back to article Maude talks cost cutting with ICT suppliers

A group of prime government ICT suppliers has met Cabinet Office Minister Francis Maude to discuss plans for cost cutting. A spokesperson for the Office of Government Commerce told GC News that on 8 July 2010 19 major public sector ICT suppliers were involved in "an initial meeting to discuss how money can be saved from the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Tron Silver badge

What a good idea.

How do we do that? Because there's a few utility bills I'd like to renegotiate, and then there's the credit card interest rate that (mysteriously) didn't drop AT ALL during the entire credit crunch, but creeps up the moment base rates increase.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

The company I work for...

keeps outsourcing work. They want to break the union and get cheaper labour. The problem is that in hiring cheaper labour they get people who couldn't care less about performance or the customer's experience and because the people they hire barely, or rather don't make a living wage, they soon lose all interest in doing a good job. So, they have to hire many more people to do the same work. These new hires are all on contract, of course, so most of them are replaced every six months, greatly increasing training cost and cutting productivity. Especially, when the new folks start as the union employees have to hold their hands while they up to speed.

The above MUST be a far more efficient method tor business as this is becoming a general practice across business. Of course, if all business have a terrible customer experience then that becomes the norm and is what's expected.

I think we'll see many large businesses fail as smaller businesses rediscover that paying good employees a good wage and giving customers a good/great experience pays very well. (This is my hope. Not holding my breath though)

3. mhenriday

How about dropping Windows and Office

and saving those enormous licensing costs ? But for some reason, I doubt that a serious investigation of the feasibility of doing so is on the Tory agenda....

Henri

This topic is closed for new posts.