back to article Oracle pledges MySQL community love

Oracle has promised to continue developing the community edition of MySQL. But you'd better like the architecture and customers that Oracle is targeting. On Sunday, the database giant's chief architect, Edward Screven, committed Oracle to making not only the enterprise edition of MySQL better but also the community version …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Here Is The Version Without Legal Exposure

sudo apt-get install postgresql

1. Thom Brown
      Happy

Re: Here Is The Version Without Legal Exposure

And the big PostgreSQL version 9.0 is being released today ;)

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Postgres could turn into patent mess

BSD license doesn't give any patent grant. Not even implied. Someone could contribute patented feature today, only to sue tomorrow. There is a reason why nobody use PostgreSQL even though it was around forever.

MySQL is safe under GPL as well as Drizzle and MariaDB. Also, Ingres is getting VectoWise stuff opensourcred under GPL.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Grenade

Yeah right...

...and for those of with half a brain, see MariaDB, a compatible MySQL clone.

3. uninventiveheart
    Grenade

I call bullshit.

Funny that all of these changes are going into Enterprise Edition.

I expect next years' headline to echo what happened to OpenSolaris. Prepare to watch a bunch of websites to go to PostgreSQL, or some other answer. The gravy train is over.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Postgres Has Python Stored Procedures

..no need to learn Yet Another Language Of Larry (YALL), as is the case with MySQL.

5. dingo

Hard to believe.

Oracle only interest in MySQL so far has been the enterprise edition which happens to be payware. So I am just migrating my GPL MySQL servers to Postgres because I do not see any reason to believe Larry or Edward

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like