovision is hardly the worst thing on TV.

It is probably 20 hours of TV a year tops which is considerably less than that given over to individual sports, let alone collectively. And then there are numerous 'soaps' which are on every night, repeated endlessly, then packaged into omnibus editions in case one hasn't had enough.

Strictly, Bake Off, The Voice, Britain's Got talent, X Factor, I'm a Celebrity, Big Brother, TOWIE, Geordie Shores... I have to put up with never ending shite I don't like so it seems only fair that others should return the same courtesy.

Besides; whatever else people would be watching if Eurovision wasn't on would probably be equally crap.

1. itzman
        Paris Hilton

Re: If only

I have to put up with never ending shite I don't like

I switch to channel V or CBS and watch never ending shite I do like

13. x 7

thats buggered my sex life this weekend, all the romanian working girls are (even more) pissed off and unhappy

14. Cynicalmark
    FAIL

Wow

Another Euro 'success'. How the hell did they discover the way to leave? Its like the Readers Digest - once you're in you'll never leave is what we all thought.

Much respect

1. Hans 1
      Happy

Re: Wow

>Its like the Readers Digest

Send the crap back to them using freepost, include a brick or two to show them how much you like them ... ;-)

15. Uberseehandel

It is not Premature it is Overdue

They should have been suspended 8 years ago, when they first got into debt.

By their lights they have behaved logically - idiot Eurovision allows them to run up a big bill, year after year for 8 years. It is not reasonable to expect payment of that much money, wait until it is no longer your problem

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Euraustralia??

Does anyone else find it somewhat strange that Romania, an EU member and clearly a part of continental Europe has been excluded while Australia is allowed to participate?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Euraustralia??

You might ask the same about Israel, which has been taking part for some years now. Alas, the song contest organisers have stated that they have global ambitions, and Australia is just the first easy step in expansion. At some point they'll presumably establish the obligatory massive headquarters and unaccountable Executive in Switzerland to run the World Song Contest and distribute the lucrative advertising, sponsorship and rights revenues...

2. DavCrav

"Does anyone else find it somewhat strange that Romania, an EU member and clearly a part of continental Europe has been excluded while Australia is allowed to participate?"

Did Australia pay their bill? Yes. Did Romania pay their bill? No.

There's your explanation.

3. poopypants

Being Australian I guess I should be surprised, but then again our head of state lives on the other side of the world, so business as usual really.

4. jaywin

If being an EU member or part of continental Europe was a pre-requisite for EBU membership you may have a point. But they're not.

5. Paw Bokenfohr

The Eurovision Song Contest isn't anything to do with the EU or Europe (see: Israel, Turkey, Morocco, Russia etc) but instead is a song contest organised by the EBU of which you need to be a member of some sort to send an entry to (notably, it's the broadcasting organisation which sends the entry rather than the country as such - in the UKs case, the BBC).

So, you could just as easily see countries such as Algeria, Cuba, Canada, and the USA sending over entries in the future, as all of those have broadcasters based in them who have membership or associate membership of the EBU.

17. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Here in the UK....

...we do tend to treat Eurovision as a bit of a joke, but it's worth remembering that much of europe treats it quite seriously, especially the ex-USSR and satellite states where they have a long history of all sorts of local, regional and national talent competitions of all types.

I'm not sure if the rest of Eurovision sees the same politically motivated voting that we do or if they are just conveniently blind to it.

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Do they allow camping?

Is it true that, following this news, hotel rooms in Romania are fully booked for the 2nd week of May??

Can I PLEASE pitch a tent somewhere in the country for that week!!??!!

19. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Camp spoof

Surely no one takes the Eurovision Song Contest seriously?

1. jaywin

Re: Camp spoof

Pretty much everyone except for the UK.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

And don't call me shirley

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

> Pretty much everyone except for the UK.

In Germany, campness is no laughing matter.

20. Steve 114

Lost the Plot

Wherever I go on holiday, there is atmospheric, ethnic, music which is locally popular but not 'pop', sung in local language, and no US-Engrish fakery, with local musical conventions and rythms, typically by girls who are well worth viewing (maybe men too, if that's your thing). That's what EuroVision used to be, when it was interesting, and was about 'songs' not commercial potential. Now it's a waste of space. Wogan's gone too. Cancel.

1. Paw Bokenfohr

Re: Lost the Plot

Wogan stayed way too long. If he hated the competition so much, he should have stepped aside and let someone commentate on it who could come at it with the British humour view of the competition from a place of fondness at least rather than the bitterness which Wogan gave to his commentary.

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Romania will be spared hours of musical suffering

And two things happen

1.) Number of immgrants from Romania dramaticaly falls.

2.) Toruism to Romania during Eurovision week increases.

22. OviB

I wonder why this event sinks money and not generate.

23. Richard Cranium

Put a rocket up the EBU accounts dept

How can you run a business and allow customers to ignore their bill for 9 years? I bin customers much sooner. One month late: polite reminder, 2 months late: overdue notice, 3 months late: disconnection notice with 10 day deadline and (expensive) credit plan option. That usually results in immediate payment, an apology and a plea to keep their services running. If they ignore the disconnection notice then after disconnection (at 14 days) restoring service comes with a reconnection fee.

1. Yet Another Anonymous coward Silver badge

Re: Put a rocket up the EBU accounts dept

Because when your only possible customers are 'n' european countries and you kick them out as soon as they don't pay you end up with no customers.

2. Hans 1

Re: Put a rocket up the EBU accounts dept

> If they ignore the disconnection notice then after disconnection (at 14 days) restoring service comes with a reconnection fee.

You do not work with [foreign] governments ... sovereign nations seem to think that they can just postpone payment ...

24. Stevie

Bah!

Why is it always the foreigners who demonstrate innovative thinking when it comes to problem solving? Questions should be asked in The House.

25. Captain Boing
    Alert

F!

you have to pay to be in that shite?

No wonder Israel and Arsetralia are allowed in, their cash is the same colour as everyone esles right?

I guess i always knew this was a scam just the numbers blew my gourd.

26. x 7

treatment?

Is there a cream you can rub in for premature ejection?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like