back to article Staff cut off in Evesham 'rescue' deal

British computer maker Evesham Technology laid off more than 100 staff late Friday, telling them the firm was in "administration". But the ultimate fate of the firm was unclear today, with the Evesham website apparently showing the Evesham brand is under new ownership. Evesham confirmed on 1 August that it was undergoing a " …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Ex employees/Friends DO NOT post comments here...

Go here for to view and post comments :

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2007/08/03/evesham_pcc_mohsan_rescue_package/comments/

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

No Surprise...............

That RA wouldn't comment - he has not had the decency to comment on anything up to now!

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Geemore presence on website?

Interestingly, I can see no mention of Geemore currently showing on the Evesham website when viewed from the UK (unless I am being blind - which is quite possible) nor can I see any mention of this on the About Evensham page.

4. S

Geemore?

What an awful name...

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Administration apparently

Having spoken to Channel Sales, apparently they are now (at least technically) in administration. All orders are frozen and nothing is going in or out.

There have been wholesale job losses (including our channel manager - an 8 year employee) although it would appear that far too many were laid off as some employees were re-hired this morning.

Evidentely there will be more news on this tomorrow - fingers crossed for anyone with anything tied up in this mess...

6. Mike Hartley

Another one bites the dust

Yet another sad day for British tech firms.... I've got fond memories of Evesham Technology dating back many many years - and I've used them a lot of the past couple of decades.

My sympathies to all the staff who've been screwed over.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

$22m rescue package - but the govt has to pay those out of work

I am one of the business sales team and have been told on Friday that the company cannot continue so we are all redundant. Having learned that Evesham is continuing due to a timely handout should have been good news for those that have got the chop - enough to pay for the 3 days worked in August we were promised by Richard himself and then enough to pay us for the 'consultation period' he should have given (90 days according to Acas). However the letter I received today from Leonard Curtis business rescue & recovery advises me to claim via the Government with 6 - 8 weeks likely payout time! Surely Richard should show some consideration for those who have given very loyal service - some as long as 20 years. I am sure he can afford it, just sell the Farrari he has bought in the last few weeks!

On a brighter note I have learned that the only 2 business sales guys to be offered to keep their post have got jobs elsewhere and wont be taking continued employment with ET.

8. Adam Brooker

Machine in for repair...

My company purchased a new machine from Evesham back in Nov 2006, which didn't actually work. They eventually built us a brand new machine, which has subsequently fallen over and was collected by Evesham two weeks ago for testing.

Something tells me that it's now in the back of a bailiff's van!

I spoke with their customer services this afternoon and asked to be put through to a manager. They flatly refused and told me the firm was in administration. In other words, all the middle management have been sacked along with the other staff.

If anybody reads this DO NOT buy a machine from Evesham. They are obviously going bust, not being "rescued".

9. Erlang Lacod

flooded with choices

Is this the firm that went bust after the town they were in was flooded with 8 feet of water ?

10. Chris Byers

Damm, I've just brough a telly from them!

I brought one of their quite mice Alquemi TVs a couple of months ago. I hope TimeUK will continue to honour warranties, although experience from Time in the past tells me they have a great deal of problems maintaining their own PCs before they went belly up last time!!

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A sudden decline...

The first we knew was at 5.30pm on friday the 3rd, when a balif appeared and told us the locks on our showroom were about to be changed...

We had no official notification at all, no support, and nobody to contact. I am now in debt and unemployed.

The last month saw a massive loss in showroom support, and I know that 25 of my personal customers have not had the systems they paid for, some orders date back to the end of June! This could not be as sudden event as it has been claimed... Basic stock was not ordered for about one month, the contract with our courier was not renewed, the accounts dept stopped taking many forms of payment two weeks ago and we were constantly told that everything was ok - it was just a possible takeover.

I'm am sick and angry over the way this was handled.

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Insolvent - not according to the Insolvency Service

I've been trying to get through to their technical support line to report my functionless LCD TV for ages- I just get cycled around on their cue system. They've ignored my emails too. I can understand why now.

I was told they had registered for insolvency by thier 'customer care line' but when I contacted the insolvency service, it had no record of them......

13. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

What happens to existing HCI users?

Through my employers I got a HCI system from Evesham which is on a 3 year lease until April 2008. Any idea what will happen to support & warranty? If we aren't going to get any do I/we have grounds for stopping our monthly HCI payments? I'd be quite happy to stop the contract and have someone come round to pick the PC up then I could buy a nice iMac!

14. Mr Burgess Taylor

Oh dear

I would say 'serves 'em right' after the apalling service I've had from them, though I'm sad for the staff and for my three year warranty (not that it was worth the paper it was written on)

Noticed yesterday that ASDA had piles of Evesham boxes, do you think someone ought to tell them ?

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The asda deal..

was done before this happened through the reseller channel.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Receivership

Been there. Been a part of a small company going under - blame the massive interest rates late 80s early 90s.

Basic life lesson: no jobs for life. So you get on your bike as Mr Tebbit famously said. In other words, go and get another job. It's what I did.

Maybe Mr Austin has done well out of Evesham over the years. Good for him. What do people think? You run a business for nothing? Building up a business is risky, sometimes ruinous, and invariably hugely time-consuming. Most don't survive. Also don't forget that Evesham has also employed loads of people over the years too.

This topic is closed for new posts.