back to article AMD teams with Intel chum on 40nm GPU shrink

AMD has announced two new graphics processors designed to provide DirectX 10.1 gaming and HD-video capability in low-power packages for laptops. The ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4830 and 4860 are the company's - and the world's - first processors manufactured on a 40nm process. And they're built in the fabs of TSMC, the Taiwanese …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Busted
    Coat

Lots of firsts

But still can't release some decent Linux drivers though :)

I'm off pass the tux please.

2. James O'Brien
    Flame

AMD/ATI = The Sux

Seriously who cares about their firsts? AMD/ATI have always been second rate when it comes to graphics. Drivers have always been iffy at best and the hardware may be on top for a short time. But in the end Nvidia always stomp them. Who cares about DX10.1 no real difference that I can tell between DX10 or 10.1 and yes I use both AMD and Nvidia chips. Stuff AMD/ATI I'll stick with good ol' Nvidia

3. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Unhappy

Not looking back.

After years of using ATi Radeon cards I got thoroughly sick of the increasingly buggy drivers last year and switched to nVidia. The stability is refreshing, the performance great, and I wouldn't be tempted back to ATi/AMD even if they managed to sell their graphics cards for half the cost of the nVidia equivalent. Whilst I rate AMD CPUs as top-notch, I really hope they get some AMD people sorting out the ATi part of the company, and fast!

4. David Halko
    Go

Wow!

Let's hope the ground breaking technology shows a significant performance advantage!

5. Gordon Crawford
    Flame

drivers

i still need drivers for 98 second edition

and linux

6. James
    Linux

Linux please

I agree we need proper good quality Linux drivers. the current ones are naff, they don’t work when you get round to doing anything that requires the graphics cards power..

Come on AMD send ATi some Linux geeks to sort this out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like