back to article Dell chalks up tablet PC

For many years tablet PCs have been the Next Big Thing. Few consumers have noticed. Will this change in 2010? Microsoft has already unveiled three co-developed prototype slates this week, and world+dog expects Apple to announce a tablet at the end of the month. Now it’s Dell’s turn. dell_slate_02 Dell's slate runs the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. the spectacularly refined chap

Wonderful

Shiny high gloss screens that show every single fingerprint are _really_ practical for touch screen based devices...

1. jai

shiny

yes because everyone's noticed how fingerprints are SUCH a problem for iPhone screens and it's crippled sales of the device hasn't it??

presumably you've never used any device with a shiny black screen even though you feel the need to disparage them, but when there's a bright light behind the screen, you won't see the fingerprints on the front. and when it's powered off, you're not looking at the thing anyway so who cares

if you're THAT vain that you have to check your reflection in the screen every 10 seconds then buy a small mirror you freak!

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

why am i

thinking Dom Jolly <sp?> 'HELLO, YES I AM AT CES, NO CRAP - ITS NOTHING BUT SLATES'

and if you are American and dont get this - i dont care

3. Spanners Silver badge
    Linux

Pretty obvious

If I can put Skype on it, it is a phone.

1. jai

hello? hello?

only if that is a microphone in the bottom right corner of the screen

4. Sarev
    Thumb Down

Reflection

Am I the only one getting bored shitless at that hideous diagonal highlight that they all really need to Photoshop onto the screen in product shots? This one was particularly poorly executed.

5. Tony Paulazzo

Tablets & 3DTV

Do these companies actually talk to real people any more?

Tablets appear to be under performing over priced gimmicks to part money from fools. I'm sorry, but I want the tablet from Star Trek: tng - a full featured computer light enough to hold in one hand, with OLED screen, a days worth of battery, SSD and 'proper' voice recognition - what do we get? a web surfing, crap ereader that plays hidef film on a 9in screen and offers 5 (yea right) hours battery life if you dim the screen to 20% and turn off wireless.

The same for 3DTV, it's great in the cinema, 2 hours of glass wearing, visual and aural splendour. It seems to be a great way of curbing casual piracy, feeling like you had an experience and enjoy a few hours out - and getting bums on seats; but Loose Women, in glass wearing stereoscopy, really?

6. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

fanboi attack

Can i be the firs to say, or to predict:

"I dont belive it what complete lamers cant they have an original idea of their own!?

Its obviously a poorly designed and not as cool as the as yet unconfirmed and unreleased apple iSplot "

The fact people have been designing slim flat portable computing devices for decades will be lost on the fanbois and in 3-6 months time, it will be Apples divine jobsian inspiration and paradigm shifting implementaiton... blah blah blah did I mention the Newton?

why are there no evil apple/hobs icons?

Paris, as she has seen it all before as well....

7. The BigYin
    Unhappy

Android?

One wonders how long that will last. Dells last foray into non-MS OSs was beaten down hard by MS (you cans till find them, in the basement behind the sign saying "Beware of the leopard").

I applaud Dell for trying to break the shackles of MS, but I can't see them being allowed to get away with it. Shame really, innovation and competition is what this homogeneous IT market needs.

8. Nicholas Smith

Colour me interested

I'm actually quite interested in this, I want an ebook reader but I'm loathe to pay £200 for one (more if I get the one I want, the Nook). This could fit a nice niche for me, between the on the go usability of my iPhone and the 'work' environment of my Macbook. Something for me to read eBooks on, use for browsing the internet whilst in the kitchen,

Yeah I'm impressed, lets hope Dell don't screw it up with a ridiculous price or hardware that feels like it's going to disintegrate in my hands.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like