back to article Samsung's little black box will hot-wire your car to the internet. Eek!

Samsung is developing a small black box device that will plug into your car under the dashboard and instantly turn it into a smart, connected car. Speaking at its annual Developer Conference in San Francisco, the director of the company's Connected Car program, Val Zinchenko, showcased a rectangular black box roughly three …

1. Ugotta B. Kiddingme

I'll pass, thanks.

"But the bigger question of course is: why do car owners actually want a connected car?"

Well, silly, to make it even EASIER for ne'er-do-wells to hack into my vehicle.

"The main advantage of the device, according to Zinchenko, is that it might enable you to get smaller insurance quotes – because the company would be able to see how safely you drive."

More likely, 'because the company could use that data against you to deny claims, etc.' Especially when one remembers how Samsung got caught gathering privacy-invading data via their smart TVs and the like.

"That's going to be a very, very hard sell to consumers."

On the one hand, I'd call that El Reg's understatement of the year so far. On the other hand, looking at electoral results I see that people will fall for pretty much anything so this will likely garner "Product of the Year" honors or somesuch...

1. John McCallum

Re: I'll pass, thanks.

Samsung are a bit slow on this if all people want is lower insurance payments you can already get a "black box" that logs how you drive.

1. g e

"a rundown of your driving"

Seriously, I don't want an e-nanny. No thank you.

Even if it doesn't spaff all my data to some damned cloud I don't want a bot telling me it doesn't like my driving 'style' - the ruddy in-car camera is bad enough beeping at me when I go round corners too fast 'enthusiastically' (as I believe BMW handbooks call it).

1. Peter Simpson 1
          Stop

Re: "a rundown of your driving"

I'd like to see some research results that indicate a correlation between the quantities measurable thorough the OBDII connector and accident rate.

For example: do frequent rapid deceleration events correlate more highly with increased accidents or only with increased brake wear?

Just because the insurance company has declared certain measurable quantities as indicators of "bad driving", doesn't mean there's any basis in fact.

2. tmTM

"you can already get a "black box" that logs how you drive."

and they're about as popular as a fart in an elevator.

They're only ever forced on young, in-experienced drivers or those with a very sketchy driving record.

Shockingly Joe Public doesn't actually want some faceless organisation watching his every move.

1. strum

Re: "you can already get a "black box" that logs how you drive."

I've got one. (I'm 65) It knocked about £100 off my insurance.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

So funny :-)

"it might enable you to get smaller insurance quotes"

O how I laughed.

1. shade82000

Re: So funny :-)

Smaller insurance quotes? That won't happen.

The unsafe drivers will pay more and safe drivers will continue paying the same, but you can bet quotes won't get smaller for anyone.

1. Vic

Smaller insurance quotes? That won't happen.

I've been buying car insurance for rather more decades thatn I'd like to admit to...

My premium has always[1] been about £350, whatever car I own, whatever cover I select[2]. Except for last year's policy which was about £240.

I have only ever made one claim on my insurance[3] - that was in the year before my last renewal. And this year, where I haven't made a claim, my renewal is back to £350...

I am convinced that car insurance companies are simply insane.

Vic.

[1] I'm ignoring my classic policy, which was for a very restricted mileage.

[2] My choice of vehicle and cover has changed somewhat over the years, and to some exent has been influenced by what I can afford. but you'd be amazed how that really doesn't correlate...

[3] I had a split in my windscreen. Don't know how it happened, but I got a new one for £80. Which was nice.

1. g e

Strangely enough I just paid £263 for my insurance elsewhere when Tesco decided my renewal would be £530 instead of £370 due to an address change (to a 'nicer' area, too). Got the price from the opera-singing-now-robot company.

Which I consider pretty reasonable for fully comp with PNCD and legal for an XKR (hence why I don't want an acceleration/braking/cornering e-nanny).

When an insurance co puts their prices to silly levels I just assume it's cos they no longer want to cover your demographic any more, having focussed on a more 'profitable' one for that year. It all seems like a mahoosive scam anyway, imho, I'm sure these buggers all cahoot and collude together.

1. Triggerfish

No joking they raised my friends by £200 odd on the justification he hasn't had a crash or his car broken into in years so it must be likely to happen soon.

3. Throatwarbler Mangrove Silver badge
    Childcatcher

Toy store

"And is going to a toy store for your child really that big of a hassle?"

Shudder. Yes. But that's what Amazon is for.

4. Mark 85
    Meh

Ah... then this is just another solution looking for a problem then. Meh....

1. TeeCee Gold badge
      Meh

Aha! A sort of NFC 2.0 then?

2. Anonymous Coward
      WTF?

"Whatever you can imagine doing with a smartphone app, you can do with a smart car app,"

Like "Angry Birds"?

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This all assumes that it will be a voluntary arrangement. There is a distinct and increasing chance that various governments in the Free World will legislate a requirement that all cars be retrofitted with such a device for "safety".

1. js1592

All hail safety, our new God. Sacrifice all your privacy unto It.

1. TRT Silver badge

until some hacker opens the doors whilst I'm on the motorway withe the kids in the back.

1. Graham Marsden
          Joke

> until some hacker opens the doors whilst I'm on the motorway withe the kids in the back.

So there are some positive benefits, then...?

1. TRT Silver badge

@Graham Marsden...

...open the doors on the motorway...

...there are some benefits then...

Not the kids, no.

The wife's door.

And seatbelt release.

And the transverse rotational electrical seat adjustment.

And the airbag between the front seats.

Or the panoramic electric sunroof and the passenger side under-seat airbag...

2. PNGuinn
        Thumb Down

"All hail safety, our new God. Sacrifice all your privacy unto It."

All hail safety, our new God. Sacrifice all your SAFETY unto It.

There - FIFY

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

...will legislate a requirement that all cars be retrofitted with such a device for "safety".

Abd exactly how does that work with cars and trucks that don't have computers built in?

1. bazza Silver badge

Abd exactly how does that work with cars and trucks that don't have computers built in?

Given that the vast majority do have a CAN bus interface, they'd simply ignore the ones that don't.

I think that the problem is that people would learn that you unplug it and throw it away in the event of a smash. It's too easy a law to flout. When it's all built in it can't be disposed of easily. And governments are unlikely to force people to spend the money; every driver is also a voter, mostly, and an unpopular imposition would be remembered at the ballot box.

1. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

oooh, plug it into a 2001ish diesel focus! It has an ODBII socket. It doesn't talk ODBII however.. :)

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

@bazza

You're forgetting: governments love laws that are easy to flout. A law that is easily ignored and easily transgressed is a law that can be used to judicially punish just about anyone with impunity, which in turn gives the state an enormous level of control over its citizens. Smash the box and you may never be caught out, or you might be pulled into a checkpoint and your car subjected to a "routine inspection", and end up with the car impounded and destroyed and yourself with a huge fine and a potential prison sentence for driving with an "unsafe" vehicle which, by the requirements of the law mandating the little retrofitted box, was not legally insured.

3. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"an unpopular imposition would be remembered at the ballot box."

I think you may be overestimating the attention span and memory capacity of the average voter.

2. jonathanb Silver badge

All cars registered after a certain date are required to have it. Eventually all the old cars will be scrapped.

1. Erlang Lacod

... Would you like to explain that thinking to classic car owners ?

6. zanshin
    Meh

Not until someone makes me, and maybe not even then

I already turn my nose up at the insurance companies that offer these little dongles that monitor my speed and driving habits. I'll tell you straight up, I'm very sure that's *not* going to earn me lower rates. Despite the fact that I've only had one accident, ever, over 20 years ago, and it was a low-speed fender-bender.

But even if it would lower my rates, I view paying more for not being monitored as just fine, exactly how I view things like paying a subscription rather than being tracked on-line to get "free" content. Until someone legislates that cars must have these things built in (and I fully expect that day to come), the folks who'd like me to use them can get stuffed. And maybe they can still get stuffed even once the cars come with them, depending on how hard or illegal they are to disable.

The idea, then, that I'd willingly choose to pay a *third party* to curate this data is mind-boggling ludicrous to me. Odds are good there's already a third party involved in the branded equivalents that the insurance companies offer directly, but why would I want to pick a middleman like that for myself?

The rest of the things this doodad purports to do sound like a solution desperately seeking problems. I at least see the utility in the insurance thing, even if I disagree with the wisdom of taking advantage of it.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

They day will never come that they are mandated

Self driving cars will make it moot, since this will pretty much be required for them to properly operate. Those who drive their own will continue to be free, but insurance costs will begin to rise once self driving cars are able to demonstrate a safer driving record.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@DougS - Re: They day will never come that they are mandated

Erm, please try to enlighten me on why should I pay for insurance for a car that I'm not driving ?

Actually, insurance companies should start fighting against self-driving cars because this is going to kill most of them. Do you really think Google will do business with 30000 insurance companies ? They'll pick 20 or maybe 50 and good luck for the rest of them.

Insurance companies should also figure out that a real human driver will "drive" way much more revenue than a robotic car with an impeccable safety driving record. Pushing me to quit driving will surely spare me of the need to buy an insurance.

1. Public Citizen

Re: @DougS - They day will never come that they are mandated

Actually, Google is big enough and well enough funded that It won't do business with ~any~ insurance companies.

They will opt to self insure.

Those jurisdictions that don't allow self insurance will find life becoming increasingly difficult and the cost of the lawsuit campaign Google will wage more expensive than is politically acceptable.

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Re: @DougS - They day will never come that they are mandated

I think you're vastly overestimating the number of insurance companies - most are just different brands. I'd be surprised if there were even as many as 20 actually independent companies out there...

2. Public Citizen

Re: They day will never come that they are mandated

Hard to demonstrate a safer driving record than some of us already have, or over as broad a range of vehicles and driving conditions.

The only motor vehicle insurance claims I have ~ever~ been involved in have been generated by other peoples screw ups.

With these tracking devices the standard algorithms would label me a higher risk, strictly based on mileage driven. Above a certain average mileage there is an inverse correlation between risk and mileage, statistically demonstrable but ignored by most insurance underwriters.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

"Above a certain average mileage there is an inverse correlation between risk and mileage,"

Agreed. At least anecdotally, most of my near misses have occurred when I'm just leaving my home town or arriving back and I can be reasonably certain that the idiots doing the "wrong" thing are the ones doing the local commute and probably rarely drive more than 20 miles per day in town traffic only.

Of course there's always the odd idiot doing 70/80mph in driving rain and road spray on the motorway with a lane "closed for safety" and a 50mph limit in force. Usually in a big expensive car, so obviously too important to worry about minor restrictions when time is money :-(

3. Ahab Returns

Surely insurance costs are going to drop if driverless vehicles deliver fewer accidents?

2. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Re: Not until someone makes me, and maybe not even then

"The idea, then, that I'd willingly choose to pay a *third party* to curate this data is mind-boggling ludicrous to me."

Ever since these insurance "black boxes" were first mooted I've wondered if the policy includes cover for the eventual and inevitable data breaches.

If you ask, they tell you it's all "secure" and proper measures are taken. But we already know that the entire industry is based on risk assessment. How much risk are they taking with our data? If they are confident of their risk assessment then an addendum to the policy to cover against a data breach or even a hack which could cause physical damage ought to be a free add-on, not an extra insurance charge.

7. Eduard Coli

Been here before

Progressive is the mother of this horrible concept or at least some bastard sibling.

One hopes this massive invasion of privacy never catches on or makes its way into la buried in some larger, perhaps unrelated script inserted there by a well meaning or more likely well paid MP or Congressperson.

8. tfewster
    Stop

> By 2020, there will be [50% more cars ] on the road.

That seems unlikely, but it would negate the "bad driver detection" concern. You wouldn't be able to go more than 8mph anyway. But, on the bright side, there wouldn't be any accidents serious enough to cause an entire motorway to be closed, so it would be a _consistent_ 8mph

9. tony72

DriveWiz

[...] showcased a rectangular black box roughly three inches long that he said contained GPS, Bluetooth, a Wi-Fi hotspot and motion sensors.

Hmmm, It's almost like having your smartphone in the car...

The main advantage of the device, according to Zinchenko, is that it might enable you to get smaller insurance quotes – because the company would be able to see how safely you drive. That's going to be a very, very hard sell to consumers.

That is your "main advantage"? How about HELL NO! Also, again, if you really did want this, all you need is an app on your phone.

The other main advantage? As per the video, you can open your trunk and someone can drop off something you have bought online straight into it.

Well, you could get stuff delivered to work, or if that's not an option then there's "click & collect" or similar. Or you could let some numpty mess around in your car while you're not there. For me, not a difficult choice.

If you ask me, they really seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for reasons for this product to even exist.

Re: DriveWiz

How good is the gps going to be hidden under the dash anyway?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Chloe Cresswell - Re: DriveWiz

That GPS is not to help you navigate, it is to help them track you.

Re: @Chloe Cresswell - DriveWiz

I'll rewrite what I put.

"How good is the GPS signal going to be under the dash?"

If I had meant a navigation device, I would have put "satnav", not "GPS".

2. Captain DaFt

Re: DriveWiz

"If you ask me, they really seem to be scraping the bottom of the barrel looking for reasons for this product to even exist."

Oh, they have a very good reason for this product to exist, more detailed monitoring of you by the corporations and the state.

The hard part is coming up with a reason why in seven Hells would you voluntarily want it.

Have to keep up that illusion of 'free choice' for at least a while longer, don'cha know.

10. Eddy Ito
    Meh

Sorry, too much "Gee" and not enough "Whiz".

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Sorry, too much "Gee" and not enough "Whiz".

No way. The people pushing this have definitely had too much "Whiz".

11. Herby

Similar to a "connected toaster"

And about as useful. What did we do before computers invaded every part of a vehicle. It seems that we got along "just fine".

At one time I drove a 1964 VW bug (seatbelts installed) and had little problems. Great car to learn how to drive, and not a computer in sight.

If you wanted a "self driving car" you hailed a taxi. Life goes on.

No, a toaster does NOT need to be "connected". Go away!

1. Captain DaFt

Re: Similar to a "connected toaster"

"No, a toaster does NOT need to be "connected". Go away!"

Oh! For the good old days when that concept was laughable!

12. Da Weezil

Just - No

Given my past experience of Samsung products its the LAST thing in the world I would allow to be connected to my car - in fact I DONT want my car "connected".

My phone works fine - via a very reliable Nokia "cark" bluetooth unit that I have had for many years, it just works... I can make calls or even dictate a text. I don't need a wi fi hotspot, an insurance company spy or even a government friendly Tracker.

As others have said - a "solution" in search of a problem.

No Thanks - I'll pass.

13. oopsie

Hopefully, my car will be able to drive itself before this kind of thing becomes mandatory.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

"Hopefully, my car will be able to drive itself before this kind of thing becomes mandatory."

I wasn't speeding..... IT WAS the car Honest Your Honour!

14. Mage Silver badge
    Devil

It's not new either

Some young drivers due to exorbitant insurance, driven up by high jury awards, SOMETIMES for fake whiplash injuries etc have had the spy box for years to get cheaper quotes.

It's a nasty "thin end of a wedge" in surveillance society.

15. Paul Hovnanian Silver badge

Work-around

So your insurance company offers you a discount for installing one of these. Fine. But you don't want it messing with your vehicle's other functions. I predict that someone will cobble together an OBD-II/CAN 'condom'. An interfacing intelligent plug that sits between your vehicle's data bus and the insurance company dongle. And filters/blocks unwanted data from passing in either direction.

Some performance data can be derived from sensors internal to the dongle. Such as acceleration and braking from internal accelerators. There's not much one can do about that (other than stop driving like a jerk). But blocking the 'unlock the trunk' or 'shut down the engine' commands should be doable.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Work-around

"other than stop driving like a jerk"

I drive a 1.4 automatic so have to mash my foot in to the carpet to get the car to accelerate 10 seconds delay after my foot hits the floor. ok i can then ease up but something logging throttle position would see me as being erratic.

Looks like ill be buying a Model "A" try interfacing to that !

2. Chloe Cresswell Silver badge

To access the ODBII socket on my car, you have to remove a panel by the driver's knee. It just unclips, but it would be very ugly to have anything connected to it when using the car.

Also the panel can't close with the socket in use, due to the position, so every movement of your right leg would risk moving/unplugging anything in the socket.

3. Adrian 4

Or you could buy a little widget that sits at home with the box in its lap and _gently_ rocks it all day.

4. Tom_

Why not just feed it completely fabricated data?

1. Charles 9

When it gets mandated, it'll probably require professional installation using tamper-evident equipment, registration, and so on. Then it pretty much can't be faked without them noticing. And they can probably find thin plugs and so on to keep them from being accidentally dislodged in cramped settings.

5. jnemesh

Did you read about how some Progressive customers installed their little widget and it fried their whole car's electrical system? No? Did you then read about how Progressive isn't compensating these customers of theirs AT ALL for the damage? FUCK this technology, and fuck the people behind it!

1. Charles 9

Did you then read about the customers SUING Progressive as they should for malfeasance and false advertising in the matter? This appears to be a matter of a faulty device, not a greater matter of having your car Big Brothered or else.

16. jnemesh
    FAIL

Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope

Hell no! I am NOT giving my insurance company my data for "cheaper rates". They are already doing this with Progressive's "Snapshot" (which has an unfortunate ability to FRY some cars electrical systems, and Progressive isn't covering the damage either!).

I also do NOT want ANY way for someone to access my car, it's engine, it's doors, or the trunk via the internet! No way will I buy a car that has these features. It's just one more way that thieves can access your vehicle!

DO NOT WANT! Samsung, are you listening?

1. Charles 9

Re: Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope Nope

And what happens WHEN (not IF) they make it mandatory or you can't drive? And where you live you MUST drive?

17. Robert Moore

I am sure this will be simple to plug into me 1981 Fiat Spider.

1. PNGuinn
      Happy

Re I am sure this will be simple to plug into me 1981 Fiat Spider.

Minor wiring mod needed to interface between coil output and distributor input?

18. Someone Else Silver badge
    Alert

There's a reason for that...

"There are 900 million cars, but only 100 million of them are connected," said Zinchenko.

That might be because 8 out of 9 car owners are not complete morons?

1. cosymart
      Meh

Re: There's a reason for that...

That might be because 8 out of 9 car owners are not complete morons?

But every driver knows that every other driver, apart from them, is a complete moron. So that makes 99.9999% of drivers to be morons.

19. Magani
    Joke

New ne plus ultra standard?

"...Zinchenko said the new device would have "government-grade security" ".

Well, nothing to worry about there, is there?

1. BongoJoe

Re: New ne plus ultra standard?

To be fair, it would be rather difficult to leave your car on the bus.

2. TeeCee Gold badge
      Coat

Or, in other words, while your data will be protected by the latest ultra triple bum-cover encryption, it will also be available, in clear, on an unmarked USB stick left on the 3:15 from Paddington.

3. hplasm
      Devil

"government-grade security"

What does it need the backdoor for?

1. Cuddles
        Joke

"government-grade security

What does it need the backdoor for?"

To get in the back seat.

"Whatever you can imagine doing with a smartphone app, you can do with a smart car app,"

My car already makes erratic farting noises.

More seriously, almost all the things I can imagine doing with a smartphone app are things you should absolutely not be doing while driving, or with a car at all.

20. BJC

Privacy already compromised

Folks are rightly concerned about privacy issues. However, in the EU, that's already been compromised by requiring eCall units to be fitted to new cars from 2018. See The Register.

Of course you could choose to believe that no agency will use this for other purposes. If the agencies don't bother you then perhaps this might - "The European Parliament itself admitted that it expects a whole host of commercial companies to have access to this data."

21. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Dropping something off in my trunk?

Talk about a solution looking for a problem. Yet another Samsung stillborn failure of a product that they will abandon in a year, upsetting the few thousand people who get this because they think it is cool to be able to unlock their car with their smartphone.

22. jamesrichardson

it might enable you to get smaller insurance quotes

Right. It will enable insurance companies to raise premiums.... As you exceeded the posted limit by 1 M.P.H, you must no pay an additional $1200.00/year for your reckless driving.

1. Public Citizen

Re: it might enable you to get smaller insurance quotes

Or - - -

The posted speed limit has been raised but the data base upon which the reporting device is dependent hasn't been updated.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Although I upvoted, it's pretty rare IME to see a posted sped limit increased. Speed limits, if being changed, are almost invariabley reduced, not increased.

On the other hand, over three different SatNavs, two different brands, a road near me was 60mph limit, reduced 3 years ago to 40mph, but all my SatNavs see it not only as a 30mph limit but mark the entire stretch as a "30mph mobile speed camera zone"

Parkway in Grimsby (A16). Was 30, now 40 after a detailed traffic study by NELincs council.

Came as a shock to those living here, as as you said speed limits going up are rare.

1. Charles 9

It's very rare for that to happen, and it usually has to do with congestion. If more accidents are the result of stop-and-go driving than the result of speeding then they'll have a case for speeding things up because slowing down in that case has become counterproductive.

23. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Excitement or Excrement?

This is laughably sad... I mean was the business justification written down on a beer-mat.... This is more like a hobbyist invention anyway... WTF is going on?.. Snake-oil salesmen are alive and well on Wall-Street / Silicon-Valley for sure. Thanks but no, I'll still stick to dumb TV's too. Luckily LG still sell some (for now).... Screw you Samsung and your IoT, we still haven't forgotten your TV Panel-Lottery games..

24. bill 30

My God .... what would Barry Newman do?

1. Kurt Meyer
      Thumb Up

@ bill 30

"My God .... what would Barry Newman do?"

Thanks for that pleasant memory.

25. Vic

because the company would be able to see how safely you drive.

This meme annoys me beyond words.

I've trained with P1 pursuit drivers. They are the safest drivers I've ever seen. By a significant margin.

So how would these devices rate such people? They use rapid acceleration in all axes, and use speeds appropriate to the task in hand, regardless of the posted limits...

"Whatever you can imagine doing with a smartphone app, you can do with a smart car app," Zinchenko says enthusiastically.

I can imagine contracting malware from a smartphone app. I have a sneaking suspicion that Zinchenko may be completely correct.

Vic.

26. Sparks_
    Thumb Up

"government-grade security"

So it upgrades your car? If it's only a two door it'll install a couple more for the passengers in the back.

27. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Soon to be mandatory?

You just watch. Soon it'll be mandated, the government will be able to download and analyze your behavior, probably start issuing speeding tickets out of the data (since it can now cross-reference the engine with the GPS to confirm you were speeding and not in a concrete canyon), and basically start forcing people out of the driver's seat.

28. Sartori

IoD

When the first car with one of these fitted, crashes, do we officially have the Internet Of Dings?

29. 's water music

"government-grade security"?

"government-grade security" you say? Mexican voter registration agency or US OPM style?

30. BurnT'offering

Fantastic

A group of hackers on a motorway bridge with mobile phones playing life-size Scalextric. Hours of fun

31. Tom_

Thanks a bunch, Samsung

This won't lower insurance premiums for most people. If anything it will give insurance companies an excuse to charge people more for not having their car tracked 24/7.

Bargain. Thanks for that.

32. Yugguy

Pillock does not live in the real world

Did I read that right? This idiot thinks I want to open my boot remotely when I am nowhere near the car???

How can a presumably intelligent person think that could ever be a good idea?

33. Andy A

I could save what??

"I could save myself a trip to the toy store," Zinchenko says.

Wow!

You order something online.

So the chap from the toy store drives to your house and rings the doorbell. You get a tweet on your smartphone to announce it, then you use your smart-car app to open up your car. The delivery driver dumps your package in the back and drives off. When you have finished watching the "box set" of something off Netfix, (you dare not interrupt it because you never know whether Samsung will kill off your "smart" TV again), you head out to find the spotty kid left everything open. Your package has gone and been replaced by a dog turd or three. It's been raining hard too, so the inside of your car is now soaked.

Or is Zinchenko confused? Maybe you have to actually drive to the toy store and wait for somebody to come out. Then, rather than using the button provided by the car manufacturer, you use the app to open the boot?

34. PNGuinn
    Megaphone

OI, Samsung!

YOU CAN STICK THIS UP YOUR FARADAY CAGE WHERE THE SUN DON'T SHINE.

S-I-D-E-W-A-Y-S.

1. Charles 9

Re: OI, Samsung!

Thing is, this is going to get government attention, and you try to screw with government, they can screw you back. You just watch. They' mandate this or prevent your from driving, and if you're far from public transport, you'll basically have to (a) bend over, (b)become dependent on others to get anywhere, or (c) be isolated from the rest of society.

35. alferdpacker

But now they can deliver to your car!

Admittedly this is not something that anyone has ever wanted.

36. if(i == alive) { live_free = true; government = NULL; }

No thanks

I would rather cut my balls off with a rusty saw than have a black box in my car.

I am already spending hours researching how to disable the EU mandated eCall just in case people are daft enough to vote remain.

1. Charles 9

Re: No thanks

And once you find out you WON'T be able to without killing your car first? I'm pretty sure tamper-proofing is high on their list of priorities since tax money (not to mention vehicle safety and therefore lawsuits) is going to be involved.

And worse, what if you live somewhere where public transport isn't an option, meaning you MUST have a car pretty much to get anywhere?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like