back to article All you need for quantum computing at room temperature is some mothballs

Much of the current research on the development of a quantum computer involves work at very low temperatures. The challenge to make them more practical for everyday use is to make them work at room temperature. The breakthrough here came from the use of some everyday materials, with details published today in Nature …

1. Pen-y-gors

Interesting

Sounds like it could be an important step. But why does my brain want to explode whenever I try to understand quantum computing?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Interesting

An easy way of thinking is to think of it covering every possible state simultaneously. Due to limits in the number of bits needed to do this, it reduces your computational reach, but increases the speed (to theoretically instant results).

So say you had around 256bits worth of qbits (32bytes?) you could theoretically break 256bit encryption in an instance. The current problem is, you still need the rest of the computer to see if those bits decode your message. Which takes normal time. Which means currently there are very few applications for quantum computing.

But once we are also uploading your code breaking program and the encoded messages into a fully functional quantum computer, then we may be able to do really quick codebreaking (or search on Google in a femtosecond!). :P

1. frank ly

If you had two qbits, you could theoretically solve 3 - 2 (=1) but how does the superposition of all states (0,1,2,3) collapse to the correct answer? That is the part that I don't understand.

1. Ru'

"That is the part that I don't understand"

I'm with you. For me it seems like saying a totally black piece of paper contains the text of every and any book or text ever. I get this. I don't see how it helps though!

Didn't Richard Feynman say "If you think you understand quantum mechanics, you don't understand quantum mechanics."

2. Captain DaFt

"but how does the superposition of all states (0,1,2,3) collapse to the correct answer?"

This stuff gives me anxiety when I try to figure it out, but I find it perversely fascinating.

The best answer I can wrap my head around is that a superposition collapses to a known state when observed, and the observation itself determines the collapsed state.

In this case the the "observation" is actually done by the equation "3 - 2", which causes the superpostion to collapse to the desired state "1".

The word "observation" is actually misleading, as it implies intelligence and intent. It's actually any action on the superpostion that causes it to collapse.

That's why superpostion is so hard to maintain. Literally anything, energy, matter, random quantum fluctuations, can collapse it.

Where's my headache pills?

3. razorfishsl

It does not.....

It collapses to all possible answers, what you need to do is find the one possible solution, otherwise the result is just a mishmash of possible states.

1. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Right, so if I understand you correctly, a quantum computer is capable of instantly providing all of the answers to Life, The Universe and Everything. The hard part is building the bit tells you it's 42?

2. Pen-y-gors

<fx exploding brain>

3. Apriori

Google in a femtosecond? Not if BT Openreach are providing the "wet string to the fibre" connection.

2. Neoc

@ Pen-y-gors

Your brain is trying to achieve a state of understanding and non-understanding at the same time. Probably due to Quantum Weather Butterflies. Or something.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Joke

So it's time...

To mothball quantum computing ?

3. Valerion

I consider myself a fairly intelligent chap

Then I read about people who do this sort of thing, and realise that I am, in comparison, a complete gibbering idiot.

4. Swarthy
    Facepalm

Errmm...

El Reg published a (rather better written) article on this two days ago. Why are we getting a reprint from The Conversation - with a lower information content?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Joke

Re: Errmm...

Quantum decoherance?

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Tunneling?

2. John Savard

Well, this article was by Mohammad Choucair himself, one of the scientists who made this breakthrough.

5. Cynic_999
    Joke

Expensive

Mothballs are expensive because they are so small and difficult to collect.

1. Mark 85

Re: Expensive

You forgot that the moths also fight back...

2. channel extended
      Joke

Re: Expensive

Q:What do you have if you have a moth ball in your right hand and another moth ball in your left?

A: A damn big and ticked off moth.

6. Neoc
    Coat

And so,

we discover a new branch of mothematics.

Coat please!

7. John Brown (no body) Silver badge

Will this mothball powered quantum computer...

...be able to produce the Mothman Prophecies?

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

But

Will it run Crysis?

POST COMMENT House rules

Not a member of The Register? Create a new account here.

• Enter your comment

• Add an icon

Anonymous cowards cannot choose their icon

Other stories you might like