back to article Intel shakes off $1bn chipset flaw

How much did a little design flaw in one metal layer on the Cougar Point Intel 6 chipset used with Sandy Bridge Core i5 and i7 chips cost Intel? A cool $1bn, that's how much. And in a conference call with Wall Street analysts on Monday, Intel's two Smiths – Stacey Smith, Intel's chief financial officer, and Steve Smith, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Happy

Paging major Major Major.

Even if I hadn't been interested in the QA or lack-there-of, I would still have read to the end to find out how the Smith's turned out.

2. DavidRa
    WTF?

Pentium 5?

FTA: This Cougar Point SATA I/O flaw does not seem to be as serious as Intel's infamous June 1994 floating-point math flaw, discovered in its Pentium 5 and not confirmed to customers until five months later after news of the bug broke in the press. That bug caused Intel a PR nightmare and a $500m charge.

I remember the bug ... but I don't remember me no Pentium 5. Man that caused heartache for us (I was working at a Uni supporting people doing mathematical modelling - we were directly affected). But it was a Pentium (meaning 5th) which followed the 286, 386 and 486 chips. It would have been the 586 but Intel had been told they couldn't protect the numbers as names, and thus we had had the AMD 386, 486 etc. directly competing with the Intel parts.

And Intel just couldn't take it :)

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"the legacy 3Gb/sec SATA ports"

You know, when a goodly chunk of the world isn't even using 1.5Gb/s SATA yet, already calling the not-quite-bleeding-edge-latest SATA implementation "legacy" shows typical marketeering arrogance. Now, we've known for years that marketeering does stupid things like that, but that's no reason to blindly copy the press release-ese. The problem isn't in the technology --after all, next week there'll be a newer, faster version of the same old anyway-- but the part that irks is the senseless cheapening of the term "legacy". Just like if someone says "guaranteed" you have to ask "that's nice, but what is it that guarantee of yours really worth?", "legacy" really is not a valid synonym for "you're not dancing on the bleeding edge, you total doofus".

Yes, this is pedantic. Even so. I'm not reading this rag because I like press releases and their word salad verbiage so much. El Reg hacks, do take note.

4. Flybert

what about a desktop

built with a Sandy Bridge i5 quad and Intel motherboard last week ?

you only mention OEM and laptops ... ??

5. ben_myers
    FAIL

The chipset flaw is in which Cougar Point chips?

For crissake, if there is a flaw in MY Cougar Point chip, I would like to find out about it!!!!

Did Intel issue or will Intel issue a diagnostic that identifies the flawed chips? Given that Intel is so rigorous about steppings, sSpecs and other identifying information, the least they could do is enable us to check all our computers for the presence of defective chips, without doing a complete teardown of a system, of course!!!!!

... Ben

1. Roger Heathcote 1
      Unhappy

Sorry...

It affects both the P67 and the H67 chipsets, as far as I am aware these are the only chipsets that support Sandy Bridge / LGA1155 chips so yes, you are affected, sorry to be the bearer of bad news :/

Roger

6. Mage Silver badge
    Coat

I'm leaving quickly.

I like to not be a Pioneer of the Bleeding Edge.

It's unpleasant though watching who gets arrows in the back...

7. TKW

Erratum

"... Opteron was delayed for six months because of an error in a table lookaside buffer (TLB) on the chips..."

Thanks for trying to explain the TLA, but it's actually a transaction lookaside buffer.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like