back to article Oracle array users skid off 7410 road map

A European Oracle 7410 array user has been told no more upgrades are possible after the end of the month - despite the fact that he only bought the 7410 this year. Oracle upgraded its 7000 open unified storage line last month. The products use ZFS. The existing 7110, 7310 and 7410 products were replaced by 7120, 7320 and 7420 …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Sounds like it's time, past time, for...

enterprise software users to start contributing to a variety of open source projects. That is the only way that they will have multiple, viable alternatives to this type of vendor lock in. In fact, this company's IT department sound now be looking at any open source alternative to see if they can make it fit this company's needs. What is the cost of re-training some IT guys and hiring a programmer, if needed, versus paying Oracle twice in one or two years for hardware plus software licensing costs?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Why is a title required for a reply?????

>What is the cost of re-training some IT guys and hiring a programmer, if needed, versus paying

>Oracle twice in one or two years for hardware plus software licensing costs?

Probably your job when it goes tits-up and the programmer is off on holiday........

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Software?

Last time I looked, disk arrays like the 7410 were hardware...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Software?

Yes they are and of course, hardware just works without any form of software doesn't it?

You can take a pile of disks, attach them to a backplane and they'll just work as they know how to form RAID groups, mapping LUNs to host hbas.... etc etc - that all happens by magic.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Typical Sun (now Oracle)

When it was Sun, they did the same kind of stuff. You'd buy something big, it would deprecated QUICKLY and they'd force you to buy the next big thing.

With that said, I think that Oracle hates bad publicity... so if they regard this as being too well read... they'll probably end up giving you (gratis) the next version of the unit... or somehow make everything "ok" by some other means.

But... Oracle isn't known for their friendliness... so we'll see.

3. Matt Banks
    FAIL

The product has a definite EOL date...

It looks like the j4400 trays have an EOL date of Dec 15, 2010.

I'm starting to think that Oracle will run their shiny new hardware business into the ground. And FAST.

I guess that's what you get for getting a "cheap NetApp." You don't get the option of expanding after your initial purchase. Nice.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Don't hold your breath

"That was on Friday. As of Monday, we have not yet been given any response to these questions"

We have been waiting 12-18 months for replies/bug fixes for this system, so I hardly think they are in a hurry to answer anyone :(

For example, the 'mv' command is broken between two exports, more so under SOLARIS where it just doesn't work, while under LInux it complains but actually moves the file! Rather than fixing it, they suggest you work around it - as if you can be bothered to fix scripts, etc, everywhere.

@Matt Banks - Comparing with NetApp here is not totally realistic, for what you pay them to get some of the standard features (CIFS, NFS, iSCSI, de-dupe, snapshots), you could buy two amber road boxes!

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Really?

Works fine on my 7000s......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Really?

http://opensolaris.org/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=378539

Applies to the 7410 series as they also have the extended attributes.

Ironically, I think OpenSOLARIS (the one killed by Oracle's behaviour post-takeover) fixes this, but no official support of course...

5. D-Timmy
    Happy

The sky isn't falling in, might be more options if you hunt around.

Hi,

The existing J4400 bundle parts are going EOL in December but they have introduced spare parts including a chassis so you can likely build your own, these parts are not showing EOL and the important chassis part is showing on the new OPN price list so hopefully should be around for a while.

Would the new disk shelves they have introduced for the SAS-2 update on the 7310 / 7410 be compatiable but just not run at full speed as another option? (these are still current on the pricelists).

Can you expand your non SAS-2 based 7310 / 7410 with the new disk shelves by just fitting the SAS-2 PCIE card option that comes in the SAS-2 7310 / 7410? SG-XPCIESAS-GEN2-Z is an available X-option.

How likely is it that the the base server H/W (X4140 / X4440) is exactly the same just with the GEN2 SAS controller....

I would think there are still avenues out there.

D-Timmy.

6. This post has been deleted by its author

7. Rex Alfie Lee
    Alert

We're paying back for Sun...

We can't pay back the bill without a few users dumped by the wayside. However, once we've paid that bill we'll make you an honorary "Sucker of Oracle" for a whole year. How about that?

PS: Reg, we need some good & evil Larry Ellison & Steve Jobs icons...

8. Anonymous Coward
    Thumb Down

This is old(ish) news

They end-of-lifed the big Storage 7210 and J4500 array almost as soon as they took over Sun, even though their x4540 sibling (which shares a chassis with the 7210) is still available. Poor show, Oracle.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Welcome

Pricing looks sweet

Unlike Netapp, Oracle doesn't charge to license every individual feature. The product looks to compete well next to Netapp, EMC and BlueArc and at a good discount. Still, some could argue it lags behind other solutions out there, like XIV, 3Par, Panasas and Isilon, but for the price, the 7x20 series should be very successful in this market space.

Pricing:

http://webconfig.sun.com/ModelComparison.htm?installCountry=US&category=Disk+Storage&pGroup=

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like