back to article Asus to launch desktop Eee PC next year

Asustek is developing a desktop version of its ultra-compact Linux-based laptop, the Eee PC, the company's marketing chief has said. It wants to get the mini machine into shops sometime next year. Jonathan Tseng, Asus' President of Marketing, told Taiwanese site Digitimes that the desktop will not incorporate a display. So …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

Article Illustration

Helps give us an idea of the form factor for such a desktop machine tagging the article with a picture of a blonde in a low cut top using a laptop.

2. Giles Jones Gold badge

Onto a winner if....

If they make it small enough and robust enough to allow a TFT monitor to rest on top of it.

It will be hard to build a smaller unit than a Mac Mini. These already must hold the crown for the best size to power ratio? especially with the new Core2 duo versions.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Paris Hilton

New icon please

since you've now illustrated stories with this picture 6 times, can we have it as a new icon, so we can write 'What's the Asus model angle on this story?' comments.

4. Tim Greenwood

True, but..

I'm not complaining.

5. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Want one!

...and those desktop versions of the eee PC sound nice too. I'm already planning to replace my media playing PC (with a projector for a display - currently a slightly awkwardly poised Shuttle XPC), my file and print server and my proxy with eee PCs. Low power consumption, not many moving parts, physically small and amply powerful for all my purposes. Not sure if I can wait for desktops though.

I can't remember the last time I upgraded a machine (apart from adding disks, which is easy done with USB, and RAM, which I do rarely). Low-cost, quiet, convenient boxes like these would definitely do almost everything that I do with my machines better than the noisy, hungry PCs I use at the moment (apart from software development; I'll hang on to my more powerful workstation for that).

It really surprises me that I'm so enthusiastic about these machines, but I've been moaning for months or years that nobody seems to want to produce a cheap, low-spec but dependable machine these days, so ever since the eee PC I've actually become a fan of a piece of hardware for the first time since the Psion 5mx!

6. Rob

Full circle

So we're back to the Atari and Amiga form factor days then?

Old hat, new lining?

7. Timothy Slade
    Paris Hilton

I agree

with anonymous paris hilton fan number 2.

blonde in swimwear --> desktop model --> fnar fnar.

8. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Disappointed...

I saw the top of the picture and I was expecting a photoshopped desktop added in.

C- : Must try harder.

9. TeeCee Gold badge
    Coat

Money saving tip for Asus.

Let's see, so the laptop Eeeeeeeeee already has the necessary ports and the proposed desktop will probably use laptop components.

Run one production line. Make only the laptop version. Glue the lid shut on the "desktop" variant. Charge for the glue.

10. Anonymous Coward
    Pirate

SOM

Same old model - still has the cellulite.

11. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Pray for room for 2 disks

For a RAID setup. No other reason to prefer a desktop over a laptop is there? Talking 'bout PCs here, not Ugandan discussions with models.

12. david Silver badge

Always liked the Book PC

Always liked the Book PC form factor, which Taiwan hoped would be the next big thing around the time of the 386sx, but it never became popular.

I have always hated laptop keboards, and the display was always a waste of money - I used to use the customer display and keyboard when on site.

But now that flat displays are cheap and good, less reason to care if they bundle a display in with my portable desktop PC.

So the only reason to buy this is if they include the mains power supply in the package -- dongle power supplies are a pain in the butt, and one more thing to loose.

13. Tim Butterworth

One word...

Virtualization.

Cheap, can boot on their own, but will boot off the server when available. Ideal system for most work environments - run from the server based XP / Vista most of the time, but can still function on Linux if the server goes down. All at a very low price and comparitively low power consumption.

14. Uwe Dippel
    Thumb Up

Still the bird

... coming with the Acer ?? - Get me one !!

15. Ian Ferguson
    Thumb Up

Any excuse...

...for your editors to stick that piccy in a story.

Next week: Asus 'to continue manufacturing products' ;-)

16. Joe Stalin
    Thumb Up

Just like a...

If they use the laptop unit without the display paint it black and you could pretend you have your old ZX Spectrum.

17. John Wills
    Thumb Up

eeePC Laptop...

Got one of these, and it's nice. Keyboard's not the greatest, and I suspect that the rumoured 10.2" screen version would be better still in the usability stakes, but for 180 odd quid, it's a superb device for a small bag or largish coat pocket.

Already had it up and running with XP and a external keyboard/mouse/screen, and it's a great alternative to a slimclient plus a PDA. Startup time is not bad either. Recommended.

I take it a RegHardware review is in the offing,especially as it'd give the team a chance to run *that* photo again

18. Andy G
    Coat

@ Joe Stalin

got one if u REEEAAALLLYYYY want one ... lol

/coat

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like