back to article Carousel fraudsters must pay back £92m

Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs is demanding two convicted carousel fraudsters pay back £92m in cash, cars and properties or face an extra ten years in prison. The gang of 21 were sentenced to a total of 74 years in May. They ran a massive missing trader or carousel fraud importing computer chips from Ireland VAT-free and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Jason Bloomberg Silver badge

Tough one ...

Ten years in prison or cough up £46 million.

I think a quick survey would show most people willing to give up ten years of liberty for £46 million.

2. the bat
    Alien

I guess they're from a long of pIrAtes

I guess they're from a long of pIrAtes

3. lglethal Silver badge
    WTF?

Sorry i missed something here...

You say the fraud netted them £37.5 million, HMRC have already reclaimed ~£87 million and there now demanding another £92.3 million?

Are you sure have the numbers right?

4. Stefing

Hmm

10 years (ie parole in 3) for £92 million - I'd go for that, wouldn't you?

5. Anonymous Coward
    WTF?

difference?

if they stole £37.5 million why do they have to repay £92m??

6. Justicesays
    Boffin

Seems like alot

So, they stole £37.2m

The police have already seized assets worth > £88.5m

The two main criminals have to "re-pay" £92.3m

So, its not very clear, does the £88.5m already seized count towards that ?

How did £37.2m turn into > £88.5m from the criminals end? Really good investment strategy? Can we put them in charge of HSBC?

How did £37.2m turn into £92.3m from the police end? Proceeds of crime including interest etc? Legal/investigation costs?

7. Flocke Kroes Silver badge

Crime pays

The seven year sentence pays £6.5M/year. Increasing it to 17 years is still £2.7/year. With no expenses and a decent rate of interest, they should be able to double their money by the time their new sentences finish. The only deal that will really work to tell the they stay in prison until they pay up.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

cost/benefit analysis

£92m for ten years, so that's £9.2m a year.

OK, so it's between the pair of them, so it's 'only' £4.6m a year. Even over the whole 17 year stretch it's a pretty good £2.7m a year.

If they do the time do they get to keep the cash? Do they have to declare it as income?

9. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

Erm.

So an extra 10 years, of which obviously only 5 will be served = 5 years extra sentence for keeping £92 million?

I'm sure that prison kinda sucks, but I'd be more than happy to try it for 5 years in return for £92million.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Black Helicopters

Tut tut tit

Only MPs can get away with fraud on this scale.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like