back to article Intel schedules quad-core mobile CPUs for H2 '08

Intel looks set to release a quad-core microprocessor for notebooks at long last, but you're not likely to get your hands on a laptop containing the chip for the best part of a year. Unsurprisingly, the mobile quad-core is based on Intel's 45nm chip design, 'Penryn'. Intel has admitted as much in the past, and said that four- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Luther Blissett

Haha Montevina

Gotta love these names - Centrino, Montevina. Of course, they won't mean much unless you know enough Italian to deconstruct them.

And after Montevina, it can only be... Piovoro. Shame on you for teasing AMD so.

2. Nexox Enigma

Quad in a laptop?

Is it just me, or is a quad core cpu overkill for almost any consumer application? And in a laptop? Who needs that kind of multithreading capability in a portable (If you consider those 5+kg 'laptops' to be all that portable) device? Just get yourself a desktop if you've got an application that really needs 4 cores.

3. Juhani Vehvilainen

Re: Quad in a laptop?

I guess even dual-core is overkill if you're running Windows but luckily for Intel they're no longer (completely) limited by Microsoft's capabilities when it comes to developing operating systems and applications that can actually make use of advances like multi-thread/core CPUs. I for one would quite like an affordable quiet small form factor quad-core to drive my 1080p TV set... and for OS I'll settle for OS X (Solaris would be a contender were it not for lack of relevant and polished applications).

4. Ammaross

Re: Quad in a laptop

3 cores for vista (assuming M$ knows how to thread their OS...) and 1 for the rest of your apps.

5. Dragos Vingarzan

Re: Quad in a laptop?

Well, for me the use of the laptop is different now. I no longer have a workstation at work because that is simply too loud, big and ultimately syncing with my mobile devices takes some resources. Nor do I need anymore a separate windows box for nasty office stuff. I only have a T60p which is used for development, testing and application benchmarking at work - all under Linux of course. Being a Core 2 Duo, Win XP in VMWare is incredibly responsive, so I can also do all my nasty powerpoint duties on the same machine. But of course, I always have the e-mail with me and when I don't need all the extra power, I can turn-off a core and have longer battery life while on the road or at home. In the end, no need to sync between multiple computers, so my life is much easier.

What I am saying is that these fast new CPUs for me changed the way that I use computers, as now I can do all on the same machine. I can't wait for the quads!

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like