back to article HP busts out fall PC lineup

The fall PC buying season kicks off for Hewlett-Packard today as the company launches a bunch of new consumer and corporate notebooks as well as two desktop PCs aimed at businesses, a refreshed netbook, an all-in-one PC, and a beefier media server for the home market. The notebooks and netbooks also sport new and classier- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Roni Leben
    Thumb Down

Please list actual screen resolutions next time!

I hate it how computer manufactures started obscuring technical details a few years back.

Reg, you are supposed to be IT / technical, not just yellow print mag. Next time please dig up & list actual screen resolutions or at least standard acronyms (like WXGA, WSXGA, WSGXA, etc.), not vague marketing terms like "13.3 high-def" or "HD resolution"

I did some of the digging for you:

The Mini 311 (or Compaq 311c) as reported many times before will sport 11.6" WXGA screen with 1366x768 pixels - capable of showing the 720p variety of HD (1280x720) (so, this is your "HD resolution")

Envy 15 is supposedly also 1366x768 on 15.6", but "full HD" is also mentioned. The standard WUXGA is 1920x1200, but this is different aspect ratio... So 15.6" 1920x1080 LCD maybe (one model is called 1080ea)? Or only 1600x900, which does not support native Full HD...

What is "Full High Definition LED HP Ultra BrightView Widescreen Display" anyway? Why can't they simply list the actual resolution?

ProBook 5310m: What the is "13.3 high-def LED"? One site lists the specs as 1366x768. This is no high-def, this is standard WXGA! Lenovo packs 1440x900 on 13.3" screen in X300/X301. 1600x900 on 13" would be hi-def...

When 15.4" WSXGA+ (1680x1050) and even WUXGA (1920x1200) laptop screens have been around since 2003, we are now supposed to believe 1366x768 on 15.6" is high def? Come on!

2. Anton Ivanov
    Thumb Down

120dpi+ fonts needed yet again

Crazy resolutions for fairly low size screens. While it may make some difference watching HD (which I doubt, screens are just too small) it is definitely a pain when using it for work. You either have to adjust fonts individually all over the place or adjust the DPI globally (if your OS allows it).

3. SynnerCal

We get ripped off again...

The article talks of the artificial gravity field that's used for spec-ing laptops - fine, but what about the distortion field mid-Atlantic that hits the prices.

E.g. the Mini 311 is quoted at a (reasonable?) US$399. Now a quick trip to Google (etc) says that this _should_ be about UK£240. I'm willing to bet a large chunk of change that the final UK price is probably about £399 (which is about US$660 - which is one helluva markup for 'localisation', shipping, etc - ahem!)

This is a bl**dy shame because the spec and 'pack shots' for the Mini 311 looks quite good ("Window7 only" be damned - anyone care to bet against that there's a few of these in HP labs already running UNR9.04 [Linux]?) and at £240 I'd hit my credit card to get one, but any more than £300 for a netbook is just silly money. In which case my rattly old Acer Aspire One will have to soldier on for a bit longer.

sigh

4. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Nice notebook

Wow, the new Envy looks so sleek, probably my next notebook.

5. Hombre sin nombre
    FAIL

HP sells MacBook Pro copy

For more than a macbook pro.

6. Nano nano
    Coat

"The fall PC buying season"

And nobody asked Mark E Smith ?

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Business laptops for mobile users

We're in the construction sector and we used to love our HP business laptops. However over the last year the business laptop range has become increasingly shiny/glossy/scratch-magnet. What use is this to people who are out & about with laptops?

Shiny & glossy is fine if you're all about style/image. For people actually using laptops (particularly in semi-outdoor industries where a proper ruggedised laptop is overkill), give us a basic business laptop with a matte finish, matte screen, robust keyboard and a modem. HP, if you're listening, please bring back the HP6715s or something like it.

Any recommendations for something suitable around the £500 price point?

8. jon 72
    FAIL

Flawed Designs - again

Whining about screen resolutions is going to be least thing

I predict many a disgruntled owner discovering that..

"the practice of opening and closing the lid holding it by the corner can crack the screen"

Source HP customer services

If I sound slighty bitter it is because my screen failed the first time I opened the damm thing after taking it out of the box and turned it on. Remember they (HP) will not fix damage that occurs through 'normal use' even under warranty.

For those that want to do some math the cost of getting a screen replaced is around £175 and the laptop is worth.. yeah.. scary economics is it not?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like