back to article Asus P6T Deluxe Intel Core i7 motherboard

Intel won’t be launching its new Core i7 'Nehalem' processors and X58 - aka - 'Tylersburg' - chipset until some time in November, so we’ve got to tread carefully with this preview of the Asus P6T Deluxe motherboard. Register Hardware has reported on both the processor and chipset - however, we can’t reveal processor performance …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Peter Kay

32bit OS on this board? Don't be daft..

Of course six memory slots is a good idea. Whilst you can run XP on this hardware, it's more suitable for running Vista x64 or a 64 bit Unix. As soon as that sort of market is targeted a minimum of 4GB (especially for Vista) becomes a very good idea.

Given that the maximum memory for 975, X38 and X48 chipsets is 8GB this needed to change. Run a couple of virtual machines, some heavy photoshopping or video editing and it's not that difficult to break the limit.

2. E

Perf Numbers

"We can’t give the game away about the performance of the P6T Deluxe - well, not for a couple of weeks, anyway"

Why not? Does the Reg sign NDAs?

Also, Leo is correct about RAM!

3. Brian Squibb
    Stop

Only 2GB?

I run Win2003 Enterprise (32bit) in 8GB at home. Makes a really good webserver/SQL server ..... and I dont have issues with 64bit drivers.

I love MSDN - really good value.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

@ E

"Why not? Does the Reg sign NDAs?"

Even if not, I assume they want to continue to receive review kit in the future... ;)

5. Anonymous Coward
    Go

2 GB in each of the 6 slots?

If I read it correctly, you can cram 2GB modules in each of the 6 slots. (six slots?!?)

Fitting 12GB on a desktop PC would be neat, I've heard of that amount of RAM in servers only. But won´t that force 64-bit OS presence, at least concerning memory management point of view? Honestly, I don´t have a clue on this one.

Yes, I´ve been under a rock in the last few months... SLI meeting crossfire sounds fun... and expensive to build on top of that mobo.

6. Peter Kay

Using over 4GB of RAM...

You can do it on 32bit operating systems, but you need to use PAE and will still lose chunks of your address space due to mapping PCI address space and video apertures.

It's a game for mugs : you have to use a server OS (on Windows), have PAE capable drivers (they frequently aren't - and if they're not your device will not work) and your apps have to be specially written to support larger memory (it isn't automatic most of the time).

On servers where a limited set of certified drivers are used there is no reason to use a 32bit OS, other than the hassle of reinstalling as 64bit. For consumer level hardware, the drivers won't support PAE anyway, so running a server OS is a bit daft.

64 bit operating systems just work. Certain consumer hardware manufacturers may like to pretend that they don't exist so that they avoid the driver writing hassle, and it is IME foolish to run Vista x64 in less than 4GB, but other than that things just work.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like