back to article Dedupe start-up GreenBytes gets green light

Start-up GreenBytes has announced its GB-X products that deduplicate primary data, both NAS and iSCSI SAN, and which are based on an enhanced ZFS file system. GreenBytes was founded in 2007 by a Robert Petrocelli. He previously founded Heartlab, a Rhode Island-based health-care IT business. This was sold for $132.5m in 2005 to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

'Only iSCSI de-duper in the world' Really?

Looks like an interesting alternative. It'll be interesting to see how it scales out and it's costs as compared to NetApp etc. Data Domain is more aimed at NAS based backup storage, so isn't quite as comparable.

As for the sub title, well, NetApp has been able to de-dup iSCSI (or FC) LUNs for some time - as well as CIFS and NFS - so this isn't really the only iSCSI de-duper in the world.

Still, nice to see alternatives broaden the market.

2. Chris Mellor 1

Not the only iSCSI deduper plus value point

Sent to me and posted ananymously:

I'm not sure about the title: "Only iSCSI de-duper in the world" when other vendors including NetApp have primary de-duplication of iSCSI. Maybe I'm missing something though?

> they will probably turn out to represent better value for money on acquisition price and ownership cost bases than existing mainstream storage array vendors' products

I think this depends on how you define value for money. Some customers want the absolute cheapest product they can get so roll their own using parts and OSS. I'd contend that a roll-your-own solution would be better value for money in the acquisition stakes, as long as replacement spare parts are easy to obtain.

On the other hand most customers want advanced array features, proven implementation methodologies, application integration and the rest. For that definition of value it's likely that the mainstream vendors are going to offer better value as they'll have a broader software portfolio.

Chris.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

The only in-line SCSI deduper

Netapp does not provide inline (real-time) iSCSI deduplication, GreenBytes does...

This topic is closed for new posts.