back to article Say hello to Maxell-branded hard drives

Hitachi Maxell is turning itself into an external hard drive supplier with a GEN branded line of products. Maxell is best known for supplying batteries and storage media. It's now extending its brand to cover USB-connected hard drives for the SOHO and consumer markets. The loss-making Maxell company was a partially-owned …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

My Title

"Maxell is best known for supplying batteries and storage media"

By storage media you mean Compact Casettes and Video Tapes. I didn't know they are still going!

Age Check:

Maxell - Break the Sound <blank>

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

I remember...

...the adverts where the tapes were promoted by a skeleton from the mature generation. They were among the worst audio tapes I'd ever used. The last thing I want is for my data to go the way of their mascot.

1. Kevin 6
      FAIL

same

but with their CD's. Worst ones I've used. The sheer amount of coasters that were burnt was ludicrous, I had better results with the 10 cent bulk CD's than maxell's(they were around $1 a disk at the time). Also had to chuck the rest of the Maxells that did burn right after 3 years seeing the data started getting corrupt and put them on new cd's.

1. markp 1
        FAIL

it's a shame really

Their videos were alright, and in the early days (welll.... I mean early 2000s anyway) their CDRs were about the most reliable I could find.

Unfortunately at some point some bean counter decided to go for a cheaper wholesale supplier and they all become crap :( ..... and giving them a second chance recently, their DVDRs turned out to be a pile of rubbish too. Some didn't even burn successfully and about 70% proved to have errors in post-burn tests that meant I either had to re-burn some files or bin the entire disk. I tried all speeds from 4 thru 16x after first noticing, too, and in a couple of usually reliable drives.

I can agree with the audio tapes too - I think a bright orange Maxell that a friend gave me in school is about the worst cassette in my collection, even when I tried to re-record the contents after liking the muffed versions enough to buy the CDs... and this collection includes copies of Monty Python LPs that my dad made on cheap-as-chips secondhand tapes in the late 70s.

Let's hope that the Hitachi side of the business shows through more in the disks than the Maxell one.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

tag line

brilliant ... and I think the news may be making my ears burn as well!

4. Kevin Murray

Skeleton advert

Wasn't the skeleton used in adverts for Scotch video tapes, rather than Maxell?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Pirate

Scotch...

're-record not fade away' wasn't it?

what did that mean? leave it and it'll fade away so just record over it??

Anyway haven't this lot been dragged up in front of the MPAA yet? if not how come???

2. geekguy
      FAIL

skeleton

Yes the skeleton was scotch

5. Simon Preston

Scotch

Yup. The skeleton was Scotch's advert.Used to give me nightmares as a kid!

"Re-record, not fade away."

6. Martin 19
    Boffin

Maxell advert

the Maxell tape advert was the "Me ears are alight" one with the Dylan-style card dropping

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XEe0qqPAC6E

7. Mr_Pitiful
    Go

Telford?

Are they still in Telford

I fixed their phone system a few years ago

8. adam payne
    Alert

Run for the hills

I used to use Maxell DVD-Rs until I had 40 disks out of a 50 cake tin faulty. Never again!

Possibly the new IBM Deathstar?!?

9. cmaurand

I've had lots of Hitachi hard drives

And have had a 100% failure rate (for the IBM versions of the drives, too.) Its any wonder they're losing money. I won't buy another one.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like