back to article AMD tempts gamers with multi-monitor Eye candy

AMD has announced a new graphics card that can fill six displays with over one billion pixels per second to provide what the company unblushingly claims to be "the ultimate in entertainment and productivity". The Wednesday announcement of the expansively named ATI Radeon HD 5870 Eyefinity 6 Edition notes that users of the card …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Aristotles slow and dimwitted horse
    Thumb Up

Cool...

One display per eye.

2. Paul_Murphy
    Joke

Ha ha - April Fool

Well done - I look forward to the 'x2' version with support for 12 monitors.

Wow - you lot start early don't you?

ttfn

3. Paul_Murphy
    Joke

Ha ha - April Fool

Who needs 6 monitors? it's a silly idea.

Well done - I look forward to the 'x2' version with support for 12 monitors.

Wow - you lot start early don't you?

ttfn

1. Andraž 'ruskie' Levstik

In case you missed it...

Pratchett does... go watch his Alzheimers documentary. he has a nice rig of 6 displays 2x3 layout.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

sounds good

but can i run 2 of them for 12 monitors of goodness?

5. SoCal

Already showing up on Newegg.....

Newegg has it listed with "auto-notify" status at $599. It's the Gigabyte version of this card.

6. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

availability

"Pricing and availability were not included in today's announcement, and AMD did not immediately respond to our requests for any hint as to when the Eyefinity 6 might be available and how much it might set you back"

Check most good etailers, had them in stock since yesterday

7. karl 15
    FAIL

FIX THE 5870 GSOD PROBLEM FIRST

AMD/ATI needs to stop publicity stunts like this, and fix the 5870 first!.

The Internet/amd forums are FULL of buyers with 5870 line, crash, lockups, GSOD, and more than two monitors flicker and corrupt.

and NO, 10.3 HAS NOT FIXED THE PROBLEM

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=124747&STARTPAGE=90&FTVAR_FORUMVIEWTMP=Linear

As for when the new card will be available, they are in the shops now, and are £439.99.

i have one, and no AMD have not fixed the line problem or multi monitor problem in this card either.

In COD 6 i got 60 fps, but with 3 monitors, its down to 16, so if you want to run 6 monitors, you will need 3 cards, or 2 for 3 monitors.

AMD are just making cards for reviews, shows, and to take publicity away form the Nvidia 480 water boiler.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

title

I wish everybody would stop saying "ecosystem".

9. Sir Runcible Spoon

Sir

I bet they just stuck a couple of TH2GO boxes together along with a standard graph card and added a zero to th eprice :)

And wouldn't you need some kind of nuclear powered cooling system?

10. TeeCee Gold badge

"...how much it might set you back."

Doesn't really matter. If you can run to lashing out on six decent matching monitors and a proper mounting system for them to go with it, the card'll be pocket change.

11. asdf
    FAIL

Hector Ruiz curse strikes again

Boy nothing screwed over ATI like catching the eye of that tool Mr. Ruiz. They still haven't fully recovered from being AMDized (you know selling inferior kit for bargain prices). Hopefully this all behind them and we are seeing them become bleeding edge again.

12. Shane Menshik
    Thumb Up

It's alive!

$500 at newegg

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161336&cm_re=ATI_Radeon_HD_5870-_-14-161-336-_-Product

13. tony trolle
    Troll

but will it run with XP

or win 98

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like