back to article Dell beefs up Precision portable workstation line

Dell is adding more power to its high-end line of mobile workstations with the debut of the Precision M6300, a 17" notebook geared at engineers, developers, video editors and others who need to tote around some serious silicon. Celebrating its 10th anniversary in workstation marketplace, Dell is aiming for the system as not so …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Extra fire power?

Nice machine, nice specs but will it burst in to flames on my lap? Mmmaybe.....

2. David

Ah yes...

but does it run Linux?

3. bill

RedHat Linux 5.1 Woo Hoo!

I Recall using RedHat 5.1. 1998 was the year. I hope it will run on that cool dell Hardware. Speaking of which, I hope Dell knows how to harden something that is almost 10 years old.

All that aside, it would run Debian and Solaris for me anyway. Good Job Dell!

Step Into a time warp. Lookie here... http://www.geek.com/hwswrev/rhlinx51.htm

:)

4. Alain

That's Red Hat Enteprise, buddy

I can't recall using the (then free) Red Hat Linux 5.1, at that time I was (and still am) a big Slackware fan.

Anyway they're obviously referring to the paid-for distribution. Last time I've checked the latest version was 5.0.

This notebook is big iron. I woudn't like having to carry its bag on my shoulder though.

DELL has a long way to go to (re-)gain a trustable name in notebooks IMHO. Their boxes aren't especially reliable these days (used to be).

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Re: Ah yes...

Guess you didn't read the article.......

"RedHat Linux 5.1 will be available on the system in October."

6. sleepy

But still no dual link DVI?

(Needed for large screen use)

HP now sells nearly 3 times as many notebooks as Dell. Even Apple sells more. It seems suppliers no longer give Dell everything they ask for.

http://www.notebookreview.com/default.asp?newsID=3926

7. Jay

RH Vs RHEL

I suspect Dell meant to say Red Hat Enterprise Linux (RHEL) and not Red Hat Linux. The former will have 5.1 out in October and the latter had 5.1 way back in May 1998 (according to the ever reliable WikiP types).

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Light as a Feather

"It's not exactly light, but Dell expects to see customers take it with them every where they go to work."

And I've spent the last 2 days lugging my M90 around London complete with the insanely large powerpack...

oww oww oww....

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Light as a Feather

"It's not exactly light, but Dell expects to see customers take it with them every where they go to work."

And I've spent the last 2 days lugging my M90 around London complete with the insanely large powerpack...

oww oww oww....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like